Author Topic: gondi gonna make you like teh LOL kittahs  (Read 4722 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
gondi gonna make you like teh LOL kittahs
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/03/how-your-cat-is-making-you-crazy/8873/

It's part of an alien mind control schema!

But if Flegr is right, the “latent” parasite may be quietly tweaking the connections between our neurons, changing our response to frightening situations, our trust in others, how outgoing we are, and even our preference for certain scents. And that’s not all. He also believes that the organism contributes to car crashes, suicides, and mental disorders such as schizophrenia. When you add up all the different ways it can harm us, says Flegr, “Toxoplasma might even kill as many people as malaria, or at least a million people a year.”

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: gondi gonna make you like teh LOL kittahs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
I got pointed to this a while ago.  I read it as "subtle changes, mostly within the normal range".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
just like the PAX
G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
That explains the large number of stray cats on Miranda, Harold.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
and on the reaver ships

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
I thought you had to be crazy in order to want a cat in the first place.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
We have three cats. Now I have one more reason I'd like to see them die.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
Kill the kitties! Hmm, I have a shy suspicious dog. I'm sure that daily diet of thrown out litter box is helping him along.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »
watch the show "hoarders"

count teh kittahs

gondi makes you build rat havens

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »
We have three cats. Now I have one more reason I'd like to see them die.
:mad:

You're mean. >:D

:angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »
Religions kill their hosts so that they can spread? Is that what the jihadis are up to? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:50 AM »
sheep go to heaven
goats go to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mx5ERj1eI

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
The subjects who tested positive for the parasite had significantly delayed reaction times. Flegr was especially surprised to learn, though, that the protozoan appeared to cause many sex-specific changes in personality. Compared with uninfected men, males who had the parasite were more introverted, suspicious, oblivious to other people’s opinions of them, and inclined to disregard rules. Infected women, on the other hand, presented in exactly the opposite way: they were more outgoing, trusting, image-conscious, and rule-abiding than uninfected women.

The findings were so bizarre that Flegr initially assumed his data must be flawed. So he tested other groups—civilian and military populations. Again, the same results. Then, in search of more corroborating evidence, he brought subjects in for further observation and a battery of tests, in which they were rated by someone ignorant of their infection status. To assess whether participants valued the opinions of others, the rater judged how well dressed they appeared to be. As a measure of gregariousness, participants were asked about the number of friends they’d interacted with over the past two weeks. To test whether they were prone to being suspicious, they were asked, among other things, to drink an unidentified liquid.

The results meshed well with the questionnaire findings. Compared with uninfected people of the same sex, infected men were more likely to wear rumpled old clothes; infected women tended to be more meticulously attired, many showing up for the study in expensive, designer-brand clothing. Infected men tended to have fewer friends, while infected women tended to have more. And when it came to downing the mystery fluid, reports Flegr, “the infected males were much more hesitant than uninfected men. They wanted to know why they had to do it. Would it harm them?” In contrast, the infected women were the most trusting of all subjects. “They just did what they were told,” he says.

Why men and women reacted so differently to the parasite still mystified him. After consulting the psychological literature, he started to suspect that heightened anxiety might be the common denominator underlying their responses. When under emotional strain, he read, women seek solace through social bonding and nurturing. In the lingo of psychologists, they’re inclined to “tend and befriend.” Anxious men, on the other hand, typically respond by withdrawing and becoming hostile or antisocial. Perhaps he was looking at flip sides of the same coin.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure that my being introverted and suspicious derives more from contact with people than contact with cats.

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure that my being introverted and suspicious derives more from contact with people than contact with cats.

;)  Yeah.  People can be a amazingly powerful influence................... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »

Word.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 03:47:35 PM »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
But if Flegr is right, the “latent” parasite may be quietly tweaking the connections between our neurons, changing our response to frightening situations,

That's just toxopolasmosis.  There's plenty of other common parasites.  What does pinworm do?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:31:06 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

It sounds to me like it might only affect a percentage of the people it infects anyway.  Perhaps severely affecting a much smaller group. 

IMO, the interesting part of this is the apparently new lines or research into the effects of microbes on our thinking.  What other microbes are capable of this.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
toxopolasmosis rosiodonalis

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
Infected women, on the other hand, presented in exactly the opposite way: they were more outgoing, trusting, image-conscious, and rule-abiding than uninfected women.

Nope, I'm not infected.  =)
I also wash my hands, cook my meat, and try very, very hard not to ingest cat feces.  ;)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.