Author Topic: Anyone still making Paradox choke tubes?  (Read 4723 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Anyone still making Paradox choke tubes?
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
I remember reading about these as a kid, believe they also had several other names. Basically a shotgun choke tube but instead of just constricitng the shot it actually had a couple inches of rifling. Supposed to provide a marked increase in slug accuracy while not totally destroying shot patterns. I mostly use slugs in my home defense shotgun, so if these are available it might be worthwhile having them welded or threaded onto the barrels.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Anyone still making Paradox choke tubes?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »
I don't know about a paradox brand, but rifled choke tubes are pretty common.  Never used one myself.

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-style-details.php?rifled-choke-tubes&cts=25

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
I got a rifled choke tube with a 20" barrel I bought for my 870. Never used it, though, so I can't say if it works well or not.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:40:14 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
What is your furthest range you thing you will be shooting slugs?

Also a rifled barrel or choke tube really doesn't make sense for Foster slugs, they are designed for sabot slugs.

Foster slugs are going to lead the hell out of a rifled choke tube.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:06:44 AM »
I mostly use slugs in my home defense shotgun, so if these are available it might be worthwhile having them welded or threaded onto the barrels.

Why do you feel the need for enhanced accuracy at home defense ranges?  Am I reading that wrong?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
What is your furthest range you thing you will be shooting slugs?

Also a rifled barrel or choke tube really doesn't make sense for Foster slugs, they are designed for sabot slugs.

Foster slugs are going to lead the hell out of a rifled choke tube.

Currently I feel limited to across the room. If it was more accurate I could see using it for hunting out to 100ish yards or so.

And that's interesting, as I'm sure the original design was used with normal lead slugs.

Why do you feel the need for enhanced accuracy at home defense ranges?  Am I reading that wrong?

More accuracy is always better, isn't it? I don't have a good home defense rifle at the moment, but I miss having that level of precision available. Never know when a home invader might grab my kid or wife to uise as a shield for example. Be nice to be able to confidently make headshots in that situation.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.