Author Topic: Give a man a fish.....  (Read 4727 times)

Shalako

Give a man a fish.....
« on: October 05, 2005, 08:49:24 AM »
Contemplations on Modern Society: Part II
(or perhaps Sink-or-Swim vs. the Entitlement Generation, anyways here goes...)

The old adage says, "Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

Ahhh, such wise words. But to bring this wisdom into modern times, one must address the third alternative:

What happens if you teach a man to fish, and he wont do it?

Do you go back to alternative 1 and keep giving him fish? Do you try alt 2 again and see if it sparks his ambition? Or do you let the guy starve to death? In our society toady, there is no more sink-or-swim. Everyone has Floaties on their arms and don't even have to kick their legs if they don't want. That's producing an entitlement society that thinks everything is owed to them. If they didn't have the floaties, they'd most likely learn to swim and achieve great things in their life. But instead, they barely muster the strength to stick their hand out for a donation, or they might summon the ambition to part their lips to be spoon fed. Now who would really care if one doesn't help themself, until the rest of us are called upon to not only swim and kick our own legs, but to tie-up one arm and leg to support a sloth who wont even kick their own. Why?

I think I'm beginning to understand why. Here is a link to the 1944 State of the Union Address by FDR.
http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrights/econrights/fdr-econbill.html
Apparently, everyone has a RIGHT to be taken care of, I guess. The Pres himself declared it.
BUT, if you have a right to a home/job/education/etc., what happens if you $!@#!* it all up?

What happens if you $!@#!* it all up?

Well, if you have a RIGHT to it, that means that you get unlimited do-overs at the taxpayers expense, enforced in law by the government.

What a deal.

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:55:38 AM »
So what are you saying? Let people die in the street because they cant afford medical care? Round up street urchins and shoot them? Let the rich who get richer live in their walled communities with their own police and schools while outside the 99 out of a hundred other people live in cardboard boxes? If that is what you want move to Brazil. The extreme right wants the U.S. to be Brazil North. There is a big lie that poor people are dragging this country down; the truth is it is the ultra-rich who are transforming America. If you doubt that look at your heating oil bill this winter, the price of food in the grocery store, and check out who is making EVERYTHING you buy in the stores (it is not Americans). Open your eyes.

Shalako

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:35:32 AM »
What I am saying is, "What happens if you teach a man to fish, and he wont do it?"

Contrast that with - I work my ass off for everything I have in life. I fried fricking chicken in an exxon gas station as one of my many meager jobs to put myself through college. Why can't others do the same?

If people don't act on the multitude of opportunities they encounter in life, why is that MY problem?

That's what I am saying. Sorry if that makes me seem like an elitest, but I truly work my butt off and don't have riches and wealth to show for it yet. But I love the American Dream that keeps me striving to get there someday. Some of the poor of this country could give a s*** about the American Dream. They just want it all for free.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 11:09:23 AM »
Teach a man to fish, and he'll waste his weekends floating around in a boat drinking beer.

"So what are you saying? Let people die in the street because they cant afford medical care? Round up street urchins and shoot them?"

Sounds like Utopia...

Of course, though, the Chinese and Indian demand for oil to support their explosively growning economies has absolutely nothing to do with the price of petroleum commodities in this country.

It's just the rich wanting to get rich.

Hum... getting chilly in here. I'd better toss another bundle of $50s on the fire.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Art Eatman

• friend
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:13:30 AM »
Shalako sez, "What I am saying is, "What happens if you teach a man to fish, and he wont do it?"

Contrast that with - I work my ass off for everything I have in life. I fried fricking chicken in an exxon gas station as one of my many meager jobs to put myself through college. Why can't others do the same?"

Hey, Merle Haggard already wrote that song:  "Working Man's Blues".  "There's folks who've never worked, and they've got plenty..."

Mike, how in the world can that be considered a waste?  There's seven times as much water area as land area on this old planet, so obviously a man oughta spend more time fishing than messing around in the dirt.  Well, unless it's huntin' season...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 11:14:40 AM »
Fishing and hunting are the two most god-awful boring activities in which I've ever participated.

The only thing that makes hunting even remotely palatable is that I get to take a gun along.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 11:19:37 AM »
I gotta agree with Mike on this. The ONLY fun I ever had fishing was trying to dump Dad out of the boat (never DID manage it. Didn't really try all that hard either)...

Art Eatman

• friend
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 11:38:04 AM »
Y'all been runnin' with the wrong crowd.

I guess I'm lucky.  I can enjoy worm-fishing for perch.  Bass fishing in a pond.  Working the blue-water line in the Gulf, never knowing what you'll see or catch.

I fell in with a bunch one time where the boat-owner was sending his captain out to catch some snapper.  About 35 miles out in the Gulf; 36' Bertram.  The snapper weren't biting, so I'd rigged for king mackeral.  I'd caught a couple, plus a little amberjack and a fairly large one of some 35 pounds.  I gave the "lucky rod" to another guy who'd been skunked.  He caught a little eight-pound kingfish, but as he got it close to the boat, a barracuda came from beneath the boat and bit the middle out of the kingfish.

Leave it in the water," cried a buddy.  The 'cuda came back and my buddy gaffed it.  When he lifted it up, the guy with the rod was trapped in the corner by the transom, staring at eight-inch jaws full of teeth.  "Shoot it!  Shoot it," came the next cry, and the boat captain got his pistol.

By this time I was up on the flying bridge, along with the other smart person.

Bangity, bangity, bang.  Dead 'cuda.  Pale fisherman.  Nice fish, though; six feet, 48 pounds.

We gave up on snapper and wound up trolling along behind a shrimp boat that was culling.  We caught some tuna, a blacktip shark, and a couple more kings.

And danged if I didn't wind up with all the meat to take home.  And the boat owner bought the 176 gallons of diesel we'd used...

How in the world can anybody think fishing is boring?

Cheesy, Art

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 12:44:16 PM »
If I could fish with dynamite, or hand grenades, maybe.

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 01:28:06 PM »
I work my ass off for everything I have in life.

And that gives you and your tight ass conservative good ole boys club the last word? It just makes you the crown prince jackasses of the universe.

Art Eatman

• friend
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 01:46:16 PM »
Aw, now, lifer, I grant that I'm just a good ole boy; I throw my empty beer cans in the back of my pickup.  I guess I'm a conservative on account of watching the world as it is, instead of wishing it would be some liberal version of Dreamland.  Wish in one hand, poop in the other, and see which one fills up first.  I just go by "What works is good; what doesn't work sucks."  My rather Classic Liberal view of this old world has been working for many decades, so I guess I'm just too old to change.  Locke and Hume are more appealing than Hobbes.  

Oh well.  lifer, you gotta do your own thing.  Just remember that my wrinkles come from grinning, so I must have been doing something right. Smiley

Yeah, Mike, Go-Bang is good.  So is Rotenone.  Or, a telephone generator. Cheesy  One day in the Philippines, I was with my mother, her date, and his buddy.  Driving around Manila Bay, I made some comment about going fishing.  I still remember the buddy's comment, "Aw, Hell, Frank, give the kid some dynamite and let'im go fishing."  There were lots of leftover hand grenades in the P.I., then, but the problem was that some of those eight-second fuses were maybe one-second fuses.  Oops!

Hmmm.  Reminds me of that old joke about the fisherman and the Game Warden...

Cheesy, Art

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 01:57:39 PM »
I guess I'm a conservative on account of watching the world as it is, instead of wishing it would be some liberal version of Dreamland.

Like I said, crown prince jackasses of the universe. Must be nice being the answer to all your dreams.

Shalako

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 02:09:04 PM »
Heck, I'll fish for anything. So far, I think bottom fishing for Lingcod in Nor Cal was the most exciting. Nothing like Art's sordid tale, but exciting none the less! Those things truly look like monsters and have teeth like canines with a mouth big enough to put your foot in. Yikes. You definitely want to thwap them on the head real good when you get them in the boat otherwise you might lose an appendage or two. Just started fly-fishing and that seems like a real hoot too.

About that other stuff, I'm not too bent out of shape that some of my taxes go to deadbeats. That's just part of the overall challenge. Try to make enough to get somewhere in life while still paying your dues. It was just idle social commentary that some folks don't see things the same way. Oh well. I'll keep working hard, and doing the best I can in my job, and just enjoy the heck out of my family and free time. Some other guy's riches or lack thereof don't make no nevermind to my personal goals.

Thanks Art for the fun tales!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 02:14:36 PM »
Lifer, I know plenty of people who are scamming the system, not working, and getting paid. It's sometimes tempting to turn them in, but I have more important things to do.

If someone can work but won't, screw him.

I worked 32 hours a week while going to a vocational school full time (which I paid for myself). I made $5.86 at the job, which was decent money for driving a delivery truck.

When I graduated, I got a job as a photographer's assistant...for $3.25 an hour.

However, due to my efforts, I was at $15,000 a year by the following year (1979), and by 1987 was making $45,000.

And there's a lot of young people I know today who are working long hours to get ahead.

I have a niece who's now a doctor. She went through all of her schooling on scholarships. She's also of the same political/social mindset that you seem to have.

One Easter Sunday, at the dinner table, as she was spouting off about the lack of fairness, I'd had enough.

"Angie," I said, "all through school you were getting a 4-point GPA, and there were other students who were just getting 2-point GPA's. Why couldn't you be fair, not have been so studious, so that the grading curve would have been lowered? You could still have gotten a 3-point GPA, and the other students would have risen to 3 points as well."

She got really testy. "I earned my grades," she said.

Touche'

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 02:18:21 PM »
Ok. What are you arguing about? Or are you just telling me that gives you and your tight ass conservative good ole boys club the last word? It just makes you the crown prince jackasses of the universe.

Art Eatman

• friend
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »
Aw, life has always been fun.  Looking back, I'm continually amazed at how much stuff just "sorta happened".  I'd run into someobdy and they'd have an idea and the next thing you know I'd have a better job, or a deal on a rebuildable sports car or go on a huntin' or fishin' trip.  Huntin' buddies, fishin' buddies, sporty-car racin' buddies.  Ran around with a bunch of folk-music people.  Moved back to the old family ranch to take care of the Old Folks, which meant I promptly built a bench rest in the back yard for a 100-yard range.  Expanded the workshop in the garage for "projects".  8-5 day job, 5-midnight for me. Smiley  Lotta scar tissue on my old hands, though.

All that peripheral BS of running a ranch and maintaining everyything around the house let me build my own house, myownself, back in '93.  With a bench rest on the front porch.  Pistol range in the back yard.  And now I'm done with having to hustle and strain and all that.  It's kick-back time! Smiley

But I have my old backhoe running good, and my roads are under control (play therapy, you understand) and quail season is just around the corner.  Then cometh Bambi-time.

I never have figured out why folks stay upset with the world...

Art

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 02:35:42 PM »
Yes, you have had it good Art. You never will understand why folks stay upset with the world.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »
"You never will understand why folks stay upset with the world."

It's called a persecution complex, the desire to blame everything and everyone else for your problems except the schlub looking back from the mirror.

"I work my ass off for everything I have in life."

If you can't even put your responses in the right thread, it's no wonder that you're angry at the word. rolleyes

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 02:59:48 PM »
Leave me alone Mike. Go pick on someone else. I am not angry at the word.

Paddy

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 03:01:17 PM »
hmmm..... alternately aggressive/victimization behavior.  Bipolar?

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 03:03:08 PM »
Shut up, you cross dressing troll!

Shalako

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 03:09:26 PM »
One time, at band camp.......

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 03:18:36 PM »
I love fishing.

Getting up before the sunrise, hearing the crows, bluejays, and loons across the water on a misty spring-fed lake.  Grabbing the fat nightcrawlers out of the coffee can and rinsing your hands in the lake water after baiting the hook.  
Watching that bobber disappear from sight as the tip of your fishing rod describes a tight arc.

Landing that fat bluegill, perch, or crappie, taking the hook out with most of the worm still intact, and putting him in the wire basket suspended in the water outside the boat.

Getting the fish home, scaling and filleting them, and frying the fillets with eggs and toast for breakfast.  

Think I need to go back home on vacation!  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Strings

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 03:51:55 PM »
Hmmm... lemmie see here...

lifer said "And that gives you and your tight ass conservative good ole boys club the last word? It just makes you the crown prince jackasses of the universe". A post or so later he says "And that gives you and your tight ass conservative good ole boys club the last word? It just makes you the crown prince jackasses of the universe.". And then again, in response to Dick, says "And that gives you and your tight ass conservative good ole boys club the last word? It just makes you the crown prince jackasses of the universe".

I see a pattern here... anybody else think he's got a macro setup?

lifer

Give a man a fish.....
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 04:01:12 PM »
Hmmm. Lemme see here. This place really does mirror real life. Say the wrong things and the rednecks turn on you like a pack of dogs. I wish nothing but bad luck to all of you. Except Barbara; she was the only civil person I met here. Bye