Author Topic: If you could move anywhere, where would you move??  (Read 5700 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: If you could move anywhere, where would you move??
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
all i'd like is a summer house in antartica.

Northern Minnesota (except Duluth) if you can stand cold weather for 7 months out of the year.

do they have really steep hills, so i could set up a ski slop in the back yard?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »
Vatican City.....but only if I could wear the big hat, dictate the gun laws, and get a Beretta Gallery opened in the basillica......  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »
Vatican City.....but only if I could wear the big hat, dictate the gun laws, and get a Beretta Gallery opened in the basillica...... 

Bad for the sex life though--you probably wouldn't get nun.

My choice is the high desert of Western Nevada.  It's a lot like the high desert of Eastern California, but without the California part.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »
I'm partial to New Hampshire.

I love it up here.

The White Mountains.......
One day at a time.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 07:20:46 AM »
Kerrville, Texas.

One day soon....we own the property but *sigh*, must work longer.

Anygunanywhere

gregormeister

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »
The Georgia pines or the smokey mounts

mike

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
Try Heaven. It's also called Kentucky! grin

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 09:02:19 AM »
Utah. If you're not Mormon, stay out of SLC.
Whats wrong with Mormons? Every one I have ever met was a decent, law abiding hardworking kind of guy.

That's been my experience so far as well.

Chris

Yes, that's correct, but my sister lived in SLC for a while, in Sugar House. She can tell you, if you're not Mormon, there is most certainly tacit discrimination in business there. First question, what ward you were in? Tongue

That's the only place it occurs.
whats wrong with "tacit discrimination"? They are merely preferring to do business with people they know are likely to be ethical in their business dealings. Not a whole lot different than doing a credit check first.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 09:47:08 AM »
Utah. If you're not Mormon, stay out of SLC.
Whats wrong with Mormons? Every one I have ever met was a decent, law abiding hardworking kind of guy.

That's been my experience so far as well.

Chris

Yes, that's correct, but my sister lived in SLC for a while, in Sugar House. She can tell you, if you're not Mormon, there is most certainly tacit discrimination in business there. First question, what ward you were in? Tongue

That's the only place it occurs.
whats wrong with "tacit discrimination"? They are merely preferring to do business with people they know are likely to be ethical in their business dealings. Not a whole lot different than doing a credit check first.

Such behavior is very much on a per-person level. I know people here that assume everyone they meet is Mormon, but I think the majority don't do so. Even though I'm actively Mormon, it's been pretty rare that someone has assumed that (asking such a "what ward you go to?" question) without observing behavior or conversation that would lead them to believe so.

I think tacit discrimination is pretty common among most groups, even if it's not conscious. I have no doubt the business discrimination you describe would be working the same, but in reverse, in a heavily Baptist town in the South if a Mormon moved in. Personally though, I'm not much more likely, if at all, to trust a fellow Mormon stranger than a non-Mormon stranger. People are people. Despite what they may believe is right or their faith of origin, some people are dishonest. Someone that's honest is honest, regardless of their religious faith, or lack thereof. Certainly there are those people (more likely in small, rural Mormon-dominated towns) that automatically distrust those not of our faith. I think those people are silly. I distrust everyone equally.  grin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
no i do not have to have income but don't want to spend over 900-950 max on rent.

Come to Lubbock. I can get you a clean 1300 sq ft 3/2/2 house for that.  One of my landlords (my best ones, in fact) even has a vacancy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »

Northern Minnesota (except Duluth) if you can stand cold weather for 7 months out of the year.

Steep, yes. Long, no. The highest point above sea level in Minnesota (it's way up north, even!) is around 2500 feet. Lake Superior is about 600 feet, so the terrain up there is pretty rugged in places.

Do a google search for Lutsen Ski Resort.
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »
no i do not have to have income but don't want to spend over 900-950 max on rent.

Come to Lubbock. I can get you a clean 1300 sq ft 3/2/2 house for that.  One of my landlords (my best ones, in fact) even has a vacancy.

Brad

That would be $3K here.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »
Here (San Diego) as well.  I really wish I could afford to stay here.  Gun laws aside, I love the city, and I love the ocean.  But the girlfriend and are planning to move back to Colorado Springs, where she's from.  We can afford to own out there, and we certainly can't do that in San Diego.  Luckily I really like Colorado Springs.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
Vatican City.....but only if I could wear the big hat, dictate the gun laws, and get a Beretta Gallery opened in the basillica...... 

Bad for the sex life though--you probably wouldn't get nun.

Didn't slow the Borgias up any......and we can always amend that little thing.....  angel
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »

Brad

That would be $3K here.

Yikes!  shocked

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Wang

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

Anywhere it was only 75 during the day and 55 at night. That would be paradise. I hate hot humid weather. smiley

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »

Steep, yes. Long, no. The highest point above sea level in Minnesota (it's way up north, even!) is around 2500 feet. Lake Superior is about 600 feet, so the terrain up there is pretty rugged in places.

Do a google search for Lutsen Ski Resort.

steep is good.  grin  very good.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds