Author Topic: the watch you need  (Read 593 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: the watch you need
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2024, 12:12:40 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2024, 01:37:48 AM »
A few years ago I bought a $5 wristwatch from Aldi.  It had no markings on the face, just hour and minute hands (maybe a second hand, I don't remember.)  Chinese watch with a Chinese or Japanese quartz movement.  It actually kept good time, and I quickly got good at figuring out the time just from the angles of the hands relative to the axis of the band or maybe the stem.  I quit using it after about a year and a half when the band broke and a new band would cost more than the watch.  The watch still worked and was on the original battery.

As a skyintifikil 'sperimink, I put an hour hand on an extra e-clock movement with no minute hand.  I use it in the kitchen. I was surprised how precisely I could estimate x รท 60 minutes on it just from the position of that lonesome hour hand between the numbers.  The clock is accurate OK, and the precision was kind of amazing.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 01:53:32 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2024, 09:39:42 PM »
Chris, they let you wear a watch? Watches, rings, etc., etc., do not do well around rapidly spinny thingies...

A kid I know managed to acquire a degloving about a year ago...

I got little bb's from welding splatter on a gshock I picked up cheap at a pawn shop, but other than the band attracting dirt - it has been fine.
the safety guy and I have talked about watches so I guess "they let me" - they do tell us not to look at our phones but also all our bennies/time off request/paychecks are on the phone now.

I hope I'll be ok
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."