Author Topic: PSA AR15 for $328.  (Read 1162 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: PSA AR15 for $328.
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2023, 04:03:46 PM »
From the cut of the upper it appears they're following more or less the LR-308 (DPMS) pattern and not the AR-10 (Armalite) pattern.
Note they're calling it a PA10

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2023, 04:06:06 PM »
From the links

The Gen3 PA10 upper receivers are functionally and aesthetically compatible with Gen2 and Gen3 PA-10 Lower receivers. However, there are external cosmetic differences when mixing Gen1 with Gen2 and Gen3 upper and lower receivers that some may not find appealing.

The AR10 platform does not enjoy a common design between manufacturers, like the AR15. As a result, there can and will be subtle differences in the parts kits of various manufacturers. Some parts, like the fire control group, are shared with the AR15 platform to preserve the options for upgrading. For best results, we recommend only using PSA PA10 parts with our uppers and lower receivers. We do not recommend using other manufacturers' parts in our products.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2023, 04:14:37 PM »
I've got a couple of the older smooth side (no FA) Armalite AR-10Bs that use modified M-14 mags.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 06:57:16 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2023, 08:42:24 PM »
Mrgunsngear has a short review update (positive) on the currently on sale for $329 Freedom Rifle:

https://youtu.be/2HwXqLD_cgU
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2023, 06:35:45 AM »
Sure, which is why you would get both the upper and lower from PSA.  The same can be said for an AR-10 platform from another company.  If you want to play with upgrades, that is another question.  This just lets someone get into a semi-auto 308 on the cheap.

Agreed, I was just adding info.  Lots of folks think parts commonality is as universal  on large frame ARs as it is on small frames.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2023, 11:32:09 AM »
Agreed, I was just adding info.  Lots of folks think parts commonality is as universal  on large frame ARs as it is on small frames.
ok.  I used to own a PSA PA-10 rifle.  I think it was gen 2, but I don't remember.  It shot decent enough.  I learned that about AR-10's then.  I bought their rifle build kit and then realized there was no guarantee any other lower would work with it.  So I just ordered their lower receiver.  That rifle got sold during the COVID times. 

If someone is not interested in the cheaper route, I recommend the Ruger SFAR rifle in 308.  I have seen prices at $999 lately.  It is a light weight rifle (for 308) and shoots pretty good.  No issues so far, but I haven't put a great number of rounds through it.  Most of the reviews I have seen like it, but are nervous about the long term reliability since Ruger shrunk things down and changes materials to compensate.  I doubt I will ever put enough rounds through mine to matter.  PSA's new Sabre line and the Zastava 308 AK are just a little more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2023, 11:35:16 AM »
An AR build question for those here who have assembled AR lowers:  Have you ever staked the castle nut when putting on the buffer tube? 

I never have for the lowers I have built, but I don't recall any ever coming loose provided I used the wrench to tighten it more than hand tight.  None of my rifles have seen hard use, but it is probably something I can easily do if needed.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2023, 12:02:47 PM »
An AR build question for those here who have assembled AR lowers:  Have you ever staked the castle nut when putting on the buffer tube? 

I never have for the lowers I have built, but I don't recall any ever coming loose provided I used the wrench to tighten it more than hand tight.  None of my rifles have seen hard use, but it is probably something I can easily do if needed.

Yes I do now.  I have had several work loose over the years. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »
Has anyone here ever steaked one? If so, what cut did you use?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2023, 03:40:08 PM »

I might be tempted to stake one.  Doubt I would ever steak one as it seems like a waste of good beef.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2023, 04:11:53 PM »

Steaking it is no good because of direction of the grain in the metal.  You have to fillet it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2023, 04:14:25 PM »
Remember to T-Steak your nuts
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2023, 04:21:15 PM »
Do you need any special tools when steaking, like a flat iron?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2023, 04:31:14 PM »
Do you need any special tools when steaking, like a flat iron?
I would also be curious if there is a special tool for staking. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2023, 04:46:05 PM »
I would also be curious if there is a special tool for staking.

For staking I use a good sized centerpunch, for steaking you'll need a bandsaw.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
At the other end of the PSA product line:  https://twitter.com/palmettoarmory/status/1679183956468457472?s=20

If you don't have a Mk12 clone, are you really even living?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »
What can you tell me about the above rifle?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2023, 10:23:12 AM »
I don't think I have seen any reviews yet.  Right now, I am not sure if that is the best buy or not unless it proves to be excellent.  Daniel Defense and Geissele rifles have been see around $1600 range in some cases and you could put together a BCM upper and lower with some of Primary Arms recent sales.  With the current market, there are good alternatives that are pretty close.  That may change.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2023, 10:31:06 AM »
What can you tell me about the above rifle?

Not much more that that Tweet.  PSA just teased their new Sabre Mk12 Mod H (looks like).

I can tell you their "Sabre" line is their shot at a more duty grade AR.  Nicer tolerances and finishes, better parts, usually around a grand for a build on forged recivers (which that picture looks like).  They get good reviews against like BCM or FN factory guns.

On the Mk12 front, very briefly the Mk12 Special Purpose Reciever (later Rifle) was a USSOCOM program starting early in the GWOT to let M4's have a little more reach.  The Mod 0 and Mod 1 versions had a specially profiled 18" barrel mated to a flat top M16A4 upper and usually about a 10x variable scope (usually Leupold or NightForce).  Once it became a whole rifle and not just an upper they got KAC two stage triggers.  The later Mod H variant had a 16" barrel (which is what PSA's looks like).  All variants came with an OPS inc supressor, bipod, and one of the versions of the PRI Carbon Fiber Freefloat handguard.  THe handguard is what makes a Mk12 so recognizable.

Combined with MK262 77gr ammo a Mk12 can get solid, effective hits on a torso out to 800ish yards, which really helped out units that were mostly carrying M4s in Afghanistan. Marcus Lutrell pretty famously had a Mk12 during Operation Red Wings.

I pretty regularly take my Mk12 mod 0 (ish) to 1000yds, but it's trans sonic by then and I'm not sure how effective it would be.  At 800 it still hits the steel pretty hard.