Author Topic: PSA AR15 for $328.  (Read 1164 times)

Pb

• friend
PSA AR15 for $328.
« on: July 07, 2023, 08:39:02 PM »
Complete Glock clone lowers for $50.  I'm not sure how they are doing this.

I remember when AK-47s were cheap and AR15s were expensive.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/daily-deals-new.html?avad=234121_d31bda039&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

sumpnz

• friend
Re: PSA AR15 for $328.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 02:46:46 AM »
I weep for my state.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 08:05:45 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 08:27:56 AM »
???

Yeah, me too.
Maybe that was posted in the wrong thread?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 08:30:40 AM »
WA has an "assault weapons" ban.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 08:31:21 AM »

That link doesn't work for me, btw.  Good thing too, I don't need any more guns

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 08:31:56 AM »
Ah! He's in Washington.
That sucks
Beautiful state, sucky laws
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 08:39:58 AM »
That link doesn't work for me, btw.  Good thing too, I don't need any more guns

Works for me now.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 08:58:24 AM »
Is a PSA AR a serviceable rifle? Are they know to be reliable?
Because a 350 dollar AR is pretty attractive.
A 350 dollar AR that requires a few simple mods is an unreliable rife.

Any experiences?
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 09:01:13 AM »

Any experiences?

PSAs are usually considered decent rifles.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 09:07:34 AM »
I got the, I forget if it was called the freedom rifle or classic rifle kit, built it around a $50 Anderson lower, and it has just worked.

It was actually my first build. The parts aren't top quality, but the parts are, in general, good quality, and work. Now that I've built more rifles, there are a few parts I would change out having found personal favorites in things like triggers and selectors, but for a basic AR, PSA has great deals and the parts are decent quality. JMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 10:40:09 AM »
I weep for my state.

You don't weep alone.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 11:14:31 AM »
psa is breddygud
Thanks guys!  Don't know exactly what I will do with that info, but thanks!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 12:04:09 PM »
Thanks guys!  Don't know exactly what I will do with that info, but thanks!

I reckon everybody needs at least one PSA AR. If nothing else, as a beater or loaner for friends learning to shoot or the zombie apocalypse. Plus the whole "mail order rifle kit for cheap" sticks it to the man and to David Hogg.  =D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2023, 12:08:14 PM »
I reckon everybody needs at least one PSA AR. If nothing else, as a beater or loaner for friends learning to shoot or the zombie apocalypse. Plus the whole "mail order rifle kit for cheap" sticks it to the man and to David Hogg.  =D

And if you have trouble assembling it shoot Hogg a message. He's the expert on everything
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2023, 01:05:48 PM »
As far as anyone knows I've never built and troubleshot ARs.
But a store bought one or three looks attractive.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2023, 01:47:56 PM »

Any experiences?

The cheap PSA's are a solid entry level AR.  It won't be amazing, but it'll be reliable, if a over-gassed, and it'll shoot ball ammo to about 4 ish MOA.  The barrel's nitrided on the freedom series not chrome lined, and not the FN Cold Hammer Forged barrels of their more expensive stuff.

PSA uses a Carpenter 158 bolt and a full inspected M16 bolt carrier on even their cheap builds, so that's good. 

The trigger group will be mil spec ish, and probably a little crunchy, but perfectly serviceable.  Plastic mil-spec iish furniture.

From what I've seen, The springs wear out a faster than the really nice brands, and since the tolerances are a little looser the whole gun will wear out a little faster.  I have a freedom series upper I built from a kit, and while I don't shoot it as much as my main guns, I can see it wearing a little faster.  In real world terms, just going by my estimates of wear, I'd expect one of the $350 Freedom series guns to need you to look at the extractor spring and extractor buffer, the buffer spring, and maybe the ejector spring and bolt gas rings somewhere around 5000-7000 rds.  They run them over gassed for reliability with all kinds of cheap ammo, so it's a little harder on the bolt parts. I'd also want to keep an eye on the bolt carrier key for the same overgassing reason

But it'll be a serviceable, if plain jane, gun up to then, and those parts are pretty trivial to replace if they do go bad.

If it's all you can afford for HD, or you want a spare gun, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one.  If you think you are going to get in to serious shooting (several thousand rounds a year, matches, carbine courses, stuff like that) I would say you'd be better served getting a nicer gun.  Both because the gun will last longer and be more pleasant to shoot, and because you'll end up swapping a lot of parts off that freedom series M4 to bring it up to modern fighting rifle snuff, so you won't save that much in the end.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 02:00:32 PM by dogmush »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2023, 01:55:40 PM »
WA has an "assault weapons" ban.

Ah. There's the missing bit of information we needed to understand the context.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2023, 09:16:37 PM »
I weep for my state.

Imagine what it is like in IL-ANNOY with "Jabba" as governor.  :facepalm:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2023, 09:57:41 PM »
PSA has the $90 nickel boron BCG as well.  They and others have lots of AR parts pretty cheap the last few months.  I have even seen sales on Daniel Defense and Geissele rifles this week.  I guess the AR market is at a low point.  Now is the time to get what you want if you haven't already. 

I got one of these a few weeks ago.  It was $550 and is now the cheapest AR I own.  Shot pretty well for the few rounds I shot. 
https://www.classicfirearms.com/anderson-mfg-a4-rifle-length-gas-system-ar-15-dissipator-semi-auto-5-56-nato-16-bbl-a2-front-sight-flip-up-rear-6-position-30-rd-b2-k850-a016/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2023, 11:32:57 PM »
Damn. I have zero need to finish my second Glock mag carbine. But they have cheap 9mm uppers.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2023, 12:30:38 PM »
Man, now I'm thinking about a PSA rifle kit buy for the Anderson lower I have laying around. Especially because as mentioned, ARs are cheap again right now. I, like many, was kicking myself about not buying more bulk ammo when ammo was in a dirt cheap "cycle" just before the covids. I can certainly see ARs getting expensive again soon, with the politics and such.

Though all my high end AR-ish rifles right now are PWS piston guns. I've also been thinking about either building or buying a mid-high end DI AR - maybe just grabbing an off the rack BCM and calling it good, or building another lower and putting a BCM upper on it.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2023, 02:34:21 PM »
^^^

Just be aware that large frame ARs don't have a Spec"  and PSA .308 stuff is only guaranteed to work with PSA .308 stuff. You won't be able to play AR legos quite as freely with that gun.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2023, 03:47:51 PM »
^^^

Just be aware that large frame ARs don't have a Spec"  and PSA .308 stuff is only guaranteed to work with PSA .308 stuff. You won't be able to play AR legos quite as freely with that gun.
Sure, which is why you would get both the upper and lower from PSA.  The same can be said for an AR-10 platform from another company.  If you want to play with upgrades, that is another question.  This just lets someone get into a semi-auto 308 on the cheap. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge