Author Topic: Cigars  (Read 7816 times)

Third_Rail

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 08:42:25 AM »
Depending on how much I enjoy this cigar, I may just send away for a humidor from CheapHumidors.com - people at CA said it's a good site.

grislyatoms

• friends
Cigars
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2005, 03:14:28 PM »
3rd vote for Macanudos. Not too hard to find one (or several) you really like.

My personal favorite el cheapo cigar are Wolf Bros. Rum Crooks.

Kinda sweet, with an awesome rum flavor.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

InfidelSerf

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 03:26:40 PM »
I am not a cigar guy.. so I have no idea who makes them.
But the Maker's Mark cigars are pretty good. You have to have either Maker's and water or straight Maker's to enjoy with it.  
To be honest I just bought it because the glasstube with the signature wax caught my attention.  
But it was smooth and sweet like the bourban
http://www.makersmarkgourmet.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/line_cigar.htm?L+scstore+phww6578ff738673+1119144416
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

wmenorr67

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 04:20:35 PM »
Try www.thompsoncigars.com , they have grab bag specials all the time.  I got a humidor, 50 cigars, and a hat for something like $50.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Cigars
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »
Thompson's has done me right, as well.

Personal cigar preference: Onyx Reserve.
Zeke

TarpleyG

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2005, 01:37:26 PM »
Just FYI, I'd steer clear of Thompson's if you enjoy your privacy and solitude.  There are several other sites that have better prices and won't call you every day trying to get you to join their 'club'.

Here's a place I have used a couple times-- http://www.elitecigar.com

Greg

mhdishere

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 05:47:23 AM »
It's funny, every once in a while I get the urge to try a cigar but always shy away.  First, I'm asthmatic, although it's under control with meds now.  Second, I've never tried smoking tobacco in my life (and I'm 42 now, long story but both parents were heavy cigarette smokers, both have been gone for 15+ years).  I love the smell of a good cigar, maybe someday I'll stop in a smoke shop and get one or two to try.  I know of a shop that rolls their own cigars, I'd imagine I could get some advice there.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cigars
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2005, 10:32:56 AM »
Macanudo is perfect for beginners.

If you don't have a cutter, the CLOSED tip of a ball point pen, or even a nail works as a makeshift punch.

IMO.
One day at a time.

Risasi

• friend
Cigars
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2005, 01:53:03 PM »
If you can find them it is hard to go wrong with the Cinco Vegas line.
Double Corona are okay, Robustos better. Smooth, lots of smoke. Great for blowing rings. Shop these out, it used to be you could get them for $2-3 each. I think a friend of mine told me he got some just recently for about $40 a box.

Personally I have been on a CAO Mx2 Double Maduro kick lately. I also like the CAO Italia line.

I also like the Diabo Picante, it's got some bite to it.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Cigars
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2005, 04:26:01 PM »
There are a couple ways to "cut"  a cigar.  It will all boil down to preference.
The Punch
The Cutter
and The V cut.  

are common.

Punch is good for those who like chewing on cigars.  If you don't chew the end of the cigar to bits the cutte or V shapped cutter will work better for you.  When going for a cutter get a two blade job it makes a difference.  I just bought my dad a xikar cutter because they are subposed to be really good (it better be for the cost.)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Cigars
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 06:16:41 AM »
Punch=Bullet cutter? If so, I used to use them alot until I tried it on a cigar that was a little dry. After cleaning up the mess and trimming the damage away using a regular cutter I was able to smoke it. Sad

*Reminder* Don't let your cigars dry out.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Cigars
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 09:05:22 AM »
Exactly.  

If you can't get around to smoking it anytime soon and you have no humidor...try the freezer...its better than letting it dry out...or so I have been told

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Cigars
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 11:21:06 AM »
Quote from: J.J.
Exactly.  

If you can't get around to smoking it anytime soon and you have no humidor...try the freezer...its better than letting it dry out...or so I have been told
Normally I would toss one or two in a ziplock bag with a moist piece of paper towel. The cigar I had trouble with I had misplaced after a night of *fun* and found it about a week later. I needed a cigar one day and that was the only one I could find at the time.

I heard the opposite about putting cigars in the freezer, that it is not a good idea.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Cigars
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 12:49:55 PM »
Its better than nothing and they actually stay somewhat fresh for a long period of time...  they just dry out real fast once you take them out... Remeber this is just what I have been told I am a rare cigar smoker... usually a few times a year.. (when I see my dad and he gives me one to enjoy as we talk outside on the porch etc..)

I would think that the better place would be the produce drawer of the fridge.. think about it.. they usually are dark and cool... with a hint of moisture..

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Cigars
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 10:14:27 PM »
Those... "cigars" went bad before they even left the factory. Phillies are the Jennings of the cigar world. I like Romeo y Julietas a lot. They Reserve Maduro Lonsdale cigars are the best I've had so far.
Overseas, I smoked almost entirely the Cuban Romeo y Julietas.  Reasonable price, reasonable cigar.  The best Cuban?  Na.  In bulk from certain folks, I could pick them up for between $1 and $2 a cigar.  Foreign PX's are a LOT better than the American ones when it comes to tobacco.  Damn pink lungers seemed to be running our PX's.  

I agree with the reserve Maduro Lonsdale, also.  Not bad at all.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.