Author Topic: How much do I need here?  (Read 2632 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
How much do I need here?
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
Calling to get our intarwebz hooked up at the new house. We're finally done with Comcast (/spit) and moving on to Fios! Here are the available plans, what I'm wondering is... If I get the higher connection speeds, will I see a marked increase in performance? Or will the lowest plan work, and the higher levels are generally only for people who are doing more advanced things or dl'ing a lot of movies etc?

$79.99 plus tax gets us TV with 220 channels and FiOS internet with 15Mbps/5Mbps$94.99 plus tax gets us TV with 320 channels and FiOS internet with 25Mbps/25Mbps$109.00 plus tax gets us TV with 385 channels and FiOS internet with 35Mbps/35Mbps
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: How much do I need here?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:44:10 PM »
What do you do on the Internet?  Browsing?  Torrent downloads  :police:, streaming movies, or what? 

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Your upstream speed matters not at all unless you're either running servers, doing a lot of P2P filesharing, or something like that.  For most typical home-user network activities, including gaming, uplink bandwidth is less important than uplink latency, and with FiOS your latency will be minimal.

15Mbps is more than plenty for streaming HD video, so unless you plan on having a lot of people in your place at once, streaming a lot of videos at once, you won't notice much of a difference between the low-end and the high-end for things like watching videos online.

The only place where the higher downlink rates will come into play is (as you say) downloading lots of movies and so forth.  But the slow link in that chain is your ability to watch them; if it takes you 5 minutes to download a movie, it'll still take you 2+ hours to watch it, and during that time, another 20 movies could download.  So unless you're doing some really heavy-duty stuff, I doubt you'll ever notice a difference between 15 and 35.

That said, the channel bundles are different, too, so if there's a channel you Must Have in the higher package, then you're sorta stuck.

We recently got FiOS for TV/phone (not network1) in the BrokenHome, and we went with the middle channel package, because there were some channels we wanted that the lowest bundle didn't offer.  I looked at the super-uber-channels package, and I just couldn't see myself plunking down a monthly premium to have 47 extra channels worth of golf and fishing to choose from.  YMMV.

-BP

1 Want to break a Verizon salesdroid's mind?  Tell him you want FiOS residential phone/tv service and static-IP network service at the same location.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »
41: sorry, I should've specified. This is light consumer use, with streaming movies being the highest requirement we'll make of it most likely.

BP: perfect, exactly what I was curious about. Is static IP more per month I wonder? I'm wanting to set up my desktop as a server, and it'd be nice to be able to ssh into it without worrying about the IP changing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
BP: perfect, exactly what I was curious about. Is static IP more per month I wonder? I'm wanting to set up my desktop as a server, and it'd be nice to be able to ssh into it without worrying about the IP changing.

Static IP simply cannot be had under a residential FiOS contract.  It is available under a FiOS-for-business bundle, and I may eventually go with that.  The real trick there is that you can't bundle business and residential services together on one contract, so if I want fixed-IP service, I can't get the "triple play" Phone/TV/Intertubes discount.  Which I'm not getting now, in any case, so that's a wash.

The key difference between business and residential packages for network is the TOS; you're not supposed to run a server on residential service, and they actively block inbound port 25 and port 80 traffic on residential connections.

For what you want to do, you can probably get away with residential dynamic-IP service, and a service like DynDNS to manage your potentially-changing IP.  I doubt they block inbound port 22.  There may be router issues, too, but according to the FiOS tech who did my install, the equipment on site for residential and business phone, TV, and internet is all identical, and they just configure the kit remotely based upon what you've paid for.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:37:40 AM »
some decent upstream speed would be nice when your getting a winkflash(etc) order together. =)