Author Topic: I I'm sitting the Virginia Governor's race out...  (Read 4209 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I I'm sitting the Virginia Governor's race out...
« on: November 06, 2005, 06:42:22 AM »
There are three candidates running

Democrat Tim Kaine, Republican Jerry Kilgore, and Independent Russ Potts.

NRA has, for some reason, endorsed Jerry Kilgore, but he's been a complete prick about answering survey questions from state gun rights organizations, specifically VCDL. His campaign people even severely dissed VCDL in the media a couple of weeks ago.

Potts and Kaine both have anti-gun records. Kaine is trying to coattail on Mark Warner's good pro-gun record, but I think he's a lying sack of crap.

Potts, as a legislator in the state, had a whole string of anti-gun votes. He's also an idiot, so he's right out.

That leaves Kaine and Kilgore. They're both idiots, they're both liars, they're both snakes, they're both scummy, they both leave a very disgusting impression...

When you get right down to it, their campaign stances outside of the firearms issue aren't that different, either. It's like looking at two poorly constructed clones, one more imperfect than the other in a great big circle of failure.

I simply can't vote for either one of them, either.

If this is the best that we can do in the Commonwealth for governor, God help us.

The Lt. Governor and Attorney General races offer clearly defined candidates. The one individual who really stands out in that pair of races is Leslie Byrne, candidate for Lt. Gov. She doesn't stand out because she's good, she stands out because she's so horrifically, cataclysmically BAD. She is perhaps the single most rabidly anit-gun person in the Commonwealth of Virginia. She is a horrific parriah, and must be stopped. The damage she could do if she reached the Governor's mansion can't be underestimated.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 01:00:53 PM »
Well, I suppose making no choice at all is still making a choice.  Can you write-in a vote?  If so, show up and put something on the ballot.

Greg

Chris Rhines

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 01:14:20 PM »
What in the hell is with Tim Kaine's eyebrow?  

- Chris

Spot77

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 05:15:42 PM »
If I lived in Virginia I'd Write "Mike Irwin" as my vote.

wouldn't it be great to get a few hundred votes for Irwin?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 06:47:29 PM »
No Libertarian candidate? At least you could respect his or her Second Amendment position.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 06:00:10 AM »
I'm with you, Mr. Irwin. However, I hope people disgusted with their choices for that office don't let it prevent them from going to the polls and voting for other positions, some of which DO have decent, pro-gun choices (some districts even have Libertarians to vote for Smiley).
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 06:03:23 AM »
Nope, no Libertarian candidate, although I AM voting for the libertarian candidate for House of Delegates in my district. The Democrat and Republican are both morons.

I'm voting Democrat for Attorney General, too. The guy the Republicans are fielding is soft on the gun issue and a little too fundamentalist Bible thumping even for me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Spot.

But as William T. Sherman said when people started floating his name around to be President... "If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 06:16:04 AM »
"That leaves Kaine and Kilgore. They're both idiots, they're both liars, they're both snakes, they're both scummy, they both leave a very disgusting impression..."

Well, yeah; they're pols, right?

The most recent VCDL newsletter pointed out that Kilgore made a speech recently that touched on gun rights. I got the impression he's fairly pro-RKBA. His arrogance still disgusts me, but as tight as the race apparently has become, I don't want to risk kaine winning. Reminds me of Bush-Kerry. Ugh.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 06:24:09 AM »
Based on Kilgore's weasel-assed approach to firearms issues as attorney general, and the scampering he did to avoid issuing an opinion on the restaurant ban issue, I have no faith in him to either promote or uphold firearms rights issues in the Commonwealth.

I also find some of his other campaign promises to be exceptional objectionable.

"Well, yeah; they're pols, right?"

There are politicians, there are Politicians, and then there are, worst of all, POLITICIANS.

These three asshats are POLITICIANS.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 06:58:49 AM »
Anyone else read the title of this thread and think it meant that Mike Irwin wasn't going to run for Governor this time around? Tongue

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 07:05:55 AM »
I made that decision months ago...

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 08:49:13 AM »
what makes this election all the more annoying is that not only are we going to get one of these slime balls in office, but we have to lose mark warner to do it.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 04:08:34 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling nauseous about voting for Governor in VA.  I guess the silver lining is that we're only stuck with whoever it is for 4 years.

Just found out where my voting location is.  It's almost 5 miles from my house.  That seems very strange to me.  This is the first place I've lived that I couldn't walk to the polling place.
Experiment with a chemist!

griz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 10:48:37 AM »
That's about my take on the deal too. I'm on my way to vote right after this post, and I think I'll vote for Potts. Not a 2A vote, but he is the only one who answered questions with straight answers instead of polished political sound bites. I would rather vote for an honest guy I disagree with than a weasel that shares my views. I just wish he wasn't crazy. Oh well, no winners in this race. Sad
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 05:29:40 PM »
i voted for the bond issue, bolling, deeds, and irwin. had to try out the write in system. it's not qwerty o_O

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 05:34:47 PM »
Well, I spent several hours last night reviewing as much as I could on Kaine and Kilgore, and I finally came to the conclusion that I was going to VERY reluctantly cast my vote for Kilgore.

Not that it mattered much, hell, not that it mattered at all. Kilgore has apparently lost Northern Virginia by 22 points.

Wow.

Pauli, thanks for the vote for Gov.

I think that's the first one I've ever gotten. Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 05:36:07 PM »
God, the Lt. Gov. race is still neck and neck.

Leslie Byrne has GOT to lose, Dammit!

OK, the Washington (Com)Post is calling the Lt. Gov's race for Bolling.

Creigh Deeds is trailing by something like 6,000 votes in AG's race. Go Creigh!

P95Carry

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 06:26:47 PM »
I'd add a Gov vote for ya too Mike! Smiley  Va needs some solid 2a governorship.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 04:47:45 AM »
Looking at the raw numbers, Kaine didn't so much "win" as Kilgore blew it with voters like Mike.  The media's portrayal that VA was a "sweep" and it shows that the Dems doing so much better is really really ticking me off.  

Governor
Republican 884575
Democrat   992087

Lt. Governor
Republican 978835
Democrat   949811

Doing some sloppy statistics,
# of Republican Lt. Governor votes - # # of Republican Governor votes = 94,260
So over 90K people were willing to pull the lever for a republican LG, but not for the gov.

Total # voters in the governors race 1,876,662
Total # voters in the LG race 1,928,646
Difference 51,984!!!
51,894 people sat out the governor's race

Observations (from an amateur):
The race for AG is still tied.  The democrat had an A rating from the NRA.   Would Kilgore have fared better with a solid second amendment record/commitment?
Experiment with a chemist!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 05:15:06 AM »
There were some really interesting dynamics at work in the three races.

Kaine slaughtered Kilgore in Northern Virginia, including areas in the outer counties were the Republicans normally do well. I think that has a lot to do with simple proximity to DC and all the negative news that's been pouring out of there for Republicans lately.

Leslie Byrne is a Northern Virginian, Bolling isn't. I'll be interested in seeing how much of her support came from NoVA, and how much (or little) of it came from downstate, where NoVans have always had a much harder time of it.

And let's face it -- Kilgore never had a very effective counter to Kaine's exhortations to continue Virginia's direction. Warner has something like an 80% approval rating in the state, and that was a HUGE obstacle for Kilgore. How do you really counter that?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 05:34:08 AM »
And let's face it -- Kilgore never had a very effective counter to Kaine's exhortations to continue Virginia's direction. Warner has something like an 80% approval rating in the state, and that was a HUGE obstacle for Kilgore. How do you really counter that?
Yup.  I never heard Kilgore explain why I should vote for him.  All I ever heard from his camp were attacks on Kaine and on what should've been his supporters.

Chris

XLMiguel

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 11:21:08 AM »
I had to hold my nose & vote for Kilgore (actually,was a vote against Kaine).  I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Kaine after he used city money to bus people to the MMM march back when he was mayor or Richmond angry

I haven't voted "for" anyone in years, it's alway the lesser fo two evils.  It's such a shame that there is such a dearth of leadership both nationally and at the state level.