Author Topic: Whatcha think of the Swiss?Racist or not?  (Read 9698 times)

AntiqueCollector

Re: Whatcha think of the Swiss?Racist or not?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2007, 11:05:39 AM »
Of course, racism is a bad thing.  Too bad the tribalists who comprise so many of the new wave of immigrants have no trouble with it.

Really? Always? The racism present in the U.S. against blacks was certainly bad. But would I say the discrimination against people from notoriously violent countries, generally muslim, is bad? Nope, I don't want these people in my country. They turn their own countries into crapholes, killing people over religion/etc., then come over here and make their little communities/neighborhoods the same sort of thing. The reason more muslims and africans and such are being rejected in Switzerland is because they're more likely to be troublemakers or uneducated and a burden on taxpayers who end up paying to support them. We need to be careful who we let in. I think the Swiss have a good system. By the time people are there long enough to apply for citizenship, they are known by the people enough so odds are better of a good decision being made by the people rather than by some bureaucrat.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 11:21:59 AM »
Of course, racism is a bad thing.  Too bad the tribalists who comprise so many of the new wave of immigrants have no trouble with it.

Really? Always? The racism present in the U.S. against blacks was certainly bad. But would I say the discrimination against people from notoriously violent countries, generally muslim, is bad? Nope, I don't want these people in my country. They turn their own countries into crapholes, killing people over religion/etc., then come over here and make their little communities/neighborhoods the same sort of thing. The reason more muslims and africans and such are being rejected in Switzerland is because they're more likely to be troublemakers or uneducated and a burden on taxpayers who end up paying to support them. We need to be careful who we let in. I think the Swiss have a good system. By the time people are there long enough to apply for citizenship, they are known by the people enough so odds are better of a good decision being made by the people rather than by some bureaucrat.

I have news for you:
Attributing characteristics to individuals based on stereotypes is called bigotry.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

AntiqueCollector

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2007, 11:41:53 AM »

I have news for you:
Attributing characteristics to individuals based on stereotypes is called bigotry.

Some steretypes are true, some are not. Not for every individual in that group of course but often for the majority. It's pretty easy to find evidence of the stereotypes about muslims, for example. And FWIW, I don't care if I'm accused of being a "bigot" because enough liberals have tried that on me when failing any debate it means nothing to me...

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2007, 11:56:43 AM »
Let me reiterate:

Attributing characteristics to an individual based on stereotypes is bigotry.

It does not surprise me that being a bigot doesn't  bother you.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

AntiqueCollector

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »
Let me reiterate:

Attributing characteristics to an individual based on stereotypes is bigotry.

It does not surprise me that being a bigot doesn't  bother you.

"Attributing characteristics to an individual based on stereotypes is bigotry" is the wrong way around. I've come to believe certain steretypes are true by being around enough individuals who prove them true. Stereotypes apply to groups not all individuals in that group. When groups of people as a whole exhibit certain behaviors it results in generalizations which some would refer to as "stereotypes." There are always exceptions to the generalizations but they are minorities within that group.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »
I have news for you: Attributing characteristics to individuals based on stereotypes is called bigotry.

Then I suggest you stop doing it to people like myself. 

When I said, "Of course, racism is a bad thing.  Too bad the tribalists who comprise so many of the new wave of immigrants have no trouble with it" I meant that a lot of the "newcomers" are far more racist than the average American "nativist."  America keeps getting slammed for racism--as if most of this planet isn't, wasn't, and won't continue to be racist.  Alas.  I take men as I find them, one by one.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2007, 05:41:39 PM »
Whatcha think of the Swiss?Racist or not?
Hardly.  Discriminatory?  Yes.  They simply want to control the direction of their society's culture.  The Swiss are very "buttoned-down" - quiet, efficient and mannerly. To lose those qualities would be the death of their culture...at least to them.  I like Switzerland, but it's almost too quiet and controlled for my taste.
I've been in libraries (and maybe a few funeral homes) that seem wild compared to the Zurich airport.  Berne is pretty cool though...a nice mix of people and culture.  The effects of immigration are apparent in the big cities there, just like anywhere....tons of graffitti, loud music, loud unruly youths, etc.  Apparently they don't like it and want to reverse it.  More power to them. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2007, 07:20:33 PM »
This thread is thoroughly amusing.

People on all sides of the argument essentially state "Racism/culturalism/tribalism is bad, but my sort of racism/culturalism/tribalism is good, because it is for a higher purpose." The purpose being multiculturalism, "equality", "social progress", etc., just as well as national sovereignty, self-determination, or cultural self-preservation.

If you believe in freedom of association (and dissociation), there is no way you can honestly argue in favor of using the power of government one way or the other. If there is a breach in symmetry, it is in that the monoculturalist wants to keep others out, while the multiculturalist wants to keep others in.

Personally, I'd rather be kept out of where I am not wanted than be forced to remain inside a place I do not want to be in. It seems the lesser of the two evils. And, there is a significantly smaller risk for me to be parasitized upon.