Author Topic: I need to convert a shop-vac...  (Read 4715 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
I need to convert a shop-vac...
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
...from running on house power to running off a battery.

That is I need some sort of converter that will accept the plug that hooks up easily to a battery.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: I need to convert a shop-vac...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 05:05:44 PM »
Do you mean a car battery?  You need an inverter.  They are available at any auto parts or department store, up to 400 or 500 watts, for about $30-40.  I'm assuming that's enough for a shop vac, but you'll have to check.  There are more powerful ones, but they cost more of course.

Here's an example:  http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-400-Watt-Inverter-VEC1046BD/dp/B000EJS97S
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:00:44 PM by Declaration Day »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
Give it some Jack Chick tracts...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »
Check on the shop vac and see how many watts it needs, then buy an inverter that provides that much plus.  The inverter has a regular 3 prong plug receptacle.  You will need some deep cell batteries to provide power.  You can charge these up at home or rig them up to your car so that you charge them as you drive.  By the time you add up everything, you might be able to buy a used generator at a flea market or off craigslist, also try harbor freight.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:11:45 PM »
Warren, that will be a challenge. As DD said, you'll need a 12V DC-to-110V AC inverter. But here's the rub: Shop vacs are absolute power hogs. My full-size sears vac draws about 18-20 amps on startup and something like 12 amps running. So size your inverter according to your shop vac power draw, allowing 150% of the rated power (amps) for motor start. Hopefully this will ensure no damage to your new inverter (they aren't cheap). I'd use the smallest vac that will get the job done. Or a gas-powered leaf blower. =D

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »
Like LN said, large inverters are not cheap.  They are also notriously fragile.  Plus, something drawing that much juice will suck a car battery dead faster than you expect.  It might be cheaper long term, not to mention more convenient, to get a small portable generator.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

CNYCacher

• friend
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
Do you mean a car battery?  You need an inverter.  They are available at any auto parts or department store, up to 400 or 500 watts, for about $30-40.  I'm assuming that's enough for a shop vac, but you'll have to check.  There are more powerful ones, but they cost more of course.

Yeah, you'd better check, my shop vacs are 12+ amps.  A small one might work off an inverter, but FYI, AC electric motors are MORE sensitive to the nasty electricity produced by many inverters than computers and such which just turn it back into DC.

I'll echo that it's probably better to use a generator if you need a big vacuum, or a dedicated DC unit for a small one.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
Perhaps I should explain what I am looking to do...this might have made a good first post.

I need to suck up dirt and small rocks with a portable vac but I will not be near any power outlets.

I have plans in hand for a gas powered vac but would like something quieter and if I can avoid packing in gas that is a plus.

Since the vac itself need not be large capacity that means I can go really small with the canister but I do need something that is reliable and powerful enough to lift up to pea gravel and that I can get an hour or two of suckage before needing a recharge.

I've found some 12 volt car vacs that might do the job but I need a to be able to plug it into the power source, i.e. a battery of some sort. So, instead of a three-prong outlet I can go with something that accepts a car lighter plug.

So does the thing I am looking for exist?

Again,

Thank you.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 01:39:04 AM »
You're going to need more than batteries to run a shop vac.  12A @ 120V is 120A @ 12V.  Assuming perfect conversion, which ain't gonna happen, you'll need roughly two of my car, running, to deliver the amps.  

Nothing that will plug into the lighter will have much power.  Those circuits are built for 150-200W, which is about enough to run a good coffee maker.  One without a built-in grinder.  Pushing the amps you'll need to power a vacuum of that size will require wiring more like your starter and less like your iPod charger.

Silly question, but had you considered a broom?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:25:10 AM »
Considering the scope of your project, you'd probably be better off renting a vac truck...

http://www.vactruckrental.com/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 08:15:16 AM »
Perhaps I should explain what I am looking to do...this might have made a good first post.

I need to suck up dirt and small rocks with a portable vac but I will not be near any power outlets.

I have plans in hand for a gas powered vac but would like something quieter and if I can avoid packing in gas that is a plus.

Since the vac itself need not be large capacity that means I can go really small with the canister but I do need something that is reliable and powerful enough to lift up to pea gravel and that I can get an hour or two of suckage before needing a recharge.

I've found some 12 volt car vacs that might do the job but I need a to be able to plug it into the power source, i.e. a battery of some sort. So, instead of a three-prong outlet I can go with something that accepts a car lighter plug.

So does the thing I am looking for exist?

Again,

Thank you.

So what exactly are you wanting to do? Cleaning out remote cabins?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
Are you doing some sort of mining?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »
One note of interest is that many small power tools use universal motors that can run off of 120V AC or 120V DC. Typically this is handheld things like drills, circular saws, but I think most shop vacs use a similar motor. So if you happened to have 10 car batteries on hand, you could wire them in series and run your vacuum.

Otherwise I think you'll need a big inverter and a really big 12V battery if you want to run it for any ammount of time.

Or you could just use a broom.