Author Topic: Gasoline - how much per month?  (Read 3688 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Gasoline - how much per month?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
I've got a grueling 4 mile round trip commute. I spend more on lawn mower gas and tractor diesel in the summer.

It's even tougher for me:  I have to somehow manage to stagger from the living room to my office in the back of the house  =)

(except when I have to fly somewhere - damn I hate the TSA  >:D )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
It's even tougher for me:  I have to somehow manage to stagger from the living room to my office in the back of the house  =)

Yeah, since we moved from a 1300 sq. foot house to an 1800, my commute increased 38%.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »

Not enjoying your probulating Cartman ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »

Not enjoying your probulating Cartman ?

Actually, I think I almost got arrested in Grand Rapids because I was so sullen.

I didn't say anything - anything! - and there was a brief tense moment when several hands of blue just stared at me.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 06:47:16 AM »
Actually, I think I almost got arrested in Grand Rapids because I was so sullen.

I didn't say anything - anything! - and there was a brief tense moment when several hands of blue just stared at me.

Any eye/ear bleeding after the hands of blue scanned you?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
Any eye/ear bleeding after the hands of blue scanned you?

No, just smoke coming out of my ears.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »
No, just smoke coming out of my ears.

No smoking in the TSA line.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

P5 Guy

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
Just got the bill for last month, $67. I don't go anywhere :facepalm:

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 01:37:27 PM »
Gasoline is running me about $150/month at current prices.  The daily round trip commute is ~52 miles if I take the back way, 56 if I run main roads there and back again.  Plus some running around on the weekends so I'm filling up about 10 gallons a week.

Compact
Kia Forte
Hyundai Elantra
Toyota Corolla/Toyota Matrix
Honda Civic
Ford Focus

No Nissan on the list?  When I had to replace my last car that my idiot neighbor did a hit on run on last year, I test drove all those + Mazda offerings (had a Civic as rental).  The only one that felt right for me was another Sentra.  The Kia felt like an updated Yugo, the Hyundia, Mazda and Ford did not fit ergonomically and while the Toyota could have been a good fit, true to form the Toyota sales staff started the high pressue upsell so I walked (third time Toyota has done this in 20 years, never again).
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
Gasoline is running me about $150/month at current prices.  The daily round trip commute is ~52 miles if I take the back way, 56 if I run main roads there and back again.  Plus some running around on the weekends so I'm filling up about 10 gallons a week.

No Nissan on the list?  When I had to replace my last car that my idiot neighbor did a hit on run on last year, I test drove all those + Mazda offerings (had a Civic as rental).  The only one that felt right for me was another Sentra.  The Kia felt like an updated Yugo, the Hyundia, Mazda and Ford did not fit ergonomically and while the Toyota could have been a good fit, true to form the Toyota sales staff started the high pressue upsell so I walked (third time Toyota has done this in 20 years, never again).

Ugh...I wish had had that low of fuel consumption...my commute is identical, and I burn 14-20 gal a week depending on vehicle (or 6 if I take the bike, but it's been raining like every day!). Oh well, horsepower costs...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
I put skinny high-pressure tires on my truck a year and a half ago and picked up about 2 mpg *and* I get much better traction in the winter.  (now I'm wondering if I put the Michelin LRR version of the same skinny tires on next time if I'll get another 2 mpg, of if that would only help when I'm actually carrying a heavy enough load to flex the sidewalls.)

2 MPG might not sound like much, but it's a pretty healthy percent increase going from 15 to 17+.
"It's good, though..."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »
Wow. I wasn't expecting anything quite so disparate. From a few bucks to over $1000.  :O
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
2 MPG might not sound like much, but it's a pretty healthy percent increase going from 15 to 17+.

Yup. In terms of most gallons of fuel saved a year, a hybrid suburban is much better ROI than a hybrid compact.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »
$0 - I live in a big city and my job is only 1.8 miles away. I walk it 95% of the time, and take the bus ($3.10 round trip) when it's raining or so hot I'd sweat through my clothes. Or when I'm hungover and don't feel like being under the sun that long.

Before anyone gets jealous, this city bleeds me in a million other ways.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
I have a 12 mile commute now, so hopefully i'll be paying MUCH less now.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
Right now, probably $250-$350 a month.  Of course, a lot of that is running around for side jobs, so it's not all unrecoverable $.

My raw commute with my mustang at current fuel prices is $150 a month.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
Wow. I wasn't expecting anything quite so disparate. From a few bucks to over $1000.  :O

i drive 140 miles 7 days for part time job  plus regular work and  wifes driving  it adds up quick at close to 4 bucks a gallon
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
Cost me ~ $95 to fill up the F-150.  Was driving it 125 miles a day, 5 days a week to work and back.  Would use 2 tanks of gas each week.  $190 per week = $760 per month. 

Decided to drop 5k on a 2003 VW Golf.  Cost $40 to fill up and now only spend $80 per week on the commute. $80 per week = $320 per month.  Buying that car saved me $440 per month.