Author Topic: Why is it...  (Read 6864 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Why is it...
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:01:53 AM »
...that a person with a black parent and a white parent is considered black?

Is it just the legacy of a culture of racism.

Is it racist to say that a child of a white and black parent is black? Aren't they just as white? Why aren't they considered to be white?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Why is it...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:06:12 AM »
Its the legacy of a culture that thinks we have to "make up" for the legacy of raciism.
If they were born in the US, they're not black.  They're not white.  They're American.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:00:11 AM »
Racial preference for those of mixed descent is determined by attitude, socio-economic advantage, political points, or whatever sells more ink/airtime.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:03:04 AM »
Legally, in most states, the mother's ethnicity determins the child's ethnicity.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:06:04 AM »
From back in the old days, (not condoning it, though) I'd say it has something to do with the offspring being a person "Of Color".  Although after spending a month or two in Kwajalein at a time, I had a pretty serious pigmentation thing going, myself. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:07:48 AM »
The affirmative action bennies are better?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:02:05 AM »
The affirmative action bennies are better?
Ding ding!  Winner!

BridgeWalker

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:03:45 AM »
Considered black/white by whom?  For most things there's a mixed race/multi-racial box to check.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »
Considered black/white by whom?  For most things there's a mixed race/multi-racial box to check.

Uhhhhh...
The mainstream media?
Most Americans?

I spent a great deal of time in South America in the late 70's. They've got a word for every kind of mix possible. So if you're half white - half black then you're a mulato. Indian/Black something else. Indian/White is another. Asian/Black another and so on and so on. You're not black just because you've got some in ya like here in Uhhhmuricah.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »
...that a person with a black parent and a white parent is considered black?
What 'they're considered' depends entirely on where they are in relation to those around them.

In a local culture where everyone is black, the half-black/half-white individual will be reacted to in one way.
In a national culture where whites remain predominant, the half-black/white individual will most likely identify with and be identified as the minority group.

This is also applicable to other cultures, ethnicities, etc. - cf. half-Japanese kids by American parents (white, black or other) and their treatment in Japan.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »
Its the legacy of a culture that thinks we have to "make up" for the legacy of raciism.
If they were born in the US, they're not black.  They're not white.  They're American.
Well, they are black, or they are white - it's kind of hard to not have a skin color.

If you mean ethnically - 'they're not African-American,' etc. - you're also wrong. Ever heard 'Irish-American'? 'Italian-American'? 'Greek-American'?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:47:47 AM »
Hyphenated-American is bull crap anyway. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
If you mean ethnically - 'they're not African-American,' etc. - you're also wrong. Ever heard 'Irish-American'? 'Italian-American'? 'Greek-American'?

Hyphenated-American is bull crap anyway. 

And now let's hear from a former President, noted author, and war hero, a man who won the Nobel Peace Prize when it still meant something, a man immortalized on Mount Rushmore . . .

Quote from: Theodore Roosevelt
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts "native" before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen.  . . .

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country.  . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American.  . . .

For an American citizen to vote as a German-American, an Irish-American, or an English-American, is to be a traitor to American institutions; and those hyphenated Americans who terrorize American politicians by threats of the foreign vote are engaged in treason to the American Republic.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 11:44:42 AM »
Teddy lecturing on ethnicity is... cute. Not a paragon of virtue when it came to equality and freedom, that one.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »

I can't recall ever seeing a box for "mixed" or "bi-racial." There also isn't a box for WASP, so on occasion I have been known to check "Other."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »
Legally, in most states, the mother's ethnicity determins the child's ethnicity.
Can someone tell me, coherently, just why in the hell we even have a legal ethnicity?
D. R. ZINN

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 06:50:43 PM »
This is also applicable to other cultures, ethnicities, etc. - cf. half-Japanese kids by American parents (white, black or other) and their treatment in Japan.

That would be my cousins.  My uncle (half german, half italian) married a local girl when he was working in Japan.  Let's just say Japan is not kind or subtle about its feelings towards kids with mixed ethnicities.  They've since moved back to the States and my cousins made it clear hell would freeze over before they'd ever go back.  Heard plenty of stories of racism in Japan before, but hearing it from your little cousins makes it a bit more personal.

Can someone tell me, coherently, just why in the hell we even have a legal ethnicity?

Census, identification purposes, statistics.  When they call in my info for NICS check, they include hair color, height, eye color and ethnicity.   Plenty of good reasons.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

Uhhhhh...
The mainstream media?
Most Americans?

I spent a great deal of time in South America in the late 70's. They've got a word for every kind of mix possible. So if you're half white - half black then you're a mulato. Indian/Black something else. Indian/White is another. Asian/Black another and so on and so on. You're not black just because you've got some in ya like here in Uhhhmuricah.

That's because of the old Spanish slave code-your legal rights were defined by such things.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »
Census, identification purposes, statistics.  When they call in my info for NICS check, they include hair color, height, eye color and ethnicity.   Plenty of good reasons. 
And can you tell me why the census needs to consider ethnicity? Or why identification need consider a legal definition of ethnicity rather than appearance? Or why the statistics of ethnicity should be important? I don't see any good reasons.
D. R. ZINN

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »
And can you tell me why the census needs to consider ethnicity? Or why identification need consider a legal definition of ethnicity rather than appearance? Or why the statistics of ethnicity should be important? I don't see any good reasons.

It helps you track and identify areas of concern. 

For example, if you have a region where 100 percent of convictions are of blacks, or 100 percent of blacks are convicts, there's probably something going on that's worth looking into...if you're interested in civil rights, anyway.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 07:19:41 PM »

I can't recall ever seeing a box for "mixed" or "bi-racial." There also isn't a box for WASP, so on occasion I have been known to check "Other."
  Saxon and Protestant are not necessarily races. 

Irish is not a race but an ethnicity.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »
your cousins spoke the truth!
its usually a polite racism but it is intense.
interestingly enough a black man would have higher status in japan than i do as a 1/2 japanese.  they take the race mixing as a shameful thing. my neighbor grew up in the south and spent 10 years in japan. he came home and decided to go back since he was treate dbetter as a black man in japan that he was here. we used to chuckle about him being way more japanese than me.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »
your cousins spoke the truth!
its usually a polite racism but it is intense.
interestingly enough a black man would have higher status in japan than i do as a 1/2 japanese.  they take the race mixing as a shameful thing. my neighbor grew up in the south and spent 10 years in japan. he came home and decided to go back since he was treate dbetter as a black man in japan that he was here. we used to chuckle about him being way more japanese than me.

The part that shocked me was how adults would treat 'half-breed' kids.  There are some things you DO NOT say to a child.  Any child, let alone a stranger's child. 

Yea, buddy of mine was black and spent some time in Japan.  Aside from people flat out staring and pointing, nothing that bad.  One time an Asian gentleman asked him for directions.  My buddy pointed to his skin and meantioned that he wasn't a local, he didn't know where anything was.  The other gentleman explained he was Korean.  He was asking my buddy to ask someone for directions.  Sure enough.  The gentleman asked my buddy the question, who relayed it to a local.  The Japanese wouldn't even acknowledge the Korean's presense, pretending he wasn't there or talking. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
your buddy speaking japanese woulda impressed them.
its a shame how folks can be to kids.
you should see what happens to the mixed kids in  korea  sometimes just abandoned on the streets to fend for themselves  and subject to abuse that will make you grit your teeth

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
Irish is not a race but an ethnicity.
You've got that switched.