Author Topic: What's your opinion of Sears?  (Read 4416 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
What's your opinion of Sears?
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Sears has come up a couple times lately, and not much good has been said. I'll keep my opinion to myself since I work there :lol: but I would like to hear the opinions of those I respect more than most.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: What's your opinion of Sears?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »
Not much.  :|

I have no reason to shop there since I can find the same products in many other places, most of which have a better atmosphere and similar prices.  All the Sears stores I've been in remind me of Kmart stores: a little run down, dingy, and crowded with merchandise.

If the Craftsman line of tools was still high quality with a lifetime guarantee, I would shop at Sears again, but only for the tools.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:34:15 PM »
I have no problems with Sears, except that I find them to, usually, be too expensive.

Most goods that can be found elsewhere are usually more expensive at sears.

Some of their goods are of the quality that the prices may be justified- I buy tools there and, when I do buy appliances, I will likely buy them there.

I don't shop there very often, though.

I think we got a very nice deal on a George Foreman there the last time I bought anything.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »
This is a discussion of Sears tools; since that's the only thing I've really bought at Sears:

I've found that in the past, the quality of standard consumer grade items was generally better with a brand name vs an off-brand.

I personally don't find that this holds true today.  Why should I buy a Craftsman branded tool when I can buy the same (off-brand) tool, made with equal quality steel, hardened and held to the same tolerances for half the price?

Brand names != quality.  Not anymore.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »
Sears lost my business in the 1990s when it became apparent its nationwide policy was to gouge customers for automobile repairs. I got ripped off by the Discover Card, which Sears owned, about that same time. I've seen the quality of Lands' End merchandise drop through the floor since Sears bought it.

I'll take my dollars elsewhere.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
i think the only thing i really bought at sears (and this was long ago) was clothing and no, i was not a fan, for the same reason i am not a fan of any deparment store. my age group is limited to size skinny to size almost skinny, with no allowances for young women's clothing to fit a girl with some curves.
its either buy old lady clothes or shop elsewhere. i'll shop elsewhere.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
Craftsman tools aren't lifetime warranteed any more?

I bought a set of long wrenches about 10 years ago.  I got craftsman because they were supposedly under warranty for life.

If that's the case, Sears lost my last reason for me to shop there anymore.  I usually buy craftsman grade hand tools, but I'll do home depot or whatever instead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
About 10-15 years ago, we had a chest freezer lose its compressor. Fine. I can order a new one, and a bud who does HVAC will help me put it in. No big deal.

So I tell my mother to call Sears, give them the number of the freezer, and find out how much a compressor costs.

Next day, I'm in the apartment, and there's a receipt on top of the freezer. Sears insisted on sending a repairman. Who charged my mother $75 to tell her that the compressor was bad. Who gave an estimate of about $350 to fix a freezer that I could replace (and upgrade) for $300.

I don't buy anything at Sears unless it's a serious loss-leader or in the closeout/scratch'n'dent area.

Blog under construction

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
The quality at most (not all) places has gone down the tubes in recent years. You have to admit, Sears really supportsd the troops. I've heard this before and saw it on NBC news a couple nights ago: Sears employees who get deployed, keep their job, and benefits, and Sears makes up the difference in pay. Seem to recall about 250 deployed at present. How many other employers do that?

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »
Craftsman tools aren't lifetime warranteed any more?

I bought a set of long wrenches about 10 years ago.  I got craftsman because they were supposedly under warranty for life.

If that's the case, Sears lost my last reason for me to shop there anymore.  I usually buy craftsman grade hand tools, but I'll do home depot or whatever instead.

The craftsman brand hand tools are under a lifetime warranty, IIRC.  But, that's not very unique anymore.  Lowe's house brand, Kobalt also carry a lifetime warranty (which I've used when I broke a tool due to my negligence - it's was very painless to replace, even sans receipt.)  Harbor Freight's hand tools are ever lifetime warrantied these days.  (Never broke one of those though.)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
Well, most quality stuff doesnt exist any more since manufacturing has moved to the 3rd world.  Most places sell crap that they get cheap but sell for high prices.

I almost wish oil would have stayed above $100.00 a barrel.  A lot of manufacturers were considering re opening their plants here because transportation costs were killing them.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
I've only ever bought tools at Sears. I haven't had a need to buy an appliance for years, and the clothes aren't something I would wear. 
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
Like Target, but more expensive. 
Only thing I buy at sears is craftsman tools.  The warranty makes me a lifetime craftsman fan.  The rest of the store could burn down around the tool department for all I care.
Oh, and we have a sears appliance outlet in town...that place rocks for appliances.  Service there blows, delivery takes half a year, but the prices are good.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »
Sears is OK.  But I really hate the process of telling the clerk what I want and then having to pick up the item at customer pick up.  The efficiency of that process is pretty much like dealing with a government agency...and the worker's attitudes are similar as well.  I like the Kenmore brand though...it usually fares well in Consumer Reports.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
We got our low-end mower, grill, washer and dryer there.  We found that Sears was about the only place that has a couple of options for lower end stuff that is fairly durable and isn't horribly obnoxious about selling the cheap stuff.  I like that they will help load up large items.  Very handy with a kiddo underfoot.  I like their tools.

That said, yeah, they are kinda' K-marty in the crowded dinginess of the stores.  And yeah, I got scammed on a set of tires about ten years ago.  I certainly don't go there regularly.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »
Most of my tools are Craftsman, and I'm big on Sears appliances. My mom is on her 2nd Kenmore right now, going strong at 20 years with no repairs (the last one went about the same). I've got a 12 year old Kenmore fridge, also no repairs and my front load washer and dryer are Kenmore (only 5 years old, so jury is still out). That said, I mostly buy stuff from them when it's on sale. I bought my Sony Aquos from Sears on sale, and it was the cheapest price in town during the sale.

I've actually also had good luck with Sears auto -- Diehard batteries are my standard replacement. I've also had good service with minor stuff I can't or don't want to do like wheel balancing, brakes, and coolant flushing. Fast service and good prices.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
I have had good luck with Craftsman tools, Kenmore washer/dryers, Diehard batteries and auto oil changes.  I can't really think of anything else that I buy at Sears.

MGL

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 05:24:18 PM »
We like the Kenmore appliances, although the quality isn't what it used to be.  I have a 1973 Coppertone (remember those?) refrigerator at my shop that we bought new and replaced with another Kenmore fifteen years ago.  The old one has to be defrosted a couple times a year now, but still works fine.

I have quite a few Craftsman tools, both hand and power, and my fifteen year old mower is a Craftsman.  I prefer Snap-On tools, but they are way too expensive for a home mechanic.

I did have an issue with a water heater about three years ago.  It went out under warranty, so I went and talked to the appliance manager.  He told me it was going to cost me $100 to have the repairman look at it, and then $50 to replace it, plus $25 to take it down the stairs.  This was for a $200 water heater.

I suspected he was lying about the $100 charge (he was), so I told him to send the repairman out.  Repairman confirmed it was bad and covered, so I went back to Sears to get my new unit.  The manager asked me where I wanted it installed and I told him I would just pick it up at the dock and install it myself.  Then, he told me he needed the old one back, for inventory purposes.

I picked up my new one, installed it, and then hauled the old one back to Sears.  The guy at the loading dock asked why I was returning it.  "Because Mike said he needs it."  The dock guy just rolled his eyes and took the old heater.

I always wondered what Mike said when he found out I had delivered it back to the store.  But hey, it had to go somewhere, and I didn't have to take it to the dump.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »
I rarely frequent Sears, nowadays.

Just not conveniently located for me, as I avoid malls.

I have a few of their products, all home & garden & tools.

They are just not a factor when Home Depot is a couple miles up the road.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 06:36:20 PM »
I don't know why, but when I need tools or clothes, or appliances, or electronics, or whatever, I just completely forget about Sears.  Not because I don't like them, but I just forget they're there.  This despite the fact that I work at a mall where Sears is one of our last remaining anchor stores.  I trim their hedges and shovel their sidewalks, but besides that I forget about them. 

Like after I got off work today, I was looking for a portable CD player/radio for my Dad's shop.  I had already looked at Target, so instead of stopping in at Sears, I went to the crummy, ghetto Wal-Mart that I hate.  Didn't find much at Wal-Mart, either.

When I'm looking for tools, I prefer the True Value and Ace hardware stores, instead of those behemoth Home Depot and Lowe's stores.  If the small hardware stores aren't open or don't have what I want, I'd probably go to Sears, if I actually remembered Sears was there.  I have a good opinion of their hand tools, but I tend to think of their newer power tools as being low-quality. 

I am very cheap when it comes to clothes, but I did find some good stuff at Sears when I wondered in there recently - cargo pants for about fifteen bucks.  They also had some Dickies stuff and I have been meaning to go back and maybe buy a jacket or some jeans.  A lot of APS folks were offended by their introducing the Big Red One (1st Infantry Division) clothing label.  I saw that stuff.  It looks good.  I would have bought some, if not for the price. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
Kenmore used to be the only appliances my family would touch.

Now days, not so.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kwelz

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »
Sears is evil.  In recent years they have become a company that just doesn't care.  At most stores if they sell you something that is broken they will try to fix it.  Sears won't, screw up and overcharge you?  To bad, so sad.

I refuse to set foot in a Sears anymore. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 09:02:55 PM »
My wrenches and sockets are Craftsman, I break them, they replace them.

Sears closed in my town, but I can go to Kmart and get my tools replaced now.

I put my 1/2 drive ratchet in a 4' cheater bar to break a bolt loose, I ended up breaking the ratchet instead, the replaced it no questions asked. I have since bought a 24" breaker bar if I need to so that again.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »
The was a Sears Hardware store near my old house.  I used to get all my tools there.  They would have sale bins of small stuff up front a lot.  Since I moved, I have little reason to go to the local Sears store.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 09:35:39 PM »
I recently purchased a riding lawn mower. 19 horse, 42" cut. It was a returned unit. I figured it would have something wrong with it. But, hey for almost $500.00 less than list I figured it would be worth it.

After using it a couple of times I noticed the transmission was leaking fluid onto the right rear wheel. I decided I would load it onto my trailer and take it the 35 miles to Temple to the repair shop, and I would still be ahead of the list price by a long shot. When I called to set up the drop off, they informed me they would come out and fix it. REALLY? Well, cool come on down.

They came out, checked it out and ordered the part. The part was shipped to the house. We called the guy to let him know the part had arrived. He came back out and fixed it.

Cost $0.00.

Best $500.00 I've ever saved in my life.

Other than having a cordless 12 volt drill catch fire in my hand, I've always been pleased with there tools.