Author Topic: Whatcha think of the Swiss?Racist or not?  (Read 9695 times)

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
Re: Whatcha think of the Swiss?Racist or not?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 06:06:59 AM »
"Switzerland for the Swiss!"  Why not?  It's their country, let them run it as they see fit.  I have no great admiration for the Swiss in any case.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 06:48:36 AM »
It is not about race or ethnicity, it IS about culture and values (and the accomplishments those values led to).  The modern world, politically and technologically, is formed on Euro-American values and especially on Anglo-American values.  You can dislike modernism but you can't argue against the facts of what got us here.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:53 AM »
RileyMC,
Let's cut to the chase. 
1. In what ways are "white" folks superior to "non-white" folks?  Genetically?  Socially?  Spiritually?
2. What achievements do you credit whitey with?
3. If you give credit to melanin-deficient humans for their contributions to modern society, do you also hold them accountable for their various failings in modern society?  Or is that all the fault of the "mud people"?

onions!

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 08:40:45 AM »
Hey now!

I just thought that the policy of,after a pre-determined time,the immigrants' peers voting yea or nay on citizenship was pretty kool.

Paddy

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »
RileyMC,
Let's cut to the chase. 
1. In what ways are "white" folks superior to "non-white" folks?  Genetically?  Socially?  Spiritually?
3. If you give credit to melanin-deficient humans for their contributions to modern society, do you also hold them accountable for their various failings in modern society?  Or is that all the fault of the "mud people"?

Race is not the determining factor; culture is.  By 'culture', I mean a set of values, ideas, beliefs,attitudes and language common to a group of people populating any particular geographical area.  It is not 'racism' to judge some cultures superior to others.  I think you would agree that the western cultures of industrialized countries, although they are different from each other (language, religion, politics, etc.) are nonetheless superior to any third world tribal culture.

Why? Simply quality of life.  In third world countries (cultures) more people die from water borne disease than any other cause.  In industrialized western countries (cultures) water borne disease is almost never an issue, but if it does happen is treatable.

In many tribal societies, women and girls are considered property and/or valued no more than, say, cattle. Forced female genital mutilation is an accepted practice.  Some cultures prescribe 'honor killings' of their daughters for 'disgracing' the family by unapproved behavior.

And the list could go on and on.

As every individual has an inherent right to self defense, also each culture has a right to preserve and protect itself from destructive interference.  You can think of this as 'freedom of association' if you like. This is not racism; the fact that the other culture (from whom disassociation is desireable) is predominantily of a different race is incidental.

The true 'racists' are the race baiters; the guilt ridden liberals(and others) who consider 'minorities' inferior and thus entitled to special treatment.  They are the ones who constantly shout 'racism' where none exists in an effort to continue the myth that one race is inferior to another.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »
On cultural superiority . . .

Which way are people migrating - from some stinking pestilential turd world hellholes to the West, or the other way around?

Even if you consider advanced nations . . . are more people migrating from the Orient to the West, or are more Westerners moving to the Far East?

Are more people moving from North America to Europe, or to North America from Europe?

Consider migration patterns . . . superior cultures are attractive . . . inferior cultures are not.

(No races were named in this posting.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 11:46:03 AM »
Riley,

If your argument were about culture, why reference skin color?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »

Uh, I don't know...Renaissance, Scientific Revolution, The Enlightenment, Industrial Technology, you typing on your computer on the internet.

When you figure out where these things came from and how and why, the "debate" can continue.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »
Sometimes you do-witness the international movement against apartheid.  Sovereignty should not be a blanket defense for racism or similar fundamentally savage practices.
SS:

I am sure this was not your intent, but you have pretty much provided a "blanket defense" for colonialism by the civilized nations of all the not-so-civilized.

No, I haven't, but not based on the idea-going to other lands to improve their lots is okay in my book.  Unfortunately, despite the occasional rhetoric, that was never the aim of colonization.  Colonialism in practice is simply the same old savagery, carried out by more technologically advanced means. 

If you can find me an example of a colony that was not designed to rob people of their resources and force them to obey, please do. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »

Uh, I don't know...Renaissance, Scientific Revolution, The Enlightenment, Industrial Technology, you typing on your computer on the internet.

When you figure out where these things came from and how and why, the "debate" can continue.

How come no one counts "living in a country free from savage racism" as an achievement?

If it were not for the long struggle and sacrifice on the part of non-whites, we'd all probably still be living in countries that doled out privileges and rights on the basis of skin color; how backwards and utterly sinister is that? 

There's one contribution that's undeniable: because of the hard work of non-whites, we live in a more civilized world.

Or does combating racism, slavery, and all the things that came with racism not count as an achievement for civilization?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 01:24:16 PM »
shootinstudent, I suggest you read up on India's caste system...which exists to this day.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 01:25:13 PM »
shootinstudent, I suggest you read up on India's caste system...which exists to this day.

I know something of it-what's the connection you're drawing?

Paddy

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 01:26:16 PM »
Riley,

If your argument were about culture, why reference skin color?

I didn't interject race into this discussion; I just bounced it back to the guy who did.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »
I never understood their camo pattern
7-11 was a part time job.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »
Or does combating racism, slavery, and all the things that came with racism not count as an achievement for civilization?

It counts.  Too bad there's still so much racism and slavery in the "non-white" parts of the globe today.  Or is that the white man's fault too?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2007, 06:33:09 AM »
Silly Swiss. To be properly European these days, you have to allow your country to be overrun by groups that absolutely will not assimilate and would rather try to change their new home to be like their old home that they fled from.

Sounds like the stuff you read about Californians on THR.

Mostly offered by smug rubes who've never been here (thankfully).  Wait til the next Dem Pres & Congress come along, about 2009 by my reckoning.  We'll see how well the so-called 'free states' escape that anti gun onslaught.

Wow.  That wins the "Non-sequitur of the week award"

Anyway, by definition, any decision-making process that uses race as a factor is racist.  So I guess the Swiss system is racist, de facto if not de jure.
The next question is whether that is a bad thing or not.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2007, 06:39:55 AM »
Of course, racism is a bad thing.  Too bad the tribalists who comprise so many of the new wave of immigrants have no trouble with it.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

lacoochee

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 06:56:08 AM »
What the hell, have to jump in somewhere... 

What the Swiss are doing is not racist, if anything it's "culturalist", they want to preserve what they feel is paradise on earth.  I am sure that they would feel the same way about any group coming into their country, say for example the people of Vermont are invaded by Canadians looking for another source of maple syrup and they all flee to Switzerland, I am quite certain a few hundred thousand dispossessed Vermont-(ians?) would be just as unwelcome. 
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

beaucoup ammo

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 07:28:35 AM »
(1) Our youngest daughter has lived and worked in Zurich for three years. Been over once. Military service is mandatory for the Swlss..and you get to keep your weapon! http://www.swissrifles.com/sig550/index.html

Shooting is the National Pass Time and we've attended some great competitions!

You can never have too many guns or too much garlic.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »
Quote from: RileyMC
Quote from: The Viking
Sounds like the stuff you read about Californians on THR.

Mostly offered by smug rubes who've never been here (thankfully).
And mostly correct anyway.
D. R. ZINN

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2007, 05:22:31 AM »
What have all those folks done for us lately?
You make three interesting assumptions in that statement.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 06:42:39 AM »
Not to take either side, but I think those saying that Whitey invented all the good stuff are talking about cultural, not racial, superiority.  Those are two very different ideas.  We all agree that American culture or Mexican culture is better than, say, NAZI culture.   

Such an understanding would really change the debate.  For instance, would the contributions of Martin Luther King, Jr. be a contribution of white or non-white culture?  How much was he inspired by "white" influences like the Declaration of Independence or Bill of Rights, and how much by "Oriental" influences like Ghandi's ideas?  And would his Christianity be a "white" influence?  Or would it also be "Oriental"?  Maybe we shouldn't try to break down culture into racial groups.

Best comment so far:
The policy as written is not racist.  It may be arguable that some of the people who have the power to vote on the policy might be bigots, but this goes back to my tirade on you can't legislate people into being good.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iain

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2007, 06:52:33 AM »

Best comment so far:
The policy as written is not racist.  It may be arguable that some of the people who have the power to vote on the policy might be bigots, but this goes back to my tirade on you can't legislate people into being good.

Which underlines the idea about true democracy being a vote between two wolves and a sheep as to what is for dinner.

On Friday I was in a meeting with relatively recent immigrant to the UK. Had immigration been a decision of local peoples there are two historical and present good reasons why he might not have been accepted. He's black and he's a paraplegic. He paid some taxes here during his working life, and after his accident he chose to come here to live permanently.

For the Mail brigade he could easily have been a symbol of all that is wrong, but in reality he daily makes a huge contribution to local issues particularly on matters of disability.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Paddy

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007, 06:55:06 AM »
Anyway, by definition, any decision-making process that uses race as a factor is racist.  So I guess the Swiss system is racist, de facto if not de jure.

Not if race is incidental to culture, which seems to be what the Swiss are doing.  An example of state sponsored racism would be affirmative action, for example, where race is the only criteria.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007, 07:31:53 AM »

Not if race is incidental to culture, which seems to be what the Swiss are doing.  An example of state sponsored racism would be affirmative action, for example, where race is the only criteria.

That sounds like a difference without a distinction.  I couldn't tell you what would happen if a Black American or Canadian wanted to become a Swiss citizen.
And yes, affirmative action is racist.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.