Author Topic: whats going on with UK's news of the world?  (Read 2467 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
whats going on with UK's news of the world?
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:35:18 AM »
can someone explain? it looks like drudge is simply celebrating the downfall of rupurt murdoch ...

who was hacked? why is this story so important?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: whats going on with UK's news of the world?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:43:27 AM »
If I understand correctly, management, to the top level, condoned use of wiretaps (which must have been something to orchestrate) on targeted individuals.
Blog under construction

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:15:33 AM »
I thought they'd hacked some girl's cell phone when she'd been reported missing (and later turned up dead).

Anyway, that's the same tabloid that did the sting on Max Mosley (then president of the FIA) a few years ago catching paying for S&M sessions.
Formerly sumpnz

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:16:25 AM »
I thought they'd hacked some girl's cell phone when she'd been reported missing (and later turned up dead).

Anyway, that's the same tabloid that did the sting on Max Mosley (then president of the FIA) a few years ago catching paying for S&M sessions.
That was merely one case in the lot, they've been wiretapping celebs, soldiers, (royals?), family of soldiers, family of victims in the 7/7 bombings and others.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »
From what I heard, for multiple years they had be hacking into phones and bribing police to get their information.  Advertisers pulled out en mass and News Corp shut them down, since old Murdoch is wanting to by Sky News and doesn't want this scandal holding up the deal.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/07/09/general-broadcasting-amp-entertainment-eu-britain-phone-hacking_8556776.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:16:49 AM »
who was hacked? why is this story so important?
The phones of murder victims, deceased soldiers, and others.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
that is pretty creepy!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 12:47:47 PM »
Basically the NOTW got caught doing what all of the tabloid papers were doing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/aug/31/press-privacy-information-commmissioner
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/08/news-international-lifting-the-veil

Though I should also state that the staggering hypocrisy on show from Labour (who were in charge when all this went on, and who were deeply embedded in Rupert's puckered behind for far longer than Cameron ever was, and who actually employ (as their Director of Strategy) an ex-Murdoch journalist who did everything that the NOTW is accused of doing) is probably worthy of some sort of award in itself.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
Basically the NOTW got caught doing what all of the tabloid papers were doing:

Ah.

Espousing the post-Watergate legal theory often advanced on "gun" forums when discussing whether or not to carry into places where it is illegal to do so: "It's only illegal if I get caught."

Whenever I encounter expressions of such notions, I find myself wondering if the writer understands what "illegal" means, and if he really means what he wrote.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
I'm constantly amazed at how many people think that if it isn't illegal, it must be ethical.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.