Author Topic: Job interview advice, please  (Read 3304 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Job interview advice, please
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
A few weeks ago I found a job position that I would love to have at a company I would love to work for.  I've been trying to make that job mine ever since.  I've managed to make my way through their first line of defenses and things are starting to get serious.  They want to do a phone interview with me tomorrow afternoon, and if I can impress them with that they'll bring me out to Washington for a formal interview.

Any suggestions or advice on how to handle a phone interview?  I've never done a phone interview before, and I really want to nail it. 

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Job interview advice, please
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 03:56:51 PM »
Well, what ever you do, DO NOT tell them about the time you and a buddy trapped some dude in an elevator and beat him bloody and unconscious.

We actually had some bozo relate that story to us back when I worked in the sciences.  Seeing as the crew already had a "loose cannon" on staff, the interviewe was not asked to join us.

I've never done such (phone interviews), but I don't think it would hurt to be in a quite environment, turn off all cell phones, pagers and call waiting.  Having copies of your resume on hand (identical to what you sent 'em) would be good as well.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:57:54 PM »
Yes,

Dress yourself for the interview, even though you are doing it over the phone.  If the interview calls for a suit, wear one.  How seriously you take yourself/the job will be transmitted over the phone.

When on the phone, sit up straight, speak directly into the phone, avoid all distractions, just like a live interview.

Take notes if you think it will help, but don't allow yourself to be distracted.

Try to think of pertinent questions now, instead of waiting until the interviewer asks.

Good luck.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
Do not chew bubble gum, eat popcorn, or drink beer while talking on the telephone.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »
Turn your computer off and keep a notepad and a few pens handy.  Phone interviews let you cheat, so in addition to the exact resume you sent them, keep a bunch of notes on anything you think is important so that there's never a slow moment in the conversation.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Is the phone interview the first contact you've had with the company?  Reason I ask is phone interviews are typically screening interviews if conducted by HR or HR's cat's paws.  You've been put into a pile of technically qualified applicants.  The phone interview is to trim the pile down to 3 to 5 applicants who are all technically qualified and who appear to have desirable personal characteristics.

If the phone interview is conducted by the hiring authority (i.e. your future boss-man) the interview will confirm technical qualifications then spend a fair amount of time poking around intangible qualities.  Fer-instance, you may well be technically qualified for the job but if the interviewer determines you can not communicate orally sufficient to work with others in the workspace, you will be whiffed on consideration.  The hiring authority may well be wanting to shorten the pile to one or two candidates who will be given a trip for a face interview.

You also need to assert some control over the interview.  It is perfectly acceptable for you to call your contact in the company and ask the name and title of the individual with whom you will talk.  Also find out if there will be anyone else in the conversation.  I've had phone interviews which turned out to be panel interviews where I was worked over by a panel of people with whom I would eventually work.  Don't go into it blind.  Find out who will be asking questions and who will be listening.

Targeting a job is like playing golf.  When you stand in the tee box your objective is not putting the ball in the hole.  Your objective is to put the ball 250 yards down range in the center of the fairway.  Your next shot is to put the ball within an easy 9 iron of the green.  The third shot is to put the ball within 5 feet of the pin.  Shot four is to put it in the hole.  Each shot has a different purpose.  Each interview has a different purpose.  You must find out if you are in the tee box or on the fairway.

Keep us posted.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »
Some very good advice above. I would add:

1) Try to smile when you talk on the phone. They cannot see your face, but your intonation and general attitude will be positively affected by the smile, and they will pick up on them.

2) If you are one of those who gesticulates a lot in conversation, work extra hard in preparation to compensate for the fact that they cannot see you.

3) Don't joke on the phone, especially not in sarcasm. Again, they cannot see you and so cannot pick up on it.

4) Be sure to let them finish their questions before answering.

5) Match your strategy to the point of the conversation. For example, if they are not making you an offer yet, don't include salary questions on your part, but be ready to answer them if the interviewers ask you themselves what you might think would be reasonable.

6) Be ready to defend and substantiate anything you prepare yourself to say.

7) If the interview goes south, remain polite, positive, and constructive. You do not know who is listening. Whoever bit in your side might be provoking you on purpose. Also, somebody else might decide to hire you. Finally, in many fields people make a name for themselves. You don't want to make the wrong one.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 08:41:22 PM »
I've done a number of phone interviews.  I honestly can't think of one that didn't result in a face to face interview.  If any did it was probably one that I was just as happy to loose.

Typically when I get a phone interview its from the hiring manager.  Typically a recruiter or Catbert type will call to do an initial screen.  I usually don't consider that to be so much an interview as them confirming what's on your resume and maybe getting a little more detail so the hiring manager can make their decisions on who's the best bets for the "real" phone interview.

The most important things have already been mentioned, but I will point out that it is a good idea to know as you can about the company ahead of time so you can make intelligent comments about how your past experience relates to the work they do.  Sometimes that takes a little effort if there's not an obvious link.

Definitely make sure there a minimum of distractions so you can think clearly and quickly.  The phone interview that helped me land the job in Yakima required a lot of ability to concentrate so I made sure I was not going to be interrupted by my kids. 

Relax enough to be natural but keep up your guard.  There's reasonable chance that they'll throw you a curve-ball just to see how you handle it.

Never discuss money at such an early stage.  If they bring it up avoid answering by saying things like "I'd rather wait until any offers are made to discuss that issue", or "I would expect an offer commensurate with my experience and education".  If they ask what you're making right now, tell them or don't tell them, but don't let that distract from the guts of the interview.

I've had phone interviews that lasted for 2 minutes and for an entire hour.  Sometimes it's just the hiring manager asking a few easy questions and then inviting you out for an on-site, sometimes it's a conference call with several other people bombarding you and it takes them a week to call back with an invite.  And anything in between.

Do not chew bubble gum, eat popcorn, or drink beer while talking on the telephone.
Good advice but it might be a good idea to have a glass of water/juice or a cup of coffee/tea on hand.  If you get a marathon session you'll need to be able to wet your throat on occasion.  Just make sure you don't slurp.  Nothing carbonated though.  Belching on a phone interview is bad ju-ju.

Avoid talking about your personal interests, especially those that relate to hunting/shooting/fishing.  If anything spin it as hiking and camping.  You never know if the interviewer is a PETA type or a Ted Nugent fan.  If the former talking about that will quickly end the interview, but avoiding it won't hurt with the latter.

Good luck.
Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 03:21:42 AM »
I'd consider tape recording the interview - if the law in your state prohibits recording the other party, at least you should tape YOUR side of the conversation. Review what is said afterward, and make notes afterward - you'll want to remember what you said and how you said it.

Assume there are other people listening in at the other end of the line.

Assume everything you say is being noted in detail or recorded.

Sometimes they may ask you if you would transfer information from your current job to them. Beware - they may be shifty and looking for a "spy" at a competitor they can "milk" for knowledge, but most likely they're checking your own integrity in a roundabout way. (If you're willing to share trade secrets from your last employer with them, why wouldn't you share their trade secrets with your next employer?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 06:35:30 AM »
Thanks, y'all.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »
Well crap.  My interviewer never called.

undecided

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »
Call him, if you can.  Maybe he had technical trouble or forgot or was hung-up on something else.  In any case, don't just give up.  Show the guy that you want the job and that you are eager to prove yourself.

Be aggressive without being a pain in the ass.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »
Call him, if you can...
I would, except he wouldn't give me his number or his last name.  I'm not sure how to track him down.  I'll have to think about it...

undecided

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 02:00:31 PM »
Pick up the phone and begin dialing.  Call the switchboard and ask to speak to <>.  If no name appears at the switchboard, ask to speak to the secretary in the functional area in which your contact would inhabit should he be in that location.

Hint:  secretaries hold the keys to the throne room.  Be straightforward, honest and open.  If one inquires as to why you are looking, tell'em straight from the shoulder.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 02:08:16 PM »
Yeah, I thought of calling the HR department and simply explaining the situation to the secretary.  It probably can't hurt.  I just need to be careful about how I do it.  There's a fine line between asking for a little bit of help and appearing helpless.

I've been involved in the hiring process from the employers perspective before.  Trust me, whiny little sh*ts calling all day long to ask abut this or that inconsequential detail gets annoying really fast.  If they need handholding during the hiring process, it's a sure sign that they'll need handholding while on the job.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 03:01:05 AM »
Whinning is one thing.  Extending to the candidate common, ordinary human courtesy is quite another.  Standing up for common courtesy will separate you from the whinners.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 06:43:22 AM »
YESSSS!!!!     grin grin

Called 'em back today and they asked me to skip the phone interview and simply come out for an on-site visit.  "Excited" doesn't begin to describe my mood right now!

grin grin grin

mike

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
Good Luck!! grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 08:33:34 AM »
Get a new suit, if you don't have a current one.

Current style of choice in general is the three-button small-lapel jacket, but don't button all three buttons. Two-button is acceptable but dated, four-button looks like a walking clarinet. Tailoring is good. Charcoal with a very fine, tiny stripe is good, quiet and conservative, but high-tech looking. Solid ties or subtle patterns are good. SILK tie, no polyester. You can tell. No fish ties, or you'll end up in the mailroom.

There's nothing worse than showing up to an interview in an old suit, or one that doesn't fit, with pants or sleeves too short. I've seen people wander around to some in everything from badly outdated double-breasted suits (BAD) to thrift-shop-special 1980's three-piece sorts with a vest that look like they just walked off the set of ancient "Dallas" reruns.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 11:07:08 AM »
...No fish ties, or you'll end up in the mailroom...
What's a fish tie?  <Hopes desperately that none of his ties are "fish ties"...>

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 11:14:59 AM »
...No fish ties, or you'll end up in the mailroom...
What's a fish tie?  <Hopes desperately that none of his ties are "fish ties"...>

Those cheesy polyester joke ties that look like you're wearing a fish, they're painted to look like one.

AKA, how not to be taken seriously.  cheesy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 11:19:31 AM »
Oh.  Yeah.  I knew that.  Honest, I did.

cheesy

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »
Great news!  Spend some time researching the company. Learn what you can and craft 3 company // business related questions.  Commit them to memory.  Then write and commit 6 questions pertaining to your job, the first of which had better be "Why is this position open?"  Also get a picture of what other functions you will interface with.

At some point in the interview the interviewer will ask, "Do you have any questions?" at which point you can start asking.  Remember the answers so you can play them back in your thank you note.  No one writes thank you notes.  It is a cheap and easy way to separate you from the herd.

Pay attention to the usual---polished shoes, no holes, matching socks, comb the boogers from your beard.   rolleyes

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »
I got alot of great information from these articles written from a headhunter's perspective
Headhunter articles

I'd suggest you research as much as you can about the company and what they do. 
They will probably hit you with the typical interview questions, where do you see yourself in 5 years, your strength and weekness etc.
Do what you can to take control of the interview and probe them for what they would consider their primarly problems and needs.
And then explain how you would tackle those problems. 
Act as if it's not an interview but a review of a current employee.
The idea is to explain in real terms how you would be an asset to the company.  Not ask/beg them for a job.
FWIW
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
Congrats!  Hope the for real interview goes well.

I've had interviews where I was mercilessly grilled for hours and then in spite of feeling like I'd nailed it, been turned down.  I've also had interviews that were almost pointless and very short and resulted in really good job offers.  You never really can tell.
Formerly sumpnz