Author Topic: Goodies with rifle scope???  (Read 2029 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Goodies with rifle scope???
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:35:22 PM »
I'm intending to buy a couple of rifle scopes.  I've got a cheap Bushnell 3-9x40 on my deer rifle, and nicer (though still not exactly high dollar) Burris FFII 3-9x40 on my elk rifle.  I quite like the Burris and am intending to standardize on that scope.

I just bought a CZ-452 Varmint, and need a scope for it.  I was going to just buy 2 FFII's and put one on the deer rifle, and one on the 452.  But the 452, being a rimfire, seems like it might be handicapped by having a scope with 100-150 yard paralax settings on it, vs the 50-75yard paralax setting on "rimfire" scopes.  And I'm not sure that I want to pony up for an AO scope.

On SWFA they have a number of package deals on the FFII's going on right now.  One option is to get a FFII with a "free" 3-9x40 rimfire scope.  Other options includes a "free" bi-pod, or $50 mail in rebate.  They have some binocular and spotting scope packages too, but I'm not considering them.

One thought I had was to get 2 scopes with the bi-pods.  But then I was thinking that those might be such cheap bipods that it wouldn't be worth it.  They kinda look like Harris bi-pods, but I can't tell.  I'd like to get at least one bi-pod though, but only if it's good enough quality to be worth the expense.  Same type of concern with rimfire scope.  If the bi-pod and/or rimfire scope are good quality I'd be happy with them.  But I remember the 20x spotting scope that came with the scope on my elk rifle.  It was a piece of junk.

So, what would you all recommend?  One FFII with the rimfire scope (and spend the $210 saved on a Harris bi-pod, ammo, slings, range fees, etc), two FFII's with bi-pods, two with the $50 rebate and get a Harris bi-pod and a good sling with the rebate money, or one each with bi-pod and rebate?  Or one FFII with the bi-pod or rebate and then buy some other brand rimfire scope (in this case some recommendations for a rimfire scope in the $200 range would be appreciated)?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Goodies with rifle scope???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
Uh... I have a Swift 4-12 on Ebay right now.

Darn fine scope. No lens caps, but you can find something that'll work.

Swift is one of those brands that nobody's heard of, because they don't sell it at Wally World...
Blog under construction

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
4-12 is more power than I really want.  9x is about the top end of what's really useful for my purposes.

That said, how much are you wanting to get from that scope?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »
Get the shoulder thing that goes up. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:51:45 PM »
Get the shoulder thing that goes up. 

And the incidinary heat seeking bullets.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
Study up on parallax.  It is only an issue if you have not centered your eye on the optical axis of the scope.  Stock fit, mount ring height, and shooting technique are the three big factors.  Even at its worst, parallax is only a worry for high precision shooting at long ranges.  Leupold's owners' manual says their 4x used at its greatest parallax error only shifts point of aim by 0.8 inches at 500 yards.  For a .22LR plinker/varminter, I would not worry about it.

That having been said, I will pick up a Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire Special on my way to work tomorrow morning that set me back $210.86 out the door at Bi-Mart.  I have had an older version of the same scope on my Ruger 77/22 for ten years and cannot fault it.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
Are you stuck on those brands?  I've had good luck with Nikon so far.  They have models from cheap to reasonable expensive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:14:09 AM »
I'm not stuck on Burris necessarially, but I would like to have that as a consistent factor between deer, elk, and training rifles.  One less variable. 

sanglant

• friend