Author Topic: Michigan State Po-Po downloading smartphone data on minor traffic stops  (Read 10921 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

For a traffic stop.

A frakking traffic stop.

Facebook isn't enough, evidently.  Unhappy with the cross-reference capabilities of the NSA datamining your email inbox via Facebook (which most of dumb America voluntarily allowed), they are now forcibly taking your smartphone by proxy of State Troopers in MI, using vendor-firmware backdoors, and cross-referencing dumb America's tendency to integrate Facebook crap on their phone, into contact lists (with phone numbers, addresses, names, text conversations, etc).

Hey, whatever protects us from terrorism. :facepalm:

If you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to worry about. [barf]

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
I saw this story a few minutes ago.  It will be interesting to see how it shakes out with the ACLU up in arms over it.  Them popos are putting some serious dents in the 4th.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Use encryption.  Load up your phone with plenty of inaccurate information.  And consider installing a locking compartment in your vehicle.  Put your money, cell phone, etc in it.  Under existing and legal asset seizure laws, it's not just your cell phone that they can arrest.  No, I'm not bloody kidding.  It is legal to arrest inanimate objects.

It's obviously blatantly unconstitutional, and a bad idea in general.  I doubt this will be the last we'll see of it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
This *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* has been going on since 2008!!!!??!!!!!

It's not just smartphones...it's all phones, such as my GZOne Boulder and then even the previous generation of "dumb" phones we used to use...

What. The. *expletive deleted*.??!!??

And yet people just do that little, stupid laugh when you try to talk about the ever increasing police state...

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:56:35 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

erictank

• friends
Under what imagined authority do they believe they can do this?  The Fourth Amendment would seem to be a hard/fast bright line in this case - a "Nope.  Ain't happ'nin," kinda thing.  And it says in the article that it can defeat password protection, too?  How the hell is this legal?  And how can MISP justify charging ACLU *HALF A MILLION DOLLARS* to respond to their request for records of the use of the device?  Turnabout's fair play, here, IMO - if MISP has done nothing wrong, then they have nothing to hide and should provide the requested information.

The phrase "police state" is getting thrown around more and more these days.  There's a reason for that, IMO.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Help me understand this.  Are the Michigan cops asking/saying "If you have nothing to hide you shouldn't mind letting us do this"?  Or are they saying "We will do this regardless of your objection"?

If folks are dumb enough to allow this then they pretty much deserve what happens.  If the cops are telling folks they must submit then there may not be enough lampposts in the state.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Move along. Nothing to see here. Just good ole cops who want to go home at the end of their shift. Those evil cell phones might prevent that.

This, IMO, is just further conformation that police, in attitude and action, think that they are a different class, better than other animals.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

HankB

• friend
Hmmm . . . two phones . . . one real phone you'll hide, then a decoy phone, hopefully loaded with plenty of bogus information that incriminates varioius public officials, or a virus that will infect the Physical Analyzer . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
The article didn't mention it, so what is the point of downloading the phone data?  What are the cops trying to accomplish?  How does the data help the police to "serve and protect?"
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Hmmm . . . two phones . . . one real phone you'll hide, then a decoy phone, hopefully loaded with plenty of bogus information that incriminates varioius public officials, or a virus that will infect the Physical Analyzer . . .
There probably is a current law, or soon will be, against having a decoy phone. It might even fall under the umbrella of hiding evidence.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Michigan State Po-Po downloading smartphone data on minor traffic stops
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »
Help me understand this.  Are the Michigan cops asking/saying "If you have nothing to hide you shouldn't mind letting us do this"?  Or are they saying "We will do this regardless of your objection"?

No idea.  I was pulled over by a MSP trooper about a month ago and nothing was said about my cell phone.

Or the loaded Glock in the glovebox. :)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
Under what imagined authority do they believe they can do this?
Probably "officer safety", or perhaps "fighting trrrism", or "War on Drugs".  Those seem to be the magic incantations that cause judges to say "that seems reasonable" and let the cops do whatever they want.  And if it ever doesn't work, the only penalty is suppression of the evidence that they would not have obtained other wise.  
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
I wonder if MI has a law banning texting while driving like we have in WI?
Wouldn't surprise me if they use a somewhat innocuous law that nobody follows as a pretext to snooping your phone contents. [barf]
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »
Hey, I read the article, and I'm kind of confused...how did we get from buying some equipment to using it on motorists during minor traffic stops?  Did I miss something in the article?  Seriously, point it out if I did miss something, because from what I just read, the author assumes that because it can be used on a motorist stopped for a traffic offense, that's what it's for.  Using the same logic, my local PD just bought a pair of new suppressed MP-5's to shoot children on the playground who bully other children.

On a serious note, the Supreme Court has ruled that if an officer expands a traffic stop beyond the offense, the officer must have a reasonable, articulable suspicion of criminal activit (Terry vs. Ohio standard), of the officer must inform the motorist he/she is free to go, and then request consent to expand the stop.  best response I've ever seen to such a request is "I'd love to cooperate with you, officer, but I'm on a schedule, and the traffic stop kind of threw that off a bit, so I can't afford to be here any longer." 

Personally, if you wanna hook up my smartphone, I'm requesting to see the warrant.  Yes, I may end up in cuffs, but that's what I'm gonna do.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »
I wonder if MI has a law banning texting while driving like we have in WI?

Yep, brand spanking new law.  It's a primary offense too.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
Chris,
Here is a little bit of a different article on the subject.  It claims that the devices have already been used to download stopped motorists.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/27564088/detail.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
known of cops mining cellphones in dope cases. and in one kid disappearance.  never eard of it at aa simple traffic stop.  a stop with a k of coke in the trunk yea
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »
EMP generator in your drivers door, plus a copper mesh cell phone envelope. 

Problem solved.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »

Problem solved.

Why not just modify a smartphone with a nice fat electrolytic cap, some charge pump circuitry, and dump 30V at like 100A across all the data pins on the USB if a code isn't included.  Warn the police. "sir, my phone is a special phone and will likely not work with your equipment, and may cause damage". Cop plugs in device, fries his Orwell-a-tron.  Repeat as necessary, preferably while recording it.  Observe how many times police connect phone to various equipment, estimate IQ as 100/number of times.  I wonder if you could be charged for that if you didn't give them permission, and warned them.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »
Why not just modify a smartphone with a nice fat electrolytic cap, some charge pump circuitry, and dump 30V at like 100A across all the data pins on the USB if a code isn't included.  Warn the police. "sir, my phone is a special phone and will likely not work with your equipment, and may cause damage". Cop plugs in device, fries his Orwell-a-tron.  Repeat as necessary, preferably while recording it.  Observe how many times police connect phone to various equipment, estimate IQ as 100/number of times.  I wonder if you could be charged for that if you didn't give them permission, and warned them.

Surgically alter the USB pin-outs on your phone, then mod a custom charging and data cable back at home.

It won't fry the device.

But the device won't read it, either.

ETA:  Add a switch to the mod, so that the pinouts can be standard based on one switch position, and nonstandard in the other.

Or, use a custom wire translating harness between the nonstandard phone USB port and the standard USB cable.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
No, birdman's right.  We want to break their toys.

His idea is more elegant then mine, but mine has the added fun of maybe getting the officer's personal cell phone in the pulse.  Need a big cap though.  I've seen ~3F 12V caps for car audio applications.  We only need a couple feet range.  And maybe a directional antenna.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
No, birdman's right.  We want to break their toys.

His idea is more elegant then mine, but mine has the added fun of maybe getting the officer's personal cell phone in the pulse.  Need a big cap though.  I've seen ~3F 12V caps for car audio applications.  We only need a couple feet range.  And maybe a directional antenna.
Those caps aren't suitable to drive an HPM, their internal resistance is too high (too long of a pulse).  With the proper pulse forming, they might be useful for an initial stage.  Also, most sources require relatively high voltage. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
Why not just modify a smartphone with a nice fat electrolytic cap, some charge pump circuitry, and dump 30V at like 100A across all the data pins on the USB if a code isn't included.  Warn the police. "sir, my phone is a special phone and will likely not work with your equipment, and may cause damage". Cop plugs in device, fries his Orwell-a-tron.  Repeat as necessary, preferably while recording it.  Observe how many times police connect phone to various equipment, estimate IQ as 100/number of times.  I wonder if you could be charged for that if you didn't give them permission, and warned them.

Nice.

I'm guessing an IQ of 50.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
Nice.

I'm guessing an IQ of 50.

Too kind, I bet they'd fry the first one, the one in the cruiser who showed up for backup, and the one at the station.  And I bet that would still happen if you warned them each time.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »

Problem solved.

I was thinking more of mounting the EMP on the rear of my truck facing the police cruiser....fry the toys before they even leave the vehicle....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.