Author Topic: The Quit and the Dead: Careful of the Incentives You Create  (Read 4765 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Quit and the Dead: Careful of the Incentives You Create
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:37 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/293451/quit-and-dead-mark-steyn

Pamela Geller was struck by that ad The New York Times ran the other day, “It’s Time To Quit The Catholic Church“, an “open letter to ‘liberal’ and ‘nominal’ Catholics”. So she sent in her own ad, “It’s Time To Quit Islam“, an “open letter to ‘moderate’ Muslims”. Analogous artwork, same pitch, only difference being the intended target. The Times’ Senior Vice-President for Corporate Hogwash called to tell Miss Geller that – surprise! surprise! – they were way less eager to rush this one into print:

Quote from: PG
Bob Christie, Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications for the New York Times, just called me to advise me that they would be accepting my ad, but considering the situation on the ground in Afghanistan, now would not be a good time, as they did not want to enflame an already hot situation. They will be reconsidering it for publication in “a few months.”

So I said to Mr. Christie, “Isn’t this the very point of the ad? If you feared the Catholics were going to attack the New York Times building, would you have run that ad?”

Thus the courage of the secular left: If you’re going to be “provocative”, it’s best to do it with people who can’t be provoked. Pamela is right. If you want to be treated with respect by The New York Times and the rest of the multiculti establishment, make it clear you’re willing to kill them. That’s an interesting message to send.

Incentives, incentives.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Quit and the Dead: Careful of the Incentives You Create
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:52:04 PM »
Sounds like Pam didn't read the reply very carefully.

The NYT was claiming that they wouldn't run the ad for fear of stirring up violence against our people in Afghanistan. Not that I believe them, of course, but that's what they were getting at.

The truth, most likely, is that the NYT is willing to believe that Catholicism is something best left for bigots and know-nothings. Islam, though, is exotic, neat-o, and still a viable option for celebrities struggling to seem less vapid.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:55:57 PM »
It seems to me Pam read the reply she really, really, really wanted to read.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »
Sounds like Pam didn't read the reply very carefully.

Really?

Korans being used by terrorists to pass messages are accidentally burned and all Hades breaks loose. Violence, riots, and murders result. Afghan leaders demand - and receive! - multiple groveling apologies from US officials, including POTUS.

Video and pictures of a cross burning come out of Afghanistan . . . but do Christians begin rioting and murdering people? Nope. Do US "leaders" demand - much less receive - an apology from Afghan officials? Nope.

I'm also reminded of the reaction to the Jyllands Posten publication of unflattering cartoons depicting Mohammed - it went somewhat beyond writing an irate letter to the editor, eh?

I think Pam largely got the right of it in interpreting the reply.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »

No, she ignored the phony reply. When has the New York Times (in the past decade) ever considered the threat to U.S. soldiers before they published anything?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »
OK, Hank, but look at what Christie said and how Geller "interpreted" it.

Bob Christie, Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications for the New York Times, just called me to advise me that they would be accepting my ad, but considering the situation on the ground in Afghanistan, now would not be a good time, as they did not want to enflame an already hot situation. They will be reconsidering it for publication in “a few months.”

So I said to Mr. Christie, “Isn’t this the very point of the ad? If you feared the Catholics were going to attack the New York Times building, would you have run that ad?”

Christie's excuse is the situation in Afghanistan. Geller's talking about people attacking a building in Manhattan.

Honestly, I don't think the NY Times cares about protecting Americans in Afghanistan, but that is the excuse they're using. I don't think they expect Catholics or Muslims to commit violence against them in NY, either. More likely, they're afraid of being accused of racism, bigotry, etc.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
. . .  I don't think they expect Catholics or Muslims to commit violence against them in NY, either.

Fistful, you're half right - NYT doesn't expect Catholics to commit violence against them in NY.

More likely, they're afraid of being accused of racism, bigotry, etc. 

A consideration that apparently wasn't even on their radar when they ran the "It’s Time To Quit The Catholic Church" ad . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
More proof that the NYT is not a credible source of information, nor is it a cheap enough newspaper to use for wrapping fish entrails before disposal.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
I'd pay money to see rioting Catholics burn the NYT building to the ground.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »

how much?  and how many catholics are required to qualify as a riot?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »

how much?  and how many catholics are required to qualify as a riot?

At least this many:
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »

I'm also reminded of the reaction to the Jyllands Posten publication of unflattering cartoons depicting Mohammed - it went somewhat beyond writing an irate letter to the editor, eh?

Just how many J-P journalists have gotten themselves killed over it?

Oh wait, none. The only people to die over it were the radical Muslims themselves, rioting over in Pakistan and shot by other Muslims.

Oh the 100,000-people who participated in Draw Muhammad Day - despite the fact Anwar al-Awlaki himself called for the initiators to be killed - just how many were killed?

Oh wait. None.  In fact, it is al-Awlaki who is himself very much dead.

There was also the individual who tried to kill some Swedish reporters after they drew a doodle-some image of the prophet. He burned down in their newspaper lobby, like a Roman candle, having botched his suicide bomber plan.

They are like emo Twilight fans - we mock their leader, and they start killing themselves.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »
I'm sorry, but I don't agree that incompetence obviates responsibility for intention. We're fortunate they're often inept, but it hasn't always been so.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Also, if they manage to get their hands on you, they tend to git er dun.  Ask Daniel Pearl or Nick Berg 'bout that.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
More likely, they're afraid of being accused of racism, bigotry, etc.

A consideration that apparently wasn't even on their radar when they ran the "It’s Time To Quit The Catholic Church" ad . . .

Agreed.

I admit it, it would be hard not to laugh.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
Also, if they manage to get their hands on you, they tend to git er dun.  Ask Daniel Pearl or Nick Berg 'bout that.

That is a fairly big IF.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
I seem to recall the NY Times being willing to put troops in harms way, a few yrs back - during the Bush admin they faced a lot of criticism for it.

Anyone remember that?

I had it bookmarked on my now fried old computer.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
I seem to recall the NY Times being willing to put troops in harms way, a few yrs back - during the Bush admin they faced a lot of criticism for it.

Anyone remember that?

I had it bookmarked on my now fried old computer.

Are you thinking of Newsweek's allegation that a Koran was flushed?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1064416,00.html

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 10:15:12 PM »
I'm sorry, but I don't agree that incompetence obviates responsibility for intention. We're fortunate they're often inept, but it hasn't always been so.

It doesn't, but it does make them far less scary.