Author Topic: illegal alien still wants to get a law license  (Read 8576 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
illegal alien still wants to get a law license
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:01:30 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/mr2rjqt

SAN FRANCISCO — A majority of California Supreme Court justices appeared reluctant Wednesday to grant a law license to Sergio Garcia, who graduated law school and passed the state's bar exam but has been living illegally in the United States for 20 years.

A federal law passed by Congress in 1996 bars immigrants in the country illegally from receiving "professional licenses" from government agencies or with the use of public funds unless state lawmakers specifically vote otherwise.

"Congress wanted political accountability," Justice Ming Chin said in expressing doubt the court could grant Garcia his license without a specific law enacted by the state Legislature.

Justice Goodwin Liu said it was "commonsensical" that Congress meant to include lawyer licenses in the law.

The five other justices on the court made similar comments, essentially arguing that the law bars them from making Garcia a lawyer unless the state Legislature acts.

The court has 90-days to rule in a case that has garnered national attention, putting the Obama administration against state officials who supported Garcia's application.

Outside of court, Garcia expressed optimism that the Supreme Court would rule in his favor despite the tough questions asked of the lawyers who spoke on his side during an hour of oral arguments.

If he does lose, Garcia vowed to continue fighting to become a California lawyer either through the state Legislature or in the federal courts.

"This is about trying to live the American Dream and showing other immigrants that hard work and dedication does mean something in this country," he said.

Somehow I have lived all this time laboring under the impression that even lawyers believed in the rule of law.  Which is why this intereloper's actions irritate me.  Three years in law school, learning all the theories and philosiophies about how and why the laws are the way they are, and the first thing you do is to try and not just evade but actively break the law.  That's the kind of lawyer that I'm sure everybody will be lining up to retain - not.

That, and the fact that if he had been the 17-month old child of an American citizen who illegally entered Mexico he would get the same treatment from the Mexican government but there would be no army of professional advocates for his "right" to get a law license and practice law in Mexico, and the only public outcry would be over the fact that he had not yet been deported.

I agree that it sucks to be the "victim" of the illegal acts of your parents.  But your argument ought to be with them, not with trying to evade the law even further.  Take your law degree back to Mexico and see if they will give you a law license.  Or go through the process of trying to become legal here.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: illegal alien still wants to get a law license
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »
His loophole is that the bar is not gov

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: illegal alien still wants to get a law license
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »
Apparently, he has applied for citizenship.  Not really knowing much about immigration law, is there anything he can do to expedite the process?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »
^^^ Yes.

Garcia first came to the U.S. with his family from Mexico when he was 17 months old. He returned to Mexico with his mother when he was 9 and came back eight years later and applied for citizenship in 1994, sponsored by his father, who is now an American citizenship.

Garcia estimates that it could take another five years for his application to be approved given the backlog of applications.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
I'm ok with this guy getting a pass.  He tried to do things the correct way and is obviously an industrious person.  We want people like him (regardless of the black mark of becoming a lawyer).

Chris

Papini Guido

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 04:43:58 AM »
The fact that illegal aliens are getting a driver’s license is absurd enough. But to complain about it because Dynam Messerschmitt BF109. properly identifies their legal status is simply beyond comprehension. I guess that, for the estimated 1.8 million illegal aliens, leaving the US is simply not an option. [ar15]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:06:33 AM by adively »
I am a stupid sig line spammer.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »
Wait, you want to deport him in a classic Nazi airplane?

[popcorn]

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:26:04 AM »
Do we have a resident Italian automotive mechanic now?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
Wait, you want to deport him in a classic Nazi airplane?

[popcorn]

You are going to have to wait for a long time for a response from Papini Guido as the ban hammer is quick.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:32:19 PM »
You are going to have to wait for a long time for a response from Papini Guido as the ban hammer is quick.

He just came to post the responses that others won't post.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Levant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »
I'm ok with this guy getting a pass.  He tried to do things the correct way and is obviously an industrious person.  We want people like him (regardless of the black mark of becoming a lawyer).

Chris

There are many, many, thousands of people who are trying to do things the correct way.  This guy is not one of them.  The correct way is to go to the US Embassy in the country of your birth or citizenship and apply for a visa to go to the United States for school and/or for citizenship or residency.  This is a guy who has cheated the system his entire life and has found yet another way to cheat the system and make a great living doing it.

How has he legally paid taxes for the last 20 years?  He's committed crimes every year he has been in the US.  Oh wait.  This guy is probably an ideal candidate for becoming an attorney.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
There are many, many, thousands of people who are trying to do things the correct way.  This guy is not one of them.  The correct way is to go to the US Embassy in the country of your birth or citizenship and apply for a visa to go to the United States for school and/or for citizenship or residency.  This is a guy who has cheated the system his entire life and has found yet another way to cheat the system and make a great living doing it.

How has he legally paid taxes for the last 20 years?  He's committed crimes every year he has been in the US.  Oh wait.  This guy is probably an ideal candidate for becoming an attorney.

how do you imagine he avoided taxes?
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/undocumented-immigrants-taxes_n_3587378.html
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2017113852_immigtaxes29.html
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
He did apply for citizenship in 1994 and is awaiting approval.  He paid for his own education via his own means rather than asking for a handout.

The fact that he applied 19 years ago and is still waiting is testament to how screwed up our system is and why so many people enter illegally.  Given his work ethic and intelligence (say what you will about lawyers, he did earn a law degree and passed the bar on the first try), I say grant him a green card while he waits for the citizenship process to complete.  I'll take 20 of these guys over 1 "American" who does nothing but sponge off the system.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
+ eleventy, Chris.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »
He did apply for citizenship in 1994 and is awaiting approval.  He paid for his own education via his own means rather than asking for a handout.

The fact that he applied 19 years ago and is still waiting is testament to how screwed up our system is and why so many people enter illegally.  Given his work ethic and intelligence (say what you will about lawyers, he did earn a law degree and passed the bar on the first try), I say grant him a green card while he waits for the citizenship process to complete.  I'll take 20 of these guys over 1 "American" who does nothing but sponge off the system.

Chris

He applied for citizenship as an illegal alien.  He's a criminal.  He's sucking my tax dollars as I pay for him and his employer who aren't paying their fair taxes.

There are people who came here legally and have worked hard.  But they're not allowed to go to school and train for new jobs.  THey're given visas to come work and can't change careers or do anything to further themselves without losing their visas.  They go home for vacation and can't get back.  There are a lot of people who follow the law and are rejected every year.  I have no interest at all in giving a break to a 20 year criminal over those who really are working hard and following the law and can't get in either.

Here's the right answer, taken from the article:

"Garcia is not qualified to practice law because he continually violates federal law by his presence in the United States," former State Bar prosecutor Larry DeSha said in one of the few "friend of the court" briefs filed opposing Garcia's licensing.
NEOKShooter on GRM

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Hasn't he missed at least one amnesty since then?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Levant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
I think the only amnesty was Reagan's in 1986 so that guy may not have been here at the time.  The article isn't exactly clear on dates and facts - but then, articles promoting special privilege for criminals rarely are.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Levant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »
The guy is an admitted felon.  Can you be a lawyer and a felon?

Section 1325 [of Title 8, Chapter 12, Subchapter II, Part VIII]. [U.S. Code as of: 01/06/03]

Improper entry by alien

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection;

misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States

at any time or place other than as designated by immigration

officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration

officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United

States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the

willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first

commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or

imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent

commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or

imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

NEOKShooter on GRM

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »
The guy is an admitted felon.  Can you be a lawyer and a felon?

Actually given the penalties specified in that section of the US Code, and the guidelines from this section, I'm fairly certain he's only guilty of a class B misdemeanor. If he got caught, deported, then came back in, then he's guilty of a class E felony (the least felonious class of felonies specified in Title 18). Criminal either way, though.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »
It doesn't say caught and come back; it just says for a second offense.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
Pretty sure that for something to be legally a second offense, you would have to have been found guilty in a court of law of the first offense, which would require getting caught.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »
The law says second offense, not second conviction.  I'm pretty sure you'd be mistaken. 
NEOKShooter on GRM

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
My thought this morning is that I am tired of making exceptions to the law everytime someone comes up with a sob story.  At some point, we need to set the law where it is and enforce it equally.  The entire immigration law is mess because we set the law strictly on one hand and on the other we add in a multitude of exceptions and loopholes and allowances such that the law is impossible to enforce.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
The law says second offense, not second conviction.  I'm pretty sure you'd be mistaken. 

you would be pretty sure
you would also be VERY  wrong

Levant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »

you would be pretty sure
you would also be VERY  wrong

Based on what precedent?
NEOKShooter on GRM