Author Topic: Thailand as an automotive manufacturing powerhouse  (Read 536 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Thailand as an automotive manufacturing powerhouse
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/10/new-chevrolet-colorado-makes-its-debut----in-thailand/1

In recent years, I have read how a lot of automotive and motorcycling manufacturing has set up shop in Thailand, especially motorcycles from the major manufacturers. 

I never really thought of Thailand as a center for industry, I wonder why Thailand, of all places?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Thailand as an automotive manufacturing powerhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
I wonder why Thailand, of all places?

Cheap labor and the location being at the juncture of a buttload of shipping lanes?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
"Boss, I am just going to make sure the factory is ok, I may be gone for some time"

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
sex positive lady boy delivery
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
sex positive lady boy delivery

Doesn't something like over 50% of the population have AIDS in Thailand?  I'm pulling that number out of the air but I recall it being very high.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
Thailand HIV & AIDS Statistics
Estimated total population, 2010    67,089,500
Estimated number of people living with HIV/AIDS, end 2009    530,000
Estimated number of women living with HIV/AIDS, end 2009    210,000
Estimated adult HIV prevalence, end 2009   1.3%
Estimated number of AIDS-related deaths in 2009   28,000

After peaking at around 143,000 cases in 1991, the number of new HIV infections in Thailand declined to an estimated 19,000 in 2003.1 This dramatic fall was mainly due to increased condom use by men and a reduction in their use of brothels. However, HIV prevalence among certain high risk groups, such as injecting drug users, is still high and overall prevalence in Thailand remains the highest in the region.2

Thailand was one of the first countries in Asia to offer both first- and second-line antiretroviral treatment regimens. Lower drug prices have contributed to a rapid increase in the number of HIV-positive people receiving antiretroviral treatment in Thailand from about 2,500 in November 2002 to 216,118 at the end of 2009.3
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"