Author Topic: Any hobby oriented welders here?  (Read 3061 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Any hobby oriented welders here?
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
I have a small job for someone who can do small part assembly with a wire welder.  Simple enough job I believe.  Only involves putting a piece of steel tube on a stake, and a piece of strap iron on a tube.  I have the parts cut, only to discover that JB Weld won't hold. 

I can send pictures if anyone wants to tackle it for me.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Any hobby oriented welders here?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:51:11 PM »
Just a thought, is there a high school nearby that still does a welding class?  You might be able to get a student to do it if you are not in a hurry.

WhiteTiger

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »
I'm new around here so don't know where you're located, but if the texas panhandle is within what you consider reasonable distance for this I can handle it. I still have my wirefeed, tig and gas welding outfits.

Tiger

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »
If you'll be doing a good bit of this type of thing it might not be a bad idea to learn.  You can get started for around 250 depending on the machine you get.  I could show you the chart and teach you to use a SMAW (Shielded metal arc welder AKA stick) in an hour or two (basic proficiency of course, not make you a master or anything).  No gas, no feed rates, no fuss, just learn a bit about the different electrodes so you pick the right one and refer to the chart for your amperage. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »
I am looking to only make 4 of the finished product for my own use at this time.  If I sent a picture of the finished product and the parts to duplicate it, it would be cake for someone with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs as opposed to my 10 thumbs.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
Hey grandpa whats you 20?
I could weld it up if you are near NW PRNJ.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:35:11 PM »
could you do the same work with sweat soldered copper/brass?

thats really easy, some clean materials, solder, some flux and a torch
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 08:11:15 PM »
GS, I sent you a PM.

Jim