Author Topic: Dang it's hot.  (Read 11294 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Dang it's hot.
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:41 PM »
Been a little warmer and drier than average this Summer. Damn that Algore and his Globular Warming.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/74017

Looks like we are in for a cold snap next week though.

Of course I expect the drought to end and the skies to open up come July 30th. We plan to hit the road for Colorado on the bike that morning.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
Re: Dang it's hot.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
Funny you said the 30th. I looked at the long range forcast and it ended on the 29th with everyday at 100° +/- a couple of degrees.

We could use some rain. The blackberries are done in for this year.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »
SWMBO claims it's gotten up to 80F once so far this year.  I'm not so sure.  It's been cool and wet all "summer".  I don't think it got over 67 today.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:18:14 AM »
Highs of 100+ for the rest of the week, here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »
We could use some rain. The blackberries are done in for this year.

It's been so cool and wet the berries suck here.  SWMBO had to wait about an extra month to make her strawberry jam.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:27:22 AM by sumpnz »
Formerly sumpnz

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:03 AM »
Working on the 17th day in a row of 100+ here.  But, I installed a new AC system and the house is a cold 72 degrees and the electric bill is 100 bucks less than it was with the old system.....Could be worse, I could still be in the UP in January.......chris3

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Here's it's getting into the low 90's every day, but the dewpoints are well into the 80's.  You walk outside and the humidity takes your breath away.  (right now it's at 94%)  If  you've been in the air conditioning, the surface of your skin and your clothes are cool enough that dew starts condensing on you.

At least that ought to be good for the corn crop.
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »
Here in North Dallas the nightly LOW temperatures have been in the mid-80Fs. When I walk out of the house at at 5:30am it's typically over 80F. Daily highs have been over 100 pretty much every day. I gave up watering all the floofy old-person plants that my previous homeowner had planted, because I don't have time to stand over them with a water hose. I'll let natural selection cull out the weaklings and then I'll either plant something more hardy, or something more useful like blackberries.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
We've pretty much seen '90's since March.  And little rain, we're like 20" behind for the year.
Drizzly and mid 80's right now, though.  Got a quick bike ride in.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »
Only got to 115 or so here today. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
www.veskimo.com

I have the backpack version. Makes riding in really hot weather much more enjoyable
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
100 here yesterday, and supposed to hit 105 today.  Nighttime though, it gets into the mid sixties.  That's a nice part about the high plains.

So, RKLarry, do your trip plans take you anywhere near Pueblo?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 01:00:18 AM »
Here in North Dallas the nightly LOW temperatures have been in the mid-80Fs. When I walk out of the house at at 5:30am it's typically over 80F. Daily highs have been over 100 pretty much every day.

Yeah, the problem is its doing that here in central Illinois. 96 high /83 low today with high humidity.

AND its not even August yet.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 01:01:30 AM »
The rough plan is mostly up to the north. The Family reunion is at a "resort" place between Loveland and Estes Park.
We will come into CO on I70 on the way in but I haven't decided on the trip home and may take the southern route that would take us through Pueblo.
My wife hasn't spent much time in Colorado so pretty much anything I show her will be new. I lived in Aurora for about 5 years as a kid and we did all the usual sights then. I've also made a couple trips there on a bike but the last one will have been right at 20 years ago whe we leave next week.
Since we will be right there we'll have to go up into RMNP of course. The last time I rode through there it was one serious cold sleeting, raining SOB of a ride, and very memorable.
If we take the southern route home I may have to take a run up Pikes Peak, last time I was there was in the early '70s.
If we go that way Pueblo would be a convenient stop over for the night.  If we do that it would most likely put us in Pueblo Thursday evening on Aug. 4th.
Then depending on weather we could go back through the panhandle and take a brief visit to Black Mesa on the way home.

Mostly I have a rough trip outline and only a few hard points to make. everything else is written in pencil on warm jello.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:23:22 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:20 AM »
I keep hearing about this heat wave but here it's been raining for the past week.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:49 AM »
Yeah, the problem is its doing that here in central Illinois. 96 high /83 low today with high humidity.

AND its not even August yet.

Supposed to be either 98 or 110, or maybe one's the "heat index" which is weather speak for hotter then hell.   Power shut off three or four times today.  I'm hunkered down in the basement of Festung Scout where it's 68F all year 'round.  I may setup a cot and sleep down here.  Low tonight is supposed to be 86F.  So I may venture upstairs to sleep, once the bus hits me(1).....

(1)today was a chemo day.  "When the bus hits me" I go from my usual feeling like "Meh" to "Total Dogshit" in the space of about 5 minutes, once the chemo "kicks in".  It Sucketh. Royally.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 04:38:25 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 05:16:25 AM »
After yesterday I am just about ready to concede that "but it's a dry heat" may have some validity.

What with all the health issues I admit that merely getting around can be taxing, but when you step out and feel like you are drowning as that first breath of humidity hits, it's time to rethink certain things.

I'm going to stay inside and hold a festival of praise to the invention of air conditioning.  There is nothing I can think of that absolutely requires me to go out in that combination of heat and humidity - and it's way too late to start thinking about building up an acclimitazation to it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
I try to get all my garden work in in the early hours, if I get out early and stay out as it heats up I can hang most of the day with adequate hydration. If I try to go out in the heat from AC then it just beats me down right away.

Samuel Adams

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 09:01:36 AM »
9 am 75 degrees and 96% humid. Supposed to go to 98 today.  [barf]
NJ the only state where the humidity can and does go over 100%.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
After yesterday I am just about ready to concede that "but it's a dry heat" may have some validity.
What with all the health issues I admit that merely getting around can be taxing, but when you step out and feel like you are drowning as that first breath of humidity hits, it's time to rethink certain things.

I'm going to stay inside and hold a festival of praise to the invention of air conditioning.  There is nothing I can think of that absolutely requires me to go out in that combination of heat and humidity - and it's way too late to start thinking about building up an acclimitazation to it.

stay safe.

Its a lie invented by people who don't live in the desert.  115 is like jamming your head in an oven.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:34 AM »
Its a lie invented by people who don't live in the desert.  115 is like jamming your head in an oven.

Like this?

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
We will come into CO on I70 on the way in but I haven't decided on the trip home and may take the southern route that would take us through Pueblo.

Whatever you do, don't take US 50 east  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
Only 92 here but with 80-something % humidity, "feels like" 103. But I won't complain. I'd rather be hot than cold. And y'all will get an earful of me griping about the cold this winter.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »
It was around 100 here for a few days, with the RH around 50% which is terrible for Montana.

We actually ran the AC for a couple afternoons.

Last night a cold front came through.  Today is beautiful - about 80 degrees, sunny, dry, and a bit windy.  Had a nice ride on my horse.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin