Author Topic: "Big Boy" Rescues a diesel freight  (Read 461 times)

JTHunter

• friends
"Big Boy" Rescues a diesel freight
« on: July 10, 2023, 10:31:49 PM »
The Union Pacific 4014 "Big Boy" pushes a stalled freight train up a hill.

https://autos.yahoo.com/watch-retired-big-boy-steam-131054335.html
  =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icgH_3dXdOU

(Can't get the video to "embed".)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: "Big Boy" Rescues a diesel freight
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 12:23:14 AM »
I need to do something with my photos, chasing that train across Kansas in 2021 was a life highlight. Awe inspiring machinery, especially getting to stand 3 feet away as it clipped by at close to 60.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 12:33:42 AM »
I love watching the rods and linkages and wheels all in coordinated motion.  Sort of like watching precision marching drills.

But wow, watching the two sets of cylinders in motion was fantastic.  And seeing the front "engine" wheel slipping but not the rear "engine's" wheels still gripping was interesting.  (9:22 ff.)

Thanks!

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 01:01:49 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 09:26:36 AM »
Good to see that not only are there people who keep these running, but there are people who still know how to run them.

When I was very young (circa 1960, give or take a year or two) my father and I used to take a walk to the GTW railroad tracks half a block away from our home in the early evening to watch the passage of a passenger train hauled by a BIG steam locomotive - it must have been one of the last in service. I don't think this was a nostalgic excursion train - whatever it was, I remember my Dad called it "The Canadian Express."

I was too young to remember any details of the steam locomotive, but I do remember my bitter disappointment one day when the train came by . . . hauled by a new diesel locomotive.

The train continued to run for quite a long time afterwards, but I didn't care any more.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »
My mother and I actually rode a steam train from Grand Central Station to a town in upstate New York (and back) and except for the smell of smoke from the engine and dining in the dining car, it didn't impress me... because, after all, that was a train, and that's what trains were.  The date escapes me but it must have been when I was 8 yo or so.

I also vaguely recall a train trip to St. Petersburg in Florida and my memory tells me it was also a steam train, but this must have been ~'57 or ~'58 or so. I think by then diesels were predominant, so who knows?  That was a brain-bollixed time for me since my father had passed away and my mother had re-married and... 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.