Author Topic: Michigan State Po-Po downloading smartphone data on minor traffic stops  (Read 10926 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Michigan State Po-Po downloading smartphone data on minor traffic stops
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
I was thinking more of mounting the EMP on the rear of my truck facing the police cruiser....fry the toys before they even leave the vehicle....  :cool:
Why not just trigger it as you drive by the speed trap?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 04:10:54 AM »
I don't see why everyone is getting there knickers in a twist over this.
The founding fathers never imagined cell phones so how could they be covered under the 4th Amendment?
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
^  A verrrry pointed remark.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »
Someone needs to program an app that automatically finds and downloads pictures of cop's wife/mom when you enter a badge number. >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
The police that have used this machine need a refresher on the 4th Amend. Also need to be fired. If anyone that is in LE thinks this is a good thing to use, or thinks its bad but just doesnt say something. You are part of the problem.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
i am looking for an example of some real person this has been used on, in an illegal manner.  anyone got one? i checked alex jones he had bupkus
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
i am looking for an example of some real person this has been used on, in an illegal manner.  anyone got one? i checked alex jones he had bupkus

Good luck finding anything, but there has to be a reason the MSP is stonewalling the FOIA requests.
Look, tiny text!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »

Spot me $500k and I'll get you the reports of it being used.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 11:20:10 AM »
Good luck finding anything, but there has to be a reason the MSP is stonewalling the FOIA requests.

Spot me $500k and I'll get you the reports of it being used.

Ayup.  My horse sense tells me that if there wasn't dirt to FOIA, there would be no great obstables to getting the FOIA'd data.

Citizens, too, can use their experience to note squirrelly behavior of potential thugs, just as LEOs can.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
so thats a no then?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »
so thats a no then?

lack of evidence =/= evidence of lack.

It's not my job to dig up every detail.  You're the one trying to convince all of us that it's no big deal.  You provide the MSP's usage policy and evidence of training on said policy.  You prove that they have some pressing real need to get this data on the side of the road, vs with a warrant and lab.  Otherwise it's like a 5 year old with a gun.  Sure the worst might not happen, but it's still a stupid idea.

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
i would like to see an example of what has been done. surely with the countries best minds working the issue someone has one case?  wnd? newsmax? prison planet?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
Ayup.  My horse sense tells me that if there wasn't dirt to FOIA, there would be no great obstables to getting the FOIA'd data.

If they have nothing to hide, then why are they so afraid of public inquiry?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »
There's that double standard again csd. Cop shoots someone you assume the shootee was at fault unless supply the evidence, cops stonewall foia request about new toy that violates the fourth and we gotta prove it's being misused... How we're supposed to do that when the cops are refusing foia requests is an open question. And of course list questionable news sources (who by your own admission aren't in any way connected to the story) in an attempt to smear via guilt by (non-existent) association. That's just weak man.

Chris: when the Patriot Act was passed I knew it would be abused long before the first meth lab was called a wmd.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
i would like to see an example of what has been done.

That's your problem. 

The fact that they have the ability, coupled with law enforcement's tendency to push limits when they think they can is enough for me to be unhappy.  The fact that they seem unwilling to share the details of it's use to date is just icing on the cake of "They're up to something"

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 01:33:29 AM »
The fact that they seem unwilling to share the details of it's use to date is just icing on the cake of "They're up to something"

What "they" are up to?  Up to their arse in trouble. That's why they are having "troubles" with the FOIA requests. Keep it in the dark as long as possible, maybe it will go away. I sure hope not. And I hope each and every person involved, from the cop on the street, the LE admin that approved to the maker of the extraction device gets sued out of house, home, and their children's college fund. Then I hope for criminal charges, violation of civil rights under color of law.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 02:19:27 AM »
The title to this thread is misleading - it implies that this device is used routinely, which I can't see any evidence of.

There is definitely something embarrassing in that FOI material.  Doubly embarrassing is that they need to use the bill to withhold it, which says they did something shady and didn't consider how to keep it out of FOI (which no self-respecting gov't official ever does - it's a hallmark of professional incompetence.)

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
so...  whats the name of that guy who had their smart phone downloaded?  during a routine traffic stop? not being  a big fan of "it coulda happened that way"

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 12:25:27 PM »
How can i put this without giving up to much info......... =|

Why does Michigan Police have NSA equipment and using out in the open ?   :facepalm:

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
Why does Michigan Police have NSA equipment and using out in the open ?   

Don't go putting logic out there like that. It will make LEOs and their groupies heads explods. They think this evolving police state is a good thing, and they will always give the benefit of the doubt to LE. That is backwards as our founders saw it. The benefit of the doubt goes to the individual/citizen.

The $500K they wanted for the FOIA request was probably going to purchase more of this equipment.

It would be pretty simple to put this issue away. Release the info of the FOIA request. It must be pretty damning against LE. Or they would have issued a statement or complied with the FOIA request by now.

Abraham Lincoln

• friends
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »
It must be pretty damning

presumes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
Let me repeat myself:

Quote from: dogmush
The fact that they have the ability, coupled with law enforcement's tendency to push limits when they think they can is enough for me to be unhappy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »
FTR MSP's statement on the device is here

Money Paragraph:
Quote from: Michigan State Police
The MSP only uses the DEDs if a search warrant is obtained or if the person possessing the mobile device gives consent. The department*s internal directive is that the DEDs only be used by MSP specialty teams on criminal cases, such as crimes against children.

Assuming they get a warrant or consent, they are operating inside existing rules.  Eventually our society is going to have to come to terms with the sheer volume of information about our habits that we each generate and store with technology, and either become OK with .gov knowing a lot more then they used to, or give .gov's leash a sharp jerk. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
consent

The police keep using that word...  it's spelled i-n-t-i-m-i-d-a-t-i-o-n  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
not so!  there are many who will never be cowed,  the internet is full of them.

so with consent or warrant?  whats the beef again?  anyone find the name of that one guy abused by this?
in the real world cops get to ask.  you can say no.  too stupid or scared?  want to run a bluff say yes and count on them not finding what you are hiding?  its darwin in the criminal world