Author Topic: Just signed up for motorcycle safety class! And newbie bikes...  (Read 5514 times)

cfabe

• friend
Well I had a bike a couple years ago, a beat up honda CB650 that I spent more time fixing than riding. Didn't get into riding it much and sold it (at a profit) after a few months. A friend of mine just bought a new GSX-R 600  which has given me motorcycle envy agian. I probably won't be getting anything until spring, but I thought taking the MSF class would be a good idea this time. With the last bike I never really felt totally comfortable on it. Class is Aug 4th, and I can't wait.  Oh plus it gets me out of the state riding test, and is only $25.

I've still got some time to decide on what kind of bike to get,  but one that has really caught my eye is the Suzuki SV650. I don't think I'd be terribly comfortable on a true sportbike because of the agressive riding position, but this should be more comfortable, and I like the naked look.  I've read numerous reccomendations to start on a smaller, lighter bike and then step up to the SV after a while, which I agree with. For a starter bike, the Kawasaki ninja EX250 is often reccomended, and pretty cheap on the used market. I'm concerned that it might be a little underpowered for my 240lb butt. Maybe an EX500 would be better. Or maybe just start on the SV, which at least isn't as hard to control as a GSXR. Thoughts?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Just signed up for motorcycle safety class! And newbie bikes...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:46:34 PM »
THRer/APSer Dan Flory just bought a Ninja 250.  He had it over at the Alcazar del Tejon today.

Heck of a bike for the dough.  Seems to me a great starter bike.

Had a Kaw Vulcan ('85, IIRC) in undergrad myself.  Somehow chicks still managed to avoid me.  Hmmm.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

saxman357

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 05:35:03 PM »
As far as the EX250's power is concerned, keep in mind the redline is around 14K RPM, so it shouldn't be as underpowered as one might expect.  Never owned one, but would certainly wouldn't mind having one as a second bike.

My first bike was a Honda Nighthawk 750 - ended up using it for everything from learning to ride to commuting to cross county touring.  I'd imagine the SV650 would be somewhat comparable, albeit on the higher performance side of the spectrum.  In hindsight, I would recommend a smaller bike to start on, mainly for easier learning/practice with slow-speed maneuvering.

Where are you taking the class BTW?  I've only been trying to sign up for the OH basic course for the last 4 years... all the openings are filled every time.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 05:48:44 PM »
Sax, I'm taking it at polaris career center in middleburg heights. They just opened registration for the fall 05 and spring 06 classes online at 1am last night, so I was able to get into one of the first fall classes. It fills up really fast, about half of the classes they opened last night are already full.  At this time there are still openings in October, so if you happen to see this soon you can probably get in.  www.polaris.edu.

saxman357

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 05:55:46 PM »
Quote from: cfabe
Sax, I'm taking it at polaris career center in middleburg heights. They just opened registration for the fall 05 and spring 06 classes online at 1am last night, so I was able to get into one of the first fall classes. It fills up really fast, about half of the classes they opened last night are already full.  At this time there are still openings in October, so if you happen to see this soon you can probably get in.  www.polaris.edu.
Thanks!  Just signed up for the 9/29-10/2 class.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 08:22:48 AM »
EX 500, GS500, any 250-350 dual sport, and good new tires. Old tires(as in four years old) are hard and slippery. Have fun and practice quick stops.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 07:35:12 PM »
Found a good deal on a 1998 Ninja 250, will be picking it up this weekend.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:10:35 PM »
Good job on getting some refresher training.  I took the Team Oregon course which also got me out of the state test and just had to buy the endorsement Smiley.

I just picked up an Yamaha XS650.  My back just hurts too much for a sports bike (leaning forward all day long) so a normal tourist bike fits the bill.

Have fun with your bike (when you get) and be careful out there.  Just remember one thing, when you get on that bike, you become invisible to motorist Sad.

Wayne

...has left the building.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 07:08:01 PM »
As El Tejon said, I just purchased a 250R. I'm simply in love with this bike! It is PERFECT for my abilities right now as it is very forgiving but is still powerful enough for me to respect it. For example, this weekend I was riding and dumped the clutch from 4th to 5th which resulted in a slight loss of traction at the rear...had I been on a bike with more torque I probably would have had a handful. You will not be sorry about your purchase. Think of it this way, imagine a guy that starts on a .45ACP or .357mag vs. someone who buys a .22LR. Who do you think will be the better shooter in a year? I'm betting on the .22LR shooter because they can actually analyze each aspect of the shot because they're not too busy simply trying to learn how to control it.

BTW- The 250R is capable of a mid 14 quarter mile...how many cars can claim that? Respect the bike and analyze everything each day to become a better rider. Smiley

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 03:38:38 AM »
Well, I have a car right now that'll do 13 flat at 112mph, so at least the 250 won't cause me to loose interest in the car too soon!

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »
13 flat? NICE!!!

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 11:20:11 AM »
If I had any traction, I'd be in the low 12s, 112mph is really fast for a 13 second car, my 60 foot is like 2.3. Drag radials are on order.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
Pretty cool. Is it a car solely set up for drag or a street car?

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 07:11:58 PM »
It's set up as a street car. 82 trans am, newer interior, tweaked suspension,  6-speed manual trans, moderately built 350 small block with trick flow twisted wedge g2 heads fed 12psi by two intercooled T3 turbochargers, custom fuel injection and ignition. Approx 500-550 hp, in dire need of better rear tires, and shortly thereafter, a better rear axle. Fun stuff.  We've only had it to the track once after the latest rebuild, lots more tuning to do.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 11:49:10 AM »
Nice first bike... 250's hold their value well so if you sell it you'll recoup almost all of your investment.

.atek3

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 11:58:28 AM »
Atek ,that's the plan. I figure I'll probably be ready for an upgrade by next summer.