Author Topic: Interview at Courthouse This Week  (Read 524 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Interview at Courthouse This Week
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:56:43 PM »
Hey all, I just thought I'd mention I've got an interview scheduled for a summer internship with the Queens DA's office.  I've nothing but really good interactions with the staff and some of the current ADAs so I have some high hopes.  I'm rather pleased about being invited for an interview.  At an event where I spoke with one of their recruitment people the guy in front of me was a Cambridge grad and then when I sat down with the interviewer (he was taking people 3 at a time) by random chance I was sitting with two of my classmates. One was the newspaper editor for the school and the other an astounding poly-lingual (I'm a helpless mono-glot, just english).  I didn't get much of a chance to say anything, but I was really impressed by the ADA interviewer eloquence and passion for his job.  I left a few messages at the office (tried calling a few times, left a message every 3 days till I was called back and got the invite).  I also have a nice resume.  I'm hoping my displayed interest in the position and obvious passion for the profession will land me the spot.  Long as there are no direct inquiries on my grades... should be fine. 

An update on another topic, my stalker problem has been handed off to campus security, which is run by a retired police detective.  He has told me there is enough material for the police to make an arrest with very little work and that if its handed to them they will do that work and then prosecute.  He will be calling the guy into the office and hopefully scaring him off with that knowledge.  Security called me right after the DA's office call so I was in a real good mood, agreed to let him do that.  I've got faith in the intimidation factor of a no nonsense retired detective.  As I know and the security guy mentioned, filing a complaint is a crazy hassle.  Prosecution type jobs always require full disclosure of criminal involvement, even if only as a vic, and I quite frankly don't wanna have to talk about that during interviews.

For the interview I'm planning on taking the approach of expressing how impressed I've been with the people I've met and talked with, the office's reputation, and how I've had an active involved interest with the profession since HS.  I figure as long as I keep it upbeat, wholly honest, and sincere, I will come across more so charming than kiss-ass.  My mommy has criticized me for being a name-dropper, but really, what is an org but the people who comprise it?  I don't think anyone wants to hear me espouse my love of truth, justice, and freedom.  :shrug:

I think my biggest prob will be with coming up with a few good questions to ask... problem being everything I was curious about I've already researched to exhaustion. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Interview at Courthouse This Week
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »
Congrats and good luck!  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:43:51 AM »
Take a look at a book by someone called David Feige that recounts one day in his life in the public defender's office in Brooklyn.  It isn't pretty.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:38:19 PM »
Good luck!  It sounds like an interesting summer position.
For entertainment purposes only.