Author Topic: Town Hall Meetings - Rasmussen Poll  (Read 1746 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Town Hall Meetings - Rasmussen Poll
« on: September 06, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »
With the caveat that polls are statistics, and we all know how they can be manipulated, it really bothers me that over 1/3 of polled voters believe that Town Hall meetings are where you go to shut up and listen to your representative.

It seems pretty intuitive that a representative should be there to listen to his or her constituents' concerns. That only half of the polled voters felt this way is rather bothersome for a Representative Republic.

Rasmussen Poll
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Town Hall Meetings - Rasmussen Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
That only half of the polled voters felt this way is rather bothersome for a Representative Republic.

Yep. Our elected misrepresentatives represent lobbyists far more than us; we don't help by becoming a nation of sheeple.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »
I think it is arguable that part of the role of the Town Hall Meetings - in an honest and decent society - is for the Congressman to talk to the people, too.

Let me explain my thought process.

A lot of people don't really understand how politics work. Often most people don't understand how Congressional Comittees work and how a bill develops and is approved etc.

So, imagine Congressman Jones is expected by people in his district to pass a bill.

He comes homes and explains: "Look, guys, I know I promised, and I know that our party is in charge of Congress at the moment, but see, the bill needs to pass the Committee of Blue Widgets before it goes on to a vote, and Congressman Bob is in charge of that one, and he doesn't like my bill very much because he wants it to provide for issue Z."

And then the citizens are either satisfied with his explanation, or they are not.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
I would imagine his talking would be somewhat shortened when he saw the buckets of tar and bags of feathers being passed around...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
the rail has the effect of being a conversation stopper as well
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »
Wouldn't just calling it a "Town Hall" indicate it is at least in part for the purpose of hearing the townspeople voice their opinions?  Otherwise, they should just call it a speech. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »
Usually, town hall meetings and such are just theater. The decisions have already been made and the input of citizens goes into the circular file.

This time around it's different because of the level of anger.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:22:32 PM »
Usually, town hall meetings and such are just theater.

Yeah, but mediocre theater.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.