Author Topic: What's your top choice weapon for urban defense?  (Read 9725 times)

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
What's your top choice weapon for urban defense?
« on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
Here's the scenario: you live in a society in decline. Law and order are slowly disintegrating. You need to defend yourself because the city you live in is starting to eat itself. Citizens are still allowed to own firearms but the law has been changed to limit gun ownership to one firearm per individual. What pistol or longarm do you pick and why? Assume you cannot flee the situation immediately and that you have a middle class existence; your disposable income is somewhat limited.

What's your top urban defense weapon?
It's collapsing all around you.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: What's your top choice weapon for urban defense?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:21:13 AM »

Brains
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »
Are we to assume that we are living in our current domiciles, and our situation is otherwise unchanged?

If it were legal for me to own a firearm, I would choose an AR-15 rifle of some description. My main concern would be the possibility of large-scale violence, i.e. riots, and home invasions. Because my work and study schedule mean I spend only 3 days a week outside the home, home defense is paramount. (If I get the scholarship I'm aiming at it'll be only 1 day a week).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:38:10 AM »
Brains

And after an adequate supply of those is had, a quality AK-74. While it's not anywhere in my collection currently, it's a combination of robust platform and cheeeaaaap ammo. Like the budget you described.

ETA: Ammo to go is selling 5.45x39mm for 15.3 cents a round (2160 rounds for $329.95) less shipping. Good luck finding that price on any other center fire rifle caliber.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:41:34 AM by kgbsquirrel »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 12:38:14 AM »
Why do you care what the law is under such circumstances?

(mine is a .357 lever-action carbine, but a .30 M1 Carbine is not a bad choice either, or even a .22LR autoloader.)
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Probably something along the lines of a Smith 642.

It's far more likely that I'll be attacked while out and about then at home, so I need something concealable.  It needs to be reliable, and preferably something that can be fired from a coat pocket.  Common ammo avaliability.  Simplicity.

In this situation, I'm not worried about a team of highly trained professionals (I don't have anything that valuable), I'm worried about random street thugs.

Plan A is to blend in unlessed pressed into action.

If things have gotten totally out of hand, an AK to assist my departure from the AO.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:48:08 AM by Nick1911 »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:10:21 AM »
I'll go with my M4-gery. It's compact enough for the house, and still has range for outdoors, as well as firepower. While one thug or two is most likely, I wouldn't rule out small mobs. They're already attacking in this time of relative peace. It would also be good for game, to a point.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:19:16 AM »
Brains

Zombie alert!

:lol:

That's a really hard choice, 40 cal.  I'm tempted to demand and whine petulantly that I simply must be allowed two guns.  After all, if the noob in MW3 can have a rifle and a pistol, then so can I.   [ar15]

But, when I am tired from arguing and the gun store guy refuses to sell me two guns no matter the modest bribe I try with him, I'll choose any double-stack 9x19 I can get my hands on with as many mags as I can get.  Ideally, a 17rd or greater system that has strong aftermarket support for quality mags... race-gun 140 or 170mm mags, Glock 33rd 9mm mags, MecGar AFC mags, +2 baseplates... whatever I could find.

Carry concealed with the smallest mag that fits the system, and have a couple of larger format mags in a man-purse, briefcase, laptop bag, or whatever.

Top choices, starting from scratch and owning no holsters or anything in preparation?

-Glock 17
-XDm 9
-XD 9
-STI 2011 9mm
-EAA Witness 9mm
-CZ SP-01
-Sig P226

10 mags, 200rds of defensive hollowpoints, 500rds of FMJ, IWB rig, OWB rig, mag carriers for up to 4 mags on belt if I choose to... but granular enough that I can only carry 1 or 2 if I choose to.  Gun belt.

I'd drop $1500 or so between gun store purchases and online orders (holsters, belt, most of the mags from online).

Basically, something I can conceal IWB if I choose, but with a duty/race rig (more secure than most race rigs, though) that any beat cop would appreciate in the middle of a narco-shootout.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »
Det cord
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »
Brains

As much as I'd like to categorize brains as a firearm they are not. You can't buy a brain at the gun shop.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:55:33 AM »
Are we to assume that we are living in our current domiciles, and our situation is otherwise unchanged?

Yes, good assumption.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 02:59:47 AM »
Why do you care what the law is under such circumstances?

(mine is a .357 lever-action carbine, but a .30 M1 Carbine is not a bad choice either, or even a .22LR autoloader.)

Me personally, I'm a scofflaw when I deem necessary. But I'm going to write this up for people who might care once I gather enough data. My attitude about the law is a whole other topic though.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:24 AM »
I'll go with my M4-gery. It's compact enough for the house, and still has range for outdoors, as well as firepower. While one thug or two is most likely, I wouldn't rule out small mobs. They're already attacking in this time of relative peace. It would also be good for game, to a point.

Is there a good web site where I can read about assembling/purchasing something similar?

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 03:50:53 AM »
Det cord

What good is det cord without some high explosive material?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:43:02 AM »
What good is det cord without some high explosive material?

'Scuse me, but isn't det cord a high explosive material in and of itself?

1) Wrap det cord around something you don't want to be where it presently is.
2) Cause detonator to go off, igniting det cord.
3) Something is no longer where you didn't want it to be.
4) Profit.

I think the problem with det cord you were looking for is that because it does not propel a projectile due to the explosive combustion of a chemical propellant it is not a firearm.

Now, if I may - why are you contemplating moving to Detroit/Baltimore/SE or SW Washington, DC/East or Central LA/Compton/Chicago/etc?  That is the reason underlying your question, isn't it?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »
Short barrel pump 12 gauge, 00 buck and slugs will cover most needs.
Of course ne'er do well that I am I simply can't imagine being bereft of more than one firearm.
 [ar15]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »
Is there a good web site where I can read about assembling/purchasing something similar?
ar15.com contains a wealth of good information. (It also includes some silly K-Mart Kommando and uber tactical Mall Ninja stuff, so read with a discerning eye.)

The best video I've come across for assembling an AR is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »
Short barrel pump 12 gauge, 00 buck and slugs will cover most needs.
Of course ne'er do well that I am I simply can't imagine being bereft of more than one firearm.
 [ar15]

+1.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
I would have to give serious thought to a 3-4" .357 revolver.  I rarely feel undergunned with one of these on me.  And for the scenario described by the OP, concealment would be important to me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
First after reading this I saw only home defense.  
I'd have to go with the trusty 1911.  Punch, power, accuracy, fast reloads.  
Of course, IMHO, any mid to full size service sidearm would be a good choice.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »
SBR AKM clone of some sort.

Maneuverable indoors, and 7.62x39 loses very little velocity from short barrels. With the folding stock it has some ability to be carried concealed in an armpit under a jacket.

With a small optic, sight radius isn't an issue for longer shots either. And sometimes accuracy is better than the longer barreled AK's as the barrel is more rigid for it's length.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
Top choice for Home D?  One of my social shotguns loaded with 00 Fed FC buck, 000 Rem Express buck, or foster slugs.  Of those, I would rank in the following order:

But if I were allowed concealed carry and only one weapon, 1911 GM rules the roost.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Here's the scenario: you live in a society in decline. Law and order are slowly disintegrating. You need to defend yourself because the city you live in is starting to eat itself. Citizens are still allowed to own firearms but the law has been changed to limit gun ownership to one firearm per individual. What pistol or longarm do you pick and why? Assume you cannot flee the situation immediately and that you have a middle class existence; your disposable income is somewhat limited.

"What one gun", frequently asked in Interwebz gunfora, is the modern equivalent of the medieval  "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" type question.  Not meant to be actually answered, meant to exercise thinking. 

Here are my thoughts.  A lot depends on details that aren't specified.

Society in decline, society that limits firearm ownership, points to an actual or developing opressive gov't.

Handguns and the cartridges they use, suck for most things.  The benefit they offer over larger and more capable arms are their portability, and their concealability.

I won't be owning an AR any time soon.  An AK would work handily, if anything at all would, in persuading a mob to move on.  Ditto a shotgun.  A society that limits firearm ownership to one, is unlikely to let me wander off the Walmart or the grocery store with a long gun.  If I can hole up in the house, that'd be the way to go.  If it's safe to go to Wally World or the grocery store without it, that'd be the way to go.

If you're down to handguns, pretty much anything I have now.  Except my PF9 -- I would not want that as my last gun.  It's all (on purpose) durable stuff, without great value, in standard chamberings.  Anything that was purchased without an FFL as intermediary (and thus is, as far as possible, unknown) gets stashed someplace private. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »

I'm not sure where you all got "home defense only" out of this?  How is a long arm going to help you when you need to go to the store, or to work?  Keeping in mind, if there is still enough structure that you can't get more then one gun, you're certainly not going to be able to openly carry a rifle at walmart.  :facepalm:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »
I'm not sure where you all got "home defense only" out of this?  How is a long arm going to help you when you need to go to the store, or to work?  Keeping in mind, if there is still enough structure that you can't get more then one gun, you're certainly not going to be able to openly carry a rifle at walmart.  :facepalm:

You can if you wear a duster.
"It's good, though..."