Author Topic: What's your guilty pleasure music?  (Read 3762 times)

What's your guilty pleasure music?
« on: July 05, 2005, 07:45:47 AM »
Not the music you like listening to all the time, I mean the stuff you have buried in folders on your computer, tucked under stacks of other vinyl, kept at the bottom of the cd stack, you get the picture. The stuff you don't let most people even know you are aware of. Stuff that you know ain't good but you listen to it anyway because you like it. Kinda.

Mine are Bon Jovi, Everlast, Peter Gabriel, and.. Creed.  undecided

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 08:06:07 AM »
Mine are Enya, Enigma, Sophie B. Hawkins, Loreena Mckennitt, Roxette, and Richard Marx, to name just a few.. Shocked

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 08:10:50 AM »
I own *two* Ace of Base albums.

I am so ashamed.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 08:16:28 AM »
KC And The Sunshine Band, Barry Manilow, Captain And Tenile.

Nah, I'm kidding.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 08:31:27 AM »
Celtic brass harp.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »
I suspect you're looking for someone who has a Vanilla Ice or Menudo CD that they still get down to in private.  I fail to satisfy such requirements.  I like pretty much all my stuff and I'm not ashamed to let people see my complete music collection.  I like everything from Atomic Bitchwax to Willie Nelson.  I've got lots of classical stuff, jazz, bluegrass, and yes, . . even Enya.

What was the worst CD I ever bought that I still have?  XTC-Skylarking.  This came out with some great reviews and Todd Rundgren produced it, so I figured I'd check it out.  It has one or two interesting songs, but for the most part I thought it was crap.  I kept it all this time so I can listen to it every couple of years and see if it still sounds like crap.  When it quits sounding like crap to me, I'll go see the doctor.

That Sluggy thing is pretty funny.  Right now, my MP3 player has on it the following:  AC/DC, Michael Bloomfield, Tool, Sheavy, Christopher Parkening, Kyuss, John Fahey, Van Halen (Fair Warning), Alabama Thunderpussy, Brain Police, Norman Blake, Raging Slab, and Bongzilla.
For entertainment purposes only.

...has left the building.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 01:31:26 PM »
-Britney Spears' In the Zone
-t.A.T.u.'s 200 km/h in the Wrong Lane
Anything by Dio

HForrest

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 04:06:07 PM »
I'm generally criticized by friends for listening to stuff like Steely Dan, being 15. I like it though, so that's not really under this category.

As for guilty pleasure, I kinda like that one Journey song... that's really popular, but I don't think it's good quality music.

Ok, so maybe I've listened to Earth Wind and Fire... only a couple of times, I swear!. Uhm, forget I said that.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 04:43:03 PM »
At least one off of every list so far, plus the main ones that come to mind:
P.O.D. and the 77's.

P.O.D.'s 'Satellite' CD is great weightlifting music.
The 77's do a cover of LedZep's "Nobody's Fault" that puts the original to dirty shame.  Wouldn't believe it myself, and it feels like blasphemy to say so, but it's true.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 07:28:42 PM »
I'm one of those people who can find something to like in practically every genre of music. I have some old Dr. Dre, Will Smith, some Euro Techno pop, blues, rock, etc. I've found songs in SKA, Celtic, jazz, classical, classic country, and some of the newer pop country.

Most of what I like was considered tops in its genre at one time or another, but some of the most notable I have hung onto were Sonny & Cher, Partridge Family, Spice Girls, and Manilow.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 03:53:34 AM »
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen.

"And I'm down to stems and seeds again, too"

Redneck Blues, gotta love it.

"Mypappysaidsonyou'regonnadrivemetodrinkinifyoudon'tstopdrivinthathotrodlincoln"

Cheesy

Justin

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 04:15:49 AM »
...Linkin Park...
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 05:17:26 AM »
Do Gregorian Chants count?

...has left the building.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 08:41:33 AM »
Linkin Park on the guilty pleasure list? Man I must be lame then Wink

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 01:35:38 PM »
The Original Rat Pack:

Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Peter Loren
Sammy Davis Jr.

--
Janis Joplin, Creme, Kris Kristofersen, Iron Butterfly, Gran Funk Railroad, Steppnwolf.

Martina McBride

Depends on what I want to be "guilty" of. Wink

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 07:10:39 PM »
Quote from: Combat-wombat
I'm generally criticized by friends for listening to stuff like Steely Dan, being 15. I like it though, so that's not really under this category.
[/i]
Get better friends.

Seriously, listen to what you like. Most of what your friends or MTV say you should be liking will be in the discount bin at Wal-Mart by the end of the year.

My son turns 15 this week. When we get into the car he doesn't ask me to change the channel (usually on classic rock station), he asks me who that is singing. He likes some of my music, and he keeps me up on what the new stuff is.

Chris

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 07:15:03 PM »
Guilty pleasure? Nope, nothing to see here, move along, these are not the droids you want.

Music that I like and nobody else likes? Yeah I have a lot of that; Laurie Anderson, Tones On Tails, Psychic TV, Throbbing Gristle, heavy industrial, anything like that. And not that kiddie punk softy stuff like NIN. I mean the real deal.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 06:32:02 AM »
*sigh* Let's see...

Since I'm pretty open about what I listen to, I'm not sure what would be classified as "guilty"...

Oh, wait.  I have the remake to "War" as done by Bone Thugs-in-Harmony, Henry Rollings, Flea, and others... :/

Hm... wow.  A lot of more obscure 80's stuff, like Del Rio's Song (BOC), a lot of Joe Satriani, Dream Theater (altho that's mainly 90s), Human League, Joy Division, etc. undecided

If Azrael256 sees this thread, I'm sure he'll throw in a few more for me... Cheesy
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 07:51:20 AM »
It is official - " I are old"

I have no idea who, what , whatever some of these people, groups, bands, or genres of music are.

Sigh...

I need some Allman Bros about now.  " Tied to the whipping post"  sounds appropriate .

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 08:09:04 AM »
I like various one hits from Ol' Dirty Bastard, Nullset and Meridith Brookes. And latino hiphop/dance. :/ Sad. I know.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 05:46:51 AM »
Depends on the mood I am in.

Violin concertos or 80's hair band rock, usually.

Last night, I listened to Strauss and Saxon.

"Ninety tons of thunder
Lighting up the sky
Steaming red hot pistons
See the wheels flash by
Hear the whistle blowing
Streaking down the track
If I ever had my way
I'd bring the princess back one day"

Saxon, "Princess of the Night"
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Iain

• friend