Author Topic: What's Your Story?  (Read 10406 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
What's Your Story?
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
I'm gonna just toss this out on the table and say that for most of the folks here who post using a handle instead of their name that there is a story about how one acquired that handle. Those stories will range from interesting to funny to boring to wow and will in most cases be worth a read.

Here's mine:

During my service in the US Navy full beards were permitted. Though I normally wear a goatee, on my 1st Med deployment I decided to grow a full beard. My beard line is high up on my face almost to my eyes. When my shipmates saw it in full bloom more than one commented that I looked like a Werewolf. The name stuck and for the rest of my Naval service I was called wolf or werewolf by my shipmates - especially when on the beach.

What's your story?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: What's Your Story?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »
Well, I was Delta9, because my first "real" kite was a delta with a 9' wingspan.  I like kites, even if I don't have much time for them.

That changed when I was thinking about attempting to join the service as a lawyer.  I figured (mostly correctly) that the physical requirements would be more lax for lawyers and I had a shot at getting in.  Turns out that I'm way too decrepit to even lawyer for the Marines, or even the Navy, but when I was still working on that, I googled me one night just in a random attempt to see what made it to google, and learned that Delta9 is a somewhat obscure but still pretty clear reference to marijuana.  I didn't think that either bar associations (I'm almost certainly flagged for extra investigation when I apply to the bar) or the military would be cool with that, so I changed it.

Now I'm bridgewalker, because it's about as harmless as it gets and ever since kiddo #1 was born, my family walk the Mackinaw Bridge every Labor Day.  Kiddo will walk is for the fourth time this fall, when she's three years old, and kiddo #2 will only be a bit over a month old, but she'll come too.  I like all things Michigan, and the Bridgewalk is as Michigan an event as it gets.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
I chose mine because when I first got into firearms I was partial to Smith & Wesson.

Also, I'm not afraid to clue cyberspace in to the fact that I'm a female...who likes guns.  :cool:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:47:07 PM by LadySmith »
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
I'm from Central New York and I'm into geocaching.  Threads on the geocaching forums about which guns to carry which caching, and someone's sig line link to www.a-human-right.org is what got me on THR and eventually APS.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »
I chose mine because I am unimaginative, lazy, and have a complete lack of interest in being someone else, even for you bunch of crazies.  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
Mine is going to be a boring one... :laugh:

I'm into amateur astronomy (as well as geology somewhat) so Regolith made a natural handle.  "Regolith" is the dusty/rocky surface covering of celestial bodies such as the moon and Mars.  It's also a name for a rock layer here on earth, and means "blanket of stone" when translated from Greek.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:34:54 PM »
I lived in New Zealand for a year as an exchange student.  My host family never had kids of their own and had forgotten how much a 16-17 year old boy can eat.  My host-dad took to calling Sump, because like a sump you could just pour stuff into me and it disappeared.  I was probably eating 4-5000 calories a day and was not gaining weight.  I was close to my current 6' and tipped the scales at a whopping 145lbs. 

After returning home email was just starting to get popular enough that I decided to sign up for a Yahoo mail account.  After a few tries at a handle based on my name without success I decided to try sumpnz in reference to the nickname Sump and the fact that it came from NZ. 
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:44:07 PM »
1.  Brad Johnson is not the real Brad Johnson.  I went to school with Brad Johnson, and you sir, are no Brad Johnson.  =D

Scout26 was my "Hollywood" radio call sign while I was platoon leader in the army.   

Callsigns break down thusly:

(Catchy nickname) then
1- S-1 (Personnel)
2- S-2 (Intel)
3- S-3 (Plans and Ops)
4- S-4 (Logistics)
5- XO (Executive Officer)
6- Commander
7- Senior Enlisted (Either 1st Sergeant or Sergeant Major)

Platoon Leaders are then 16, 26, 36, 46 and platoon sergeants are 17, 27, 37, 47.

I could have been Stinger 35 (From when I was deputy Provost Marshal), etc... but I had already started using scout26 before I got off active duty. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »
I picked mine in my very early teens because it sounds cool.

No seriously, that's almost all there is to it.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 03:10:11 PM »
I was in Navy bootcamp in 1988. My CC was walking down the line reading off names. He got to me and said "Wing---? More like wingnut!" and kept going. It stuck, and there are still a lot of people that call me that. Not bad, as far as nicknames go.

I added an 'x' to the end when some some guy on IRC kept taking my nick, and I use the same name everywhere I post.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »
Mine needs to be changed once I get creative.  I started at THR trying to figure out the value of a .41 magnum pistol I inherited thinking that would be about all the involvement I had in that forum...

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
As explained at least once before, I seem to have the inate ability to bring people to a sudden and alarming stop by asking the right question(s) at the right time.  Someone in the bureauracracy once said that they could tell where I had been by all the skidmarks in the hallways - thus my name.

I had to be "vaskidmark" here because I somehow screwed up my initial registration and could not get it back.  I added my geographical location, and here I now am. =D

The tag phrase I sign off with came from Vietnam, when everyone was advising me to "take care."  I appreciated the advice, but always replied with my own wish that they "stay safe."

stay safe.

skidmark
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:21:47 PM by vaskidmark »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »
mine is what the kids at day care call me when i drop off the brats
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
Well, it's because I have an extra...

No, seriously, back in '92 out of High School I had a job selling PC's from a local IT/mainframe firm that did wholesale builds for the smaller mom-n-pop PC stores. The guy I shared the office with thought it was funny that I'd say "Dual Floppies" when taking orders from these computer stores.

He then assumed everyone with a first name of "Andrew" had a middle name of "Jackson" because of the president. I informed him it was not true, but he started calling me "AJ Dual" on and off. He was a nice guy to share an office with and it didn't bother me.

When I left the company, I forgot about the nickname for some time.

I had a variety of names on the internet pre-web, and when I started posting on web boards, I was often "Andrew Walkowiak" due to a lack of imagination.  I noticed people were sometimes having trouble referring to me or quoting me because of my "complicated" last name. The only nickname I've ever had that I could recall was "AJ Dual".

Since I mostly reside on the various gun forums, it kind of fit. Perhaps it has connotations of a cowboy with a "dual rig", or Dueling. (shrug)
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
First intarwebz forum I joined was TFL and I saw everyone else there had aliases... many of which were based on favored firearms.  Very very few people used real names.

I've just kept the same handle I came up with for that site, and used it elsewhere.  I've used this handle on martial arts forums, tech support forums and other places.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »
1.  Brad Johnson is not the real Brad Johnson.  I went to school with Brad Johnson, and you sir, are no Brad Johnson.  =D

That's not what the voices tell me... :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
Charby? Some hooker I met in Shanghai.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
I'm a mountain biker.  Actually, I ride more on the road these days, but I've had "mtnbkr" since 1996, so I just stick with it.  Except on bike boards, where it's almost always in use. :)

Chris

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
Back when I was a kid and my father set up our first dial-up internet account he shortened our last name and used "fabe" for the login. A few years later I added my first initial to it when I got my own account, and have been using it since. Not really all that interesting.

Teknoid

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
Boring, really. There was a local pizza place (late '70's) in my town that had some strange character on its commercials called "The Noid". I suppose I was considered equally strange. I ended up repairing friend's radios, stereos, TVs, and other electronic doo-dads. Somebody tagged me with the label, and it stuck. 30+ years later, I'm still fixing stuff (more advanced, but still stuff).

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 04:11:46 PM »
Harry Tuttle: Bloody paperwork. Huh!
Sam Lowry: I suppose one has to expect a certain amount.
Harry Tuttle: Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form.
Harry Tuttle: ...well, that's a pipe of a different color.
Harry Tuttle: Listen, this old system of yours could be on fire and I couldn't even turn on the kitchen tap without filling out a 27b/6... Bloody paperwork.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
Started my web life as SA (San Antonio) Scott, and after several relocations became SAD (initials) Shooter (why I participate in most of the forums I do.) About as vanilla as it gets, I suppose.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »
Harold Tuttle, thanks for the flashback to Brazil.  I had forgotten that clip.  Excellent movie, Brazil

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »
My screen name comes from a small suburban bedroom community in Snohomish County, about 25 miles north of Seattle. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
Everyone was fistful something or other at one time in the distant past. I'd seen a film/picture of Telly Savalas, so I decided to do put the two together.
The old moniker is Geronimo45, which comes from owning a .45 and adopting the pseudonym Geronimo during a Physics lab. There were only two people left in the course, and I was half of them. Only one lab report was turned in per team, so it stood to reason that the names were pretty unimportant.
It was a fun lab, though, sometimes. Proved that water doesn't freeze at 0 F.  :laugh: