Author Topic: Anyone have a 2002 to 2005 Subaru Outback?  (Read 4725 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anyone have a 2002 to 2005 Subaru Outback?
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »
I'm thinking harder and harder about replacing 1997 Outback that I currently own. I absolutely love it, but it's 11 years old and starting to show its age.

I know there are Outback owners here, so I figured I'd get your insight.

I wouldn't mind holding on to the one I have for another year or more, but given how bad the economy is right now, I think the phrase "motivated seller" comes into play. =D

I took advantage of the rather sharp dip in car sales after 9-11 to buy the one I'm driving right now. I'm such an opportunistic bastard. :D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Anyone have a 2002 to 2005 Subaru Outback?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
I don't own an Outback but I am considering a Forester. I actually like the Forester over the Outback but I don't like the body style of the new Forester.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »
Nice response, but that helps me... how?  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »
Nice response, but that helps me... how?  :laugh:

...to look at Forester, might be more room for Mason.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
Believe it or not, it's actually less room due to the way the seats and cargo area are configured.

The Outback is a really good balance between dog carrying and cargo carrying. The Forrester is not.

And, I did drive a Forrester before I bought the Outback. I did not like the way it drove.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »
Believe it or not, it's actually less room due to the way the seats and cargo area are configured.

The Outback is a really good balance between dog carrying and cargo carrying. The Forrester is not.

And, I did drive a Forrester before I bought the Outback. I did not like the way it drove.

Thats good to know, I may have to look the Outback again them, I assumed the Forester had more interior room because it looked bigger. I'm looking at the same years that you are.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
The Outback has a traditional station wagon split to it with a fairly large cargo area and a decent back seat.

What I do is fold the back seat up, but leave the seat back in place. When I put down a bunch of padding, and some quilts, and voila, Mason has a nice area to ride in AND I have all of the cargo area in the back to carry my luggage, his food, etc.

The way I did it with Ruger and Nikky was similar, but I folded the seat backs down. Then I had a piece of plywood that I used to replace the seatbacks. That way was a bit more convenient when I had two of them, but with only Mason, and the fact that he is a LOT taller, I have to leave the seat backs folded down.

In the Forrester, the cargo area is very small in comparison to the Outback's. It's a family SUV, but because of how it's arranged, it's really not all that hot on the utility part of it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »
I thought Subarus lasted forever ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »
Can't help Mike but thats good to know.  I'm seriously considering a Subaru and it's likely to still be here when I move and get a dog...and I want a greater swiss mountain.  Things are HUGE
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »
Mike, in the earlier generation look at the '03 and '04. They actually made a number of improvements that weren't really advertised including fixing an issue they had with crappy head gaskets. The '05 is a completely different car. Something like 90% of the parts were new. There's a bit more room in the newer ones, as well as having a better ride and more ground clearance. They also changed from the generic wagon of Subaru past to something fairly sleek and attractive. If the price range is even close to what you're looking at I'd definitely recommend the '05 and up. Cheers,
Shawn

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »
We own an '06 Outback sedan. I think it is great.

I don't know what you want to know, so ask questions if you have any.

BTW, why '02 to '05?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
I bought a Forester about a month ago. The shifter still isn't as smooth as the shifter on my old Acura, especially going into first gear, but it's less rough than it was when new. The car is something of a slug, but handles reasonably well. I averaged between 25 and 28 miles per gallon in mountainous country, which isn't too bad. I haven't driven it in snow yet.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 01:39:14 AM »
"Why an 02 to 05?"

They're plentiful, they're relatively inexpensive, and they still should have a lot of good life left in them.

I always buy semi-middle age used cars.

What I'm really looking for are your overall impressions of the cars in that time frame.

My biggest gripe against my 1997 is the lack of small item storage and the 12-ounce can (and nothing else) sized drink holder that blocks the radio AND the climate controls.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 08:20:22 AM »
Neighbor has a 2002 Outback with about 110K on it; he plans to keep it a while yet. Only problem he's had was transmission-related, but I think it was corrected by a flush/adjust.

a greater swiss mountain.
A Bernese? They are effin' HUGE!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »
Mason is a Leonberger.

Leonbergers are, on average, larger than Bernese Mountain Dogs.

Mason is at the lower end of his size range, but he's still just over 100 pounds. He fits in my Subaru just fine.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
Bernese is closely related, both having roots in the Roman Mastiffs and members of the same family that comprises four breeds.

Bernese-

Greater Swiss-

And yes, they are huge.  GSMD is actually bigger then the Bernese  =D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
Just about every time I see an Outback, it has either a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker or a Obama.  I did not know anyone right of center owned one. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 01:52:28 PM »
I did not know anyone right of center owned one. =D

They don't.  Mike's a raging leftist.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »
They don't.  Mike's a raging leftist.

Chris

I need that Government backed health care after Abby gets done beating on me.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 03:08:07 PM »
Hmm. Never knew Mike was a lesbian school teacher. :)