Author Topic: Rats!  (Read 4737 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Rats!
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:56:23 AM »
Our little min-pin just killed one.    =D

Probably a juvenile, since it wasn't very big... but then again we don't get New York City-sized rats over here, either.  He was just as proud as he could be of himself.  Brought it right up to the back door, tail a-waggin'....  He was really sad when I made him drop it so I could throw it away...

I'm guessing it came out and was hiding under our shed because of the 4+ inches of rain we've gotten in the last couple of days....

Tomorrow's project is to get some chicken wire to wrap around the bottom of the shed to block it off from the dog, and some Tomcat poison blocks to toss under the shed.  Want to make sure that's the ONLY rat he kills.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Rats!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:32:08 AM »
Poison bait is a bad idea with pets around. Yes, it'll kill any rats, but where will they crawl to die? It won't always be in some hole somewhere, and just might be in the back yard where the dog can easily get it. Old fashioned victor traps with peanut butter are more work, but much better.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:48 AM »
What he said^^^
That and chicken wire will NOT stop a determined dog not even a little yapper like a Min Pin.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
Poison bait is a bad idea with pets around. Yes, it'll kill any rats, but where will they crawl to die? It won't always be in some hole somewhere, and just might be in the back yard where the dog can easily get it. Old fashioned victor traps with peanut butter are more work, but much better.

Bedlamite, that's a good point.  We usually monitor him pretty closely in the backyard.  But it's probably not worth the risk....

RKL, we didn't think so either, but he's been really good about not digging at the fences we have already.  But I may use some left over cedar fence boards instead to really enclose the underside of the shed.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
Old fashioned victor traps with peanut butter are more work, but much better.

I battle rats constantly in my backyard.  Eventually they learn to lick the peanut butter carefully off the trigger.  Spread it underneath the trigger instead of on top.  Works every time.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
Glue traps work nicely too. I have had good success with them before with field mice.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »
I battle rats constantly in my backyard.  Eventually they learn to lick the peanut butter carefully off the trigger.  Spread it underneath the trigger instead of on top.  Works every time.

That's a good idea. Also, if using the Better Rodent/Mouse Trapâ„¢, instead of putting the peanut butter the trigger, put it on the underside of the upper jaw.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
Snap traps and glue traps. If you should trap anything on the glue traps that you want to release, vegetable oil will take care of the glue.

Watch out though. The big *expletive deleted*ers can drag even the big traps off if it doesn't kill them. And if you are planning to vacate the structure for more than a day, disarm the traps for you do not want to come back to a dead rat 2 or 3 days later. Also, they don't like Church's Chicken.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
Watch out though. The big *expletive deleted* can drag even the big traps off if it doesn't kill them.

Yep.  One morning I found one of my snap traps from the backyard at the base of my front steps.  A rat had dragged it all that way with two legs before dying.  That's easily a half mile in "rat scale".  I didn't feel bad for him one bit.  I HATE those foul critters.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:46:55 PM »
Snap traps and glue traps. If you should trap anything on the glue traps that you want to release, vegetable oil will take care of the glue.

Watch out though. The big *expletive deleted* can drag even the big traps off if it doesn't kill them. And if you are planning to vacate the structure for more than a day, disarm the traps for you do not want to come back to a dead rat 2 or 3 days later. Also, they don't like Church's Chicken.

I screw the rat traps to 2"x6" boards so they can't take the trap with them. And if I put out poison it goes in old tuna cans hooked to 2x's also.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 08:57:17 PM »
I still say poison is the best solution. I've poisoned rats and mice for years and pets haven't had issues being collateral damage.

For every rat you catch in a trap there's 50 that didn't get caught.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »
You sure that dog isn't part cat?

We had three "barn cats" and never had a problem with rodents.

It's funny how they (and your dog) would bring them back to the house to show off.  Like we were taxidermists or something and they expected us to mount them for them and hang them on the wall.

Sometimes we'd find most of the rodent eaten except for their stomachs.  Never figured that out, just took their "retrievals/trophies/remains" as blessings that we didn't have to pay any attention to a rodent problem.

I read somewhere that the several phases of the "Black Plague" in Europe coincided with an upsurge in cat-hating.  Or something like that.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:20:23 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 02:43:23 PM »
I had someone tell me to hang the traps from a string to just over the ground where the rats/mice have to grab the trap/trigger to get the peanut butter off.  I guess that would keep them from dragging it off also.  I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.  In the past, poison worked for me.  I put it in the attic.  The only negative was a rat died in the wall somewhere and I could smell it just a little bit in a one or two points in the house.  It went away after a day or so.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
Glue traps work nicely too. I have had good success with them before with field mice.

The only thing I ever caught with glue traps was lizards, and I like the 'zards!

No more glue traps for me.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
I have a nice high power .22 air rifle that would be perfect for your purpose.  Set out some bait and pretend you're a sniper.  A friend and I did that at his mother's house to protect her garden from rodents of all types.  Good sport on a summer evening.

As for me, spring traps and peanut butter keep the mice out of my garage.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
Good old spring traps are the best bet IMO.

Glue traps I'm not fond of. Just don't sit well with me, and I want them dead anyhow.

As for poison, I'm not a fan. To much risk of pets or children (yours or others) getting into it. Also, after having lived in a house where a poisoned rat made it back into a wall before dieing....well I have no desire to experience that unpleasantness again.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
I lost one of these nice Tomcat Rat Traps,
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3132844&cp=2568443.2568444.2598676.2602605.1305668

when a hawk or falcon fly down and grabbed the back half of the ground squirrel that was still wiggling while on my back porch. 

Never did find the trap...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:42 PM »
I lost one of these nice Tomcat Rat Traps,
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3132844&cp=2568443.2568444.2598676.2602605.1305668

when a hawk or falcon fly down and grabbed the back half of the ground squirrel that was still wiggling while on my back porch. 

Never did find the trap...

That's why you need to keep the 12 gauge ready at all times.  =D                       [ar15]

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »
I do this for a living (great job, btw) and while i agree that snap traps are the best, peanut butter can be licked off the trigger, as noted.  Most traps have a small anvil to hold bait in place.  Rats love dried fruit, raisins, cranberries, etc.  Put one under the anvil and bend it down to secure the fruit.  Bacon works too, i'm told, but I've never had any left over...

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
That's why you need to keep the 12 gauge ready at all times.  =D                       [ar15]

jim

I was coming back through the kitchen with the air rifle to finish off Mr.13 Lines.  When all of a sudden, WHOOSH !!! and it's gone.   :O :O :O
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.