Author Topic: Last minute laptop?  (Read 7786 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Last minute laptop?
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 11:06:27 PM »
Ok, tell me how bad I effed up...  =D

The Asus 4/500 gig I wanted was sold out so the next best deal I saw was a dell Inspiron M5030. 15.6", AMD Anthion dual core mobile processor p340, 3 GB ram / 320 GB HD with windows 7 x 64 bit. $430 at best buy. Walmart had nothing and what a friggin madhouse.  It was like all of gangland was there. :O

I went for none of the add on package deals.

Thumbs up or down?

Sounds OK.  Guy at work's got an Asus, it's holding up.  Specs on that are close to what my daughter got in a Dell, for about that price, before school this year.  Except that she let Best Buy sell her an antivirus she didn't need, and wasn't on the approved list for the school she's at.

Ditto, nix on the addon warranty extensions, etc.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 04:07:44 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
It sounds pretty good.  I've got an older model Inspiron that has held up pretty well over the years, so maybe yours will, too.
The Latitude series is the business class laptop from Dell.  Pretty robust, but probably more than you would have wanted to spend on a youngster's machine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Want to go on a service call in New Britain? It features climbing up on a roof and everything. Almost as good as an E ticket ride but not quite. It never fails. No calls, quiet as a church, until I plan something and then kaboom, they start coming in.  And of course where is my absolute FARTHEST customer? New Britain.  ;/
sounds like someone wanted you out of the house. [tinfoil]

and since i'm to late to be helpful, i'll leave out the laptop link. =(

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
sounds like someone wanted you out of the house. [tinfoil]
No that was today.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »
I told my customer, "I don't know what it is but every year I seem to find myself on a roof somewhere freezing my ass off while trying to decipher a Lennox wiring diagram so I can figure out what's wrong with the damn thing."  :lol:

I think the condition you're experiencing is called "Being an HVAC tech north of the Mason-Dixon."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »
Which would be the exact opposite of HVAC tech south of the Mason-Dixon. Crawling on your belly in a 160* attic, trying to braze in a friggin distributor and sweating your ass off instead.  Never mind the phosgene you're creating as you braze. :P

Either way, when you see that happy smiling HVAC tech on the TV about you too can be one. Yea, don't.  :lol:

Me? I didn't find it, it found me. I'm like the adopted child of the HVAC industry.  =|

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
FYI, 0801 EST Dec 25th. We are waiting for the kid to wake up (the kid is 20) so we can open stuff which includes the laptop.  [popcorn]

I'll say one thing for her, even when she was a real kid she always slept in on Christmas. Hell, me and my brother were up at 4 am.  :laugh:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »
Which would be the exact opposite of HVAC tech south of the Mason-Dixon. Crawling on your belly in a 160* attic, trying to braze in a friggin distributor and sweating your ass off instead.  Never mind the phosgene you're creating as you braze. :P

You've worked in Texas during the winter months, haven't you?....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
Heard last night that a good friend of mine in in the hospital, with "something" (don't want to get too far into rumor).

FYI, 0801 EST Dec 25th. We are waiting for the kid to wake up (the kid is 20) so we can open stuff which includes the laptop.  [popcorn]

I'll say one thing for her, even when she was a real kid she always slept in on Christmas. Hell, me and my brother were up at 4 am.  :laugh:

<snort>  Peeked in at some threads on Freerepublic, saw someone who'd (for her, very predictably) spewed bile.  At 5AM.  On Christmas Day.  Geez!  Let it lie for a bit.

Waiting now for Kid #5 (college girl with her days and nights screwed up) to wake up.  Most days it's about noon.  And waiting to see if Kid #4 will deign to bring the Blazer home, so we can get to Dad's.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Effect achieved. She says, "DUDE!! You got me a LAPTOP!?!?!111!"  :lol:

oh, for clarification, this was for the wifey not the kid. yes, my 54 YO corporate exec wife called me, "DUDE!!"   :cool:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »
You've worked in Texas during the winter months, haven't you?....  =D
Palm Beach, Fla...  [barf]

First (and last) time I ever saw a "beach house" with a five story elevator.  ;/

Oh, then there was the digging out the pipe under the other "beach house" down there. The place had a "Florida Room" with a mosaic tile floor that was heated underneath by steam. Probably built right around 1900. The pipes had rotted away. Fortunately it was all sand but it still sucked pretty good.  :P