Author Topic: What's Your Story?  (Read 10409 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: What's Your Story?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »
Texas A&M, Mechanical Engineering, Class of 1994.  I started using the name on a couple Aggie forums and decided to keep it on THR and here.  
Yes, it is boring and not much of a story.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »
Texas A&M,

Always knew there was something a little wrong with you... =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »
Everyone was fistful something or other at one time in the distant past. I'd seen a film/picture of Telly Savalas, so I decided to do put the two together.
The old moniker is Geronimo45, which comes from owning a .45 and adopting the pseudonym Geronimo during a Physics lab. There were only two people left in the course, and I was half of them. Only one lab report was turned in per team, so it stood to reason that the names were pretty unimportant.
It was a fun lab, though, sometimes. Proved that water doesn't freeze at 0 F.  :laugh:

Geronimo45? So that's who you were! I thought I recognized you.  :lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »
Nick couldn't shoot a 1911, so he registered for THR.org.

Problem solved, BTW.  Limp wristing.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
Yoosta come home wet to the crotch after an afternoon of frogging.  Pi$$ed my dad off to no end.  I'd get beaten on occasion, but it didn't stop me.   As I grew, the draw to the swampy places became stronger.  Duck Hunting, Trout Fishing.  I share this love of swamps with my daughters.

I heard the term "Cold Soaker", I believe, from the comedy team of Bob and Doug MacKenzie - Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_Doug_McKenzie in reference to a wet foot from going through the ice during hockey practice.

And then, years later, when I became a victim of teh intrawebs, I needed a handle.  The waders were leaking, and I'd  recently gone a little over the tops of my wellies while trailering a boat.
It was for a fishing BBS, so it seemed natural, if not a bit cumbersome.

Two Cold Soakers =  Wet feet from fooling around in the water.
7-11 was a part time job.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
It's just an abbreviation of my name that some classmates in law school came up with and a number.  As I recall, the first number I tried to use was unavailable (as was probably the second, third, fourth, etc.), so I picked 360.  I don't remember the exact reason I picked it, but the reference was to 360 degrees.  I don't even remember what I first used it for.  It was a long time ago.  Since then, people like Anderson Cooper have copied me.
For entertainment purposes only.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
What's your story?

"Lee N. Field"

Capiche?  Not so difficult.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »
Like Brad Johnson, I put alot of thought into my name. First name Lenny and middle name Joe = Lennyjoe.

My family played a minor part in that name also.

Thats what most of my family called me when I was a kid since my dad has the same first name.  Instead of mixing us up in the conversation they would refer to me as Lennyjoe. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:13 PM »
Everyone was fistful something or other at one time in the distant past. I'd seen a film/picture of Telly Savalas, so I decided to do put the two together.
The old moniker is Geronimo45, which comes from owning a .45 and adopting the pseudonym Geronimo during a Physics lab. There were only two people left in the course, and I was half of them. Only one lab report was turned in per team, so it stood to reason that the names were pretty unimportant.
It was a fun lab, though, sometimes. Proved that water doesn't freeze at 0 F.  :laugh:

I was wondering who the hell you were before you changed your name to Fistful Savalas.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »
Mine is a reference to a Warren Zevon song that I thought was particularly amusing.  It's also unique enough that I can use it anywhere and expect it not to be taken already.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
I gave my grandkids some nicknames when they were old enough to kind of understand things like that.  The grandkids then started calling me grampster about the same time.  Now nearly everyone calls me grampster, so it only seemed proper for a screen name.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BMacklem

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 09:17:38 PM »
On here it's just my first initial and last name.
On most of the other interwebz boards and game forums I participate in, it's usually
Khazad Dhum, or a variant thereof...
It's in reference to the Lord of the Rings, and there's a chasm the group of characters has to cross... The bridge over Khazad Dhum....

I liked the name when I read it years and years before I even had heard of the internet, and needed a name for a D&D character, so I stole that because it sounded interesting, and I just used it for years on any board I went on . ugh....AOL it was, I had nearly forgotten my years using them for an ISP.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »

<--- The reason is pictured over there.

I do the high power rocketry thing, Level II certified and all that.  Hence, "RocketMan".
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »
I'm a bald guy. Been that way for a long time, even before kids started shaving their heads for the alternative look. After my first military haircut, it never grew back as well as I had hoped...

People looking for me in a crowd always know to look for the bald guy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »
What's your story?

I could tell you ... but then I'd have to kill you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13:08 AM »
"I was born a poor black child..."

(Bonus points for naming that movie!)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:08 AM »
"The Jerk", with Steve Martin.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 01:47:52 AM »
Well, sometime back in the 70's a dude and a chick...

Oh. Wait. Wrong story. :cool:

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 01:57:32 AM »
I study physics.  Go figure eh.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 01:31:08 PM »

I'm named Disk because I used to cart a lot of disks around.  I was hailed by "Yo, disk dude" on many occasions, which eventually shortened to "Disk".   The Rev part is short for Reverend.  Simple enough. 

I get called "Disk" more often than my first name. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
I'm a mathy type of person, sort of. (studying engineering).
Andy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
Shortend first name, middle intial and shortend last name and the year of my birth.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:58 AM »
I used ( many years ago ) frequent the "world political forum" on craigslist, where I got into many heated debates
& had gotten all my monikers banned...I can't remember now why I chose gunsmith because I can barely field strip a glock, but I'm glad I did.
I had to register many similar names at CL because ppl there would call me groinsmith etc instead of engaging in debate.

Jim March turned me onto thr so I just kept gunsmith, I like it because when I google my handle I never find myself.
I was paranoid for years, I had some serious enemies on craigslist-including craig newmark!
I stopped going to their forums years ago because its to much like yahoo, a million moron a millisecond posting over one another, no real discussions plus, they sent me some weird thing it looked like a pacman, it just ate up my screen.
After that I simply never went back there and pretty much inhabited thr...funny enough...I hardly am on thr anymore.
any gun question I have could be answered here
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 06:39:57 AM »
seeker_two is a phonetic play off of my first and last name....I've had it for almost ten years when I started on the old "Sixgunner" board and when I had an ad on Yahoo Personals.....

....I can actually say that I found my wife using Yahoo....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 07:03:05 AM »
Seeker, you were on Sixgunner?  Was that before or after it changed to a multiple forum board?  I was pretty active there when it was one forum, but lost interest when it was redesigned into a more modern forum.

Chris