Author Topic: Dow 20K - Almost there!  (Read 1722 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dow 20K - Almost there!
« on: December 20, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
Just 30 points away from Dow 20K!

It looks like it's still going up from there. The analysts are nearly universal in 21K predictions sometime in the first quarter of 2018. Even Harry Dent, who ALWAYS talks about an imminent stock market crash to 10K has now said he expects at least 21K. He still expects his big crash, but even he is positive of a continued rally past 21K.

I expect at least a pullback after the emotion driven "magic even number" of 20K, just from people taking profits, but it looks like that will just be a small short dip before another rally. I'm probably going to still take some profits in my individual stocks after January, and then also move a little bit out of stocks in my retirement accounts.

I'll likely miss some of the ride, but there's going to have to be a drop at some point (maybe not a Harry Dent drop, but a drop) later next year. Now that I'm getting ready to use my retirement investment funds as income, I'm leaning conservative and protective. If there's a big drop, I'll realign and drop back in, at least on my taxable funds.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Dow 20K - Almost there!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
What?

I have it on good authority that the second Trump was appearing to win the Dow crashed, and it continues to crash....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
What?

I have it on good authority that the second Trump was appearing to win the Dow crashed, and it continues to crash....

Don't remind me. I was way too overly cautious on election night as well as the following few days. I missed out on some quick cash.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »
Don't remind me. I was way too overly cautious on election night as well as the following few days. I missed out on some quick cash.  :laugh:

Didn't we all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
Just 30 points away from Dow 20K!

It looks like it's still going up from there. The analysts are nearly universal in 21K predictions sometime in the first quarter of 2018. Even Harry Dent, who ALWAYS talks about an imminent stock market crash to 10K has now said he expects at least 21K. He still expects his big crash, but even he is positive of a continued rally past 21K.

I expect at least a pullback after the emotion driven "magic even number" of 20K, just from people taking profits, but it looks like that will just be a small short dip before another rally. I'm probably going to still take some profits in my individual stocks after January, and then also move a little bit out of stocks in my retirement accounts.

I'll likely miss some of the ride, but there's going to have to be a drop at some point (maybe not a Harry Dent drop, but a drop) later next year. Now that I'm getting ready to use my retirement investment funds as income, I'm leaning conservative and protective. If there's a big drop, I'll realign and drop back in, at least on my taxable funds.

I was so very disappointed when I re-read that and realized it was HARRY Dent and not HARVEY Dent. Cause THAT would be some stock picker.

(Also, I'm betting that Harvey's foolproof method of picking stocks will beat the average of all other stockpickers over time.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
So close. Apparently what's holding it back is that all the algorithms that use momentum as their primary calculation have been selling stocks. Darn Skynet. :)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
So close. Apparently what's holding it back is that all the algorithms that use momentum as their primary calculation have been selling stocks. Darn Skynet. :)

You'd prefer they use Joementum?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »

You'd prefer they use Joementum?

I'd prefer Larrymentum, Curlymentum, or even Shempmentum.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
Well, it finally broke 20K! It will be interesting to see what happens both short and mid-term now that the "emotional barrier" has been broken.