Author Topic: Is there an inventor in the house?  (Read 2339 times)

Standing Wolf

• friend
Is there an inventor in the house?
« on: July 14, 2005, 06:38:39 PM »
Somebody with serious electronic knowledge? Radio-type expertise? Heck, I don't even know what it'd be called, much less what would be neededbut I've got to believe somebody could come up with a gadget to do this.

You know those cretins with the decrepit-looking rolling wrecks with the 8,000-watt stereos? You know the ones I'm talking about, right? The mental defectives who think half the town wants to listen to their ultra-super-duper bass noise at 3:30 in the morning?

I'd be de-glorious-lighted to pay $99.95 for a gadget with a button that I could aim at the nitwits' cars and disrupt the @#$%^&! out of their stereos. I don't necessarily want to damage them, you understand: just temporarily shut them off and/or turn the purported "music" into static.

If we can send people to the moon, we ought to be able to zap noise polluters, eh? If you can invent it, I'll do the marketing and advertising.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

myrockfight

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 07:10:12 PM »
Ha! I have often thought of the same invention. However, I would like to permanently damage them. I am kind of bad like that. What can I say? :shrug:

I was in a car accident a few years ago that made my ears overly sensitive to noise. I wear earplugs around 50% of the time. Needless to say I hate people who have loud stereos or Harleys. Mostly because they create excessive amounts of earsplitting noise when I am not expecting it and I don't have my earplugs in. To say it is discomforting is an understatement.

To tell you the truth, the Harley riders are typically more numerous and obnoxious than the kids with the stereos. As of late anways.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 07:15:38 PM »
It's called a cheap handgun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:55:02 PM »
Somebody with serious electronic knowledge? Radio-type expertise? Heck, I don't even know what it'd be called, much less what would be neededbut I've got to believe somebody could come up with a gadget to do this.

You know those cretins with the decrepit-looking rolling wrecks with the 8,000-watt stereos? You know the ones I'm talking about, right? The mental defectives who think half the town wants to listen to their ultra-super-duper bass noise at 3:30 in the morning?

I'd be de-glorious-lighted to pay $99.95 for a gadget with a button that I could aim at the nitwits' cars and disrupt the @#$%^&! out of their stereos. I don't necessarily want to damage them, you understand: just temporarily shut them off and/or turn the purported "music" into static.

If we can send people to the moon, we ought to be able to zap noise polluters, eh? If you can invent it, I'll do the marketing and advertising.
The device is called a HERF gun.  High Energy Radio Frequency.  Sorta like directional EMP blast.

Easy enough to build, but questionable legality.  Smiley

Edit : Google "HERF" or "HERF gun" for details and probably blueprints.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:57:56 PM »
Burn out my stereo and I may burn you out of your house.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 03:25:55 AM »
Most car audio equipment is pretty well shielded agianst RF interference already, cars are a noisy envoronment. If you had enough power, you could disrupt it, however such a device would definately be illegal under fcc regs. Plus anything that could cause harmful interference to a car stereo system could also easily interfere with important stuff, police radios, pacemakers, etc. Only thing I could think would be a low power tunable fm transmitter, which would work if the person was listening to the radio, or using an fm modulator that didn't patch into the coax. But I'd guess that more often than not they're listening to a CD, cause I've never heard commercials pipe out of a car like that.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 06:57:16 AM »
Howz about a feedback microphone hooked up to a bull horn?

the howl around would be deafening
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 07:40:34 AM »
I've got a degree in electronics engineering, although my skills are rather rusty. I mainly do DCL programming and general server babysitting now.

Can't think of anything where you can just push a button and fry a stereo, other than an EMP as someone else mentioned.

Along those lines, if you had something powerful enough, you could induce a current in his stereo and fry it that way, but that's not very practical, you would need something on the order of a lightning strike to create an induction current like that. (That's how computer electronics get fried by near lightning strikes.)

I once toyed with the idea of hooking a sub woofer up to an amplifier and a frequency generator (low frequency, sub-audible) and aiming it at the ceiling when my upstairs prick neighbor would crank up his stereo. Don't think I could get enough output to make his floor and walls shake though, maybe I will try it someday.

There is a new technology that I just heard about, it's sort of a directable beam audio. Apparently, when it is aimed properly, only the person it is aimed at can hear it. The possibilites for mischief with that are endless!

Yeesh I just looked at some of the specs on the HERF gun (thanks, Revdisk). 20 MEGAwatts!? That's the equivalent output of 5 million cb radios (legal power) keying up at the same time!

Good god, I don't think I would want to be anywhere near something like that when it goes off.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »
Wouldn't something like that also fry your stereo or even the car's electronics (computer, etc..)?

Wayne

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 03:49:49 PM »
Q- Beam

This is a proven method of getting some annoyances to stop immediatly. Most often without any evidence. Now if they run into a light pole...

...or if "somehow" an abusive person "accidently left HIS Q Beam on , and lens down on the seat of his truck whilst inside , drunk and beating the lady...and said truck catches on fire...well...stuff happens as they say.

Not that I would know anything about such matters you undertstand.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 04:26:53 PM »
"Schriner said he's built larger HERF guns capable of crashing computers and disabling automobiles at a range of 100 feet, with a cost as low as $300."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-515644.html?legacy=zdnn&chkpt=hpqs014

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 04:52:51 PM »
Yeesh I just looked at some of the specs on the HERF gun (thanks, Revdisk). 20 MEGAwatts!? That's the equivalent output of 5 million cb radios (legal power) keying up at the same time!

Good god, I don't think I would want to be anywhere near something like that when it goes off.
Heh.   Low powered amateurs.  Look up the watts tesla coils can crank out.  Wink

HERF is handy because one can make it very very direction.  EMP ish technology is not quiet as directional, but I've heard rumors of electronic warfare experiments to make EMP more ah, discriminating.

Again, mostly rumors, but the science is plausible enough.  People are researching ways of making electronic weapons that interfere with certain electrical processes inside the human body.   Properly, they can make a person just do the funky chicken dance or feel like their entire body is on fire.  Crudely, they can fry the brain.

Pentagon calls 'em "microwave guns" or something similiar.  Again, google should be able to turn up news articles on the technology.

Wouldn't something like that also fry your stereo or even the car's electronics (computer, etc..)?
If one didn't know what one was doing, yes.  If one used highly directional HERF, no.

Burn out my stereo and I may burn you out of your house.
Well put.  However, some practical application considerations.  HERF is invisible to the naked eye.  Unless you have shielded directional locators handy and turned on during the ELWAR attack, how would you know whose house to burn down?

As for stereos, you could probably build something that works on a taser principle.
Aren't most cars covered with plastic these days?  If you manage to hit the frame, isn't the frame grounded?  You'd need to hit the speakers or stero itself to 'taser' it.   Not the easiest shot in the world, you know.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

P95Carry

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 07:21:01 PM »
You need to gain car entry skills!  Then make sure to destroy the bass driver cones by any means.

Ooops - what am I saying?!  shocked
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site