Author Topic: Audio MIXER for Acoustic Recording...  (Read 667 times)

pbhome71

Audio MIXER for Acoustic Recording...
« on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:03 PM »
I'm planning to make audio recording of strings instrument - violins, violas, cellos.  Basically chamber music.  This will be for fun. Smiley

I'm thinking of getting a mixer with with at least 4 MIC input, and 2 channel output (stereo). 

Do you have any recommendation?  Here's the list of things that I'm looking at at:
a) Microphone - Dynamic v.s. Condenser - From what I read, a condenser is more sensitive.  It costs more too.  Can I stick with Shure SM57?

b) Mixer.  I look at Mackie, Yamaha, Alesis, Behringer, Soundcraft.  Anything good under $200?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Audio MIXER for Acoustic Recording...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 11:43:58 PM »
Analog output? Wow. Going seriously old school?

Everyone I know uses a USB mixer with the editing software of their choice, (I use Garageband, CuBASE, and Reason), and records the instruments and then mixes them, or just cleans up an ensemble recording.

Don't know anything about the old way, sorry. Smiley

But for acoustic instruments, I would definitely go for a condenser mic. They have way more range and better response for picking up all the subtle nuances. You can also get small condenser mics that go right on the instrument itself, good for picking up a quieter instrument.

Also, some music stores will rent you expensive condenser mics for a session, so you don't have to buy them.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Audio MIXER for Acoustic Recording...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »
We used to make mikes for acoustic intruments by getting a replacement condeser mike for a portable recorders at radio Shack. They were tiny and cheap but had a big range like Maned is talking about. Required a 9v battery too. Sorry I'm not up on equipment anymore. I know TEAC was a big name and IIRC made a portable 4 track mixer / recorder at one time. A "portable recording studio". Of course, it recorded on tape. It used 1/4" tape for 4 tracks and did have bleed through problems but overall it was a good machine.

Oh yea, TEAC Audio is now TASCAM. Here's a link, hope it helps...

http://www.tascam.com/PersonalCreativity.html
Avoid cliches like the plague!