Author Topic: Decent news site?  (Read 6703 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Decent news site?
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:54:31 PM »
Until today, I had my home page set for AT&T's web site. Not the corporate one, the one with news, etc. Well, as is always the way with the Internet, AT&T "improved" their web page. I HATE the new one. It's busy, cluttered, chock full of stuff that is of no use or interest to me -- and does not have a link to current U.S. news.

I tried CNN ... horrible. More horrible-er than I even remembered. They must have "improved" theirs since I last looked at it, too.

So what's out there that I can set so that I see a summary of current news stories when I fire up the browser, and not a lot of entertainment news, advertising, and other assorted dreck?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Decent news site?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »
I stopped using a news site as my home page because they ALL have the new clutter-fied look, sometimes taking a bit to load because of all the crap they pile on.  I have mine go to plain old Google, making my choice from there.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:23:50 PM »
Same as Brad. I like to read FoxNews, but I hate going to their site -- way too much animated crap going on, and I have to switch Firefox to an IE rendering engine to read stuff right. Their mobi news site is actually really nicely setup.

I have various news feeds, stocks, weather, etc. setup in My Yahoo, and I really like the simple setup and layout, but they don't have all the news sources I like. If they did, that would be my main page instead of Google.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »
I start at fark.com and work out from there.  But I don't rely on that for serious news, really.  I get all my gun and politics stuff from an RSS reader that crawls interesting blogs and hit up a local news site (mlive.com) for the rest.

http://news.google.com might give you what you want.  You can remove all the entertainment and sports crap from it, tell it where to put US news, how many articles you want to see, etc.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:41:49 PM »
tried fox? a link to an rss feed is interesting, it's what i use now. you click it and it opens like a folder of links/headlines that update every 15 min or so. bloomburg used to have a good page. /. if you want geek news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/
bookmark a google news search for "current"? or this
straight to the inflated head?(or should that be whitehouse.gov?[lol now that was a lowroad and very funny typo, pity no one got to see it.])
news from the front lines.
always good for a laugh, well sometimes you want to cry.

the company that inspired tomorrow never dies.(prolly not but it was funny.)
ka-BOOM!

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »
Drudge?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:53:41 AM »
http://www.freerepublic.com/tag/*/index

News from all over, and all over the political map.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »
I used to like FoxNews, but like Ben found, they have added massive clutter to their site that causes slow loading even with broadband.  To add insult to injury, they have more bad story links than in the past.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:15:27 PM by S. Williamson »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »
I used to like FoxNews, but like Ben found, they have added massive clutter to their site that causes slow loading even with broadband.  To add insult to injury, they have more bad story links than in the past.

Ditto. FoxNews.com is more and more just a trashy online tabloid.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 04:14:19 PM »
Drudge has all the feeds and is the least annoying aggregation web site out there.

As has been stated above, the MSM news sites are awful to look at.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 04:26:36 PM »
Drudge is my home page on the blackberry and on my home PC it's my own site but Drudge is where I usually start the nights reading.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
Drudge and World Net Daily. (But be aware, WND ought not be regarded as 100% accurate all the time . . . i.e., don't believe everything they write just because you happen to like their spin.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/

Very good at catching the new and interesting stories before big media gets it wrong.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »
If you want good headline type stuff without having to go through a cluttered page, why not work off an RSS feed?

I know in firefox you can create a live bookmark fairly simply.

Go to your favorite news site, find the link to the RSS feeds (normally at the bottom) or click on the little orange icon in the address bar, and add the bookmark (I prefer to the bookmark toolbar).

Quick and easy browsing of headlines from your preferred news source and you can then make the home page what ya like.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
If you like RSS, try using "Feedly". Create a magazine like start page, with whatever feeds you want.

Check out biggovernment.com for political news and muck raking.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 11:01:27 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »
www.insideautomotive.com

Really good and somewhat balanced....and not just about the auto industry....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

DonTron

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »
+1 for BBC:   http://news.bbc.co.uk/ 

Also the International Herald Tribune:

http://global.nytimes.com/?iht

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 09:36:06 PM »
Install a speed dialer, roll your own content and place on the speed dialer.  Then set you home page to the dialer.  Works for me.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »
MyYahoo is my homepage, I see breaking stories there when I log in.

For editorials I go to http://www.realclearpolitics.com/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
I ( used to ) like drudge- its refreshing a million times a minute got to be too much, I'm trying to find an alt too.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »
FoxNews remodeled their site today.  It loads faster, looks cleaner.  Let's see if it lasts.
(Except for the damn pop-up that covers the whole front page for the first minute, bragging about their newly remodeled site.  I expect that will go away soon.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »
(Except for the damn pop-up that covers the whole front page for the first minute, bragging about their newly remodeled site.  I expect that will go away soon.)

I saw that and hate those things with a passion. I hope it goes away, but I noticed over the last couple of weeks that those would randomly pop up when I went to the site. I hope that wasn't a test of something that's going to be a standard ad, or I'm never going to their website again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."