Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Art
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
Do you like this here? 

The Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog, by Caspar David Friedrich

Or would you prefer something a little more pre-Raphealite, like so?

La Belle Dame Sans Merci, by John William Waterhouse
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Art
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:51:23 PM »
It's crooked. Tilt it a little that way, or use a level.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »
The first one makes me want to walk into the picture and give the guy a hard shove. After all, you only live once.  :laugh:

I'm not quite sure what goes on in the 2nd. Is he stabbing that girl?

I surmise that you're taking art 'preciation?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »
For aught I can tell, she's ushering him into the ranks of the undead.  Or something. 

La Belle Dame sans Merci: A Ballad
            by John Keats

O, what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
       Alone and palely loitering?
The sedge has withered from the lake,
       And no birds sing.

O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
       So haggard and so woe-begone?
The squirrel’s granary is full,
       And the harvest’s done.

I see a lily on thy brow,
       With anguish moist and fever-dew,
And on thy cheeks a fading rose
       Fast withereth too.

I met a lady in the meads
       Full beautiful—a faery’s child,
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
       And her eyes were wild.

I made a garland for her head,
       And bracelets too, and fragrant zone;
She looked at me as she did love,
       And made sweet moan.

I set her on my pacing steed,
       And nothing else saw all day long,
For sidelong would she bend, and sing
       A faery’s song.

She found me roots of relish sweet,
       And honey wild, and manna-dew,
And sure in language strange she said—
       ‘I love thee true’.

She took me to her elfin grot,
       And there she wept and sighed full sore,
And there I shut her wild wild eyes
       With kisses four.

And there she lullèd me asleep,
       And there I dreamed—Ah! woe betide!—
The latest dream I ever dreamt
       On the cold hill side.

I saw pale kings and princes too,
       Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci
       Thee hath in thrall!’

I saw their starved lips in the gloam,
       With horrid warning gapèd wide,
And I awoke and found me here,
       On the cold hill’s side.

And this is why I sojourn here,
       Alone and palely loitering,
Though the sedge is withered from the lake,
       And no birds sing.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »
Art appreciation huh?

I appreciate any art that looks like it took real talent to produce. Too much garbage art out there these days.

If someone has to explain the significance or meaning of the piece then it means that the artist needs to start over in order to help us understand what is he is trying to say.

Of course there is art for art's sake. I have some of that on my walls.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »
Neither of 'em do much for me.  I've seen more compelling work from commercial artists doing ad work and product packaging.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »
If someone has to explain the significance or meaning of the piece then it means that the artist needs to start over in order to help us understand what is he is trying to say.

That's exactly what I was thinking, when I went to an abstract art exhibit the other day.  Jackson Pollack, and other useless tools.  Allegedly, this "artwork" explored various themes, and said X and Y.  Uh, yeah, OK. 

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 11:02:30 PM »
I enjoy the Greek myth/nymph paintings from John William Waterhouse. They have a certain feel about them. Come to think of it, Waterhouse was pretty good at conveying that feeling in most of his paintings. Especially in the 1800's.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »
Neither of 'em do much for me.  I've seen more compelling work from commercial artists doing ad work and product packaging.

Engineers.   ;/   =)  The first one puts me in mind of a clear-eyed and independent man on a journey of exploration, or about to undertake an arduous quest.  Or, it's about the allure of wild places, or the unexplored, or what-have-you. 

The second is pre-Raphealite, which means you must be literate to appreciate it.  :P   =)  It's also what my wife uses for decoration, around here.  She can't get enough of it.  I like it.  It could be worse.  She might like that [shudder] modern crap. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 11:05:50 PM »
I enjoy the Greek myth/nymph paintings from John William Waterhouse. They have a certain feel about them. Come to think of it, Waterhouse was pretty good at conveying that feeling in most of his paintings. Especially in the 1800's.

Those guys had some gorgeous models, too.  Wasn't one of them married to his favorite model?  Lucky man.   =D

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »
I like them.

When it comes to art, I don't think it's really necessary to pick a side.  I find Bouguereau's* work awe inspiring, and am amazed by anyone that can paint so realistically- especially in a traditional medium- but I can enjoy something like Starry Night** or even more abstract works as well.  Obviously, one is much more impressive on a technical level, but I can enjoy them both for beauty, atmosphere, strangeness, etc.

*   http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/2002/NYSOPA_speech/bouguereau1.asp
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:VanGogh-starry_night_ballance1.jpg

Of course, a lot of modern art is complete BS that a child could produce with no more meaning or value than the materials used to make it, but there is a balance to be found.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
Engineers.   ;/   =)  The first one puts me in mind of a clear-eyed and independent man on a journey of exploration, or about to undertake an arduous quest.  Or, it's about the allure of wild places, or the unexplored, or what-have-you. 

The second is pre-Raphealite, which means you must be literate to appreciate it.  :P   =)  It's also what my wife uses for decoration, around here.  She can't get enough of it.  I like it.  It could be worse.  She might like that [shudder] modern crap. 
Meh.  I don't think "getting it" is the be-all and end-all of art.  I think meaning is coincidental.  Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, and it doesn't much matter either way.

I think the important thing is that art be pleasing to your senses.  If you don't enjoy looking at it (or listening to it, or whatever) then it doesn't matter how much meaning the piece might have.  If you do enjoy looking at it, then it doesn't matter if there's a message or not.

Personally, I don't find either of those pictures pleasing to look at.  They're nice enough, but they're nothing exceptional.  Others may disagree.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 03:56:14 AM »
Guys, today may be Jack the Dripper's birthday - I just had to use google, and it looked like the color fairy had puked all over the logo...

Blog under construction

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 08:41:49 AM »
My idea of good art is Norman Rockwell paintings or Ansel Adams photography.  Can't get enough of it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
You'll find Art in Terlingua, Texas.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:41 AM »
WRT the OP, the first image can be found on the cover of Paul Johnson's Birth of the Modern.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »
The lighting looks "off," particularly in the second image.

Call me an art philistine, but I like some of the artwork that adorns the covers of some paperback novels - those painted by Boris Vallejo come to mind.  :angel:

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:25 AM »

Guys, today may be Jack the Dripper's birthday - I just had to use google, and it looked like the color fairy had puked all over the logo...

It is. I had to go look after reading yours above. If you run the cursor over the painting a popup tag says, "Jackson Pollock's Birthday - Courtesy of the Pollack-Krasner Foundation/ARS NY".

Love the nickname for Pollack. I called him that once in response to a question from my sister and her husband laughed so hard he nearly passed out. He'd had a professor at college who was a rabid Pollack fan and was constantly raving and droning on about his work, to the point that my BIL and his fellow cadets were turned off of Pollack's work for life.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
The first one makes me want to walk into the picture and give the guy a hard shove. After all, you only live once.  :laugh:

I surmise that you're taking art 'preciation?

My father in law is an artist and when I ranted and raved about how some art appeared to me as crapolla, he smirked and stated, "It moved you, didn't it?"
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »

Call me an art philistine, but I like some of the artwork that adorns the covers of some paperback novels - those painted by Boris Vallejo come to mind.  :angel:

You're not... serious about Vallejo, are you?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
MTP: I like 'em both....

but, if we're speculating about Jack the Ripper, check out the works of Walter Sickert....

...not until he gets that armor off... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »
The first doesn't really do anything for me, but the second is good. I've always had very eclectic tastes. Bosch, Escher, and a lot of the Impressionists are my favorites painting wise. "Napoleon crossing the Alps" by David is an amazing work.

I actually really like woodcuts. I have a book of woodcuts of animals from back in the day, and I just love that sorta thing. The classical Greek and Roman marble statuary is also amazing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
"The Bailout" by Evard Munch is pretty good:

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Iain

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
There is a decent collection of Pre Raphaelite works in Birmingham Art Gallery

Edward Burne jones' "The Star of Bethlehem. Not my favourite, but huge and unlike any watercolour I had seen before.

There is a fair bit of Rossetti. I should go back there soon, there is a painting there I always make a beeline towards but cannot remember the name nor the artist right now. Going through their online collection to see if I can find it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also