Author Topic: Princeton Hosts "Fat Postitive" Dinner  (Read 958 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Princeton Hosts "Fat Postitive" Dinner
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
Princeton is hosting a special dinner for students who "identify" as fat. So of course my question is, can a skinny person show up and identify as fat?  =D

https://twitchy.com/bethb-313034/2018/02/05/drop-the-pizza-princeton-has-a-fat-positive-dinner-for-those-fat-identified-students/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Princeton Hosts "Fat Postitive" Dinner
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »
Someone needs to demand equal time -- a dinner for fatties who identify as thin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:01:12 PM »
The alternative is for a fat guy to show up in a t-shirt that says "I beat anorexia", play it straight, and watch heads explode.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »
The alternative is for a fat guy to show up in a t-shirt that says "I beat anorexia", play it straight, and watch heads explode.

:laugh:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 01:54:42 AM »
I'd demand a low-carb, low-protein dish.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:22:10 AM »
I'd demand a low-carb, low-protein dish.

Vegan for the win.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
The modern movement to glorify physical and mental illnesses is absolutely repulsive.

Sports Illustrated just had a 200 pound swimsuit "model" featured.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »
Will I be the keynote speaker ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »
The modern movement to glorify physical and mental illnesses is absolutely repulsive.

Sports Illustrated just had a 200 pound swimsuit "model" featured.

There needs to be a happy medium between society not encouraging self destructive behaviors and also not demanding unrealistic levels of conformity.  The Princeton dinner in the OP is very likely not at that medium, and is encouraging self destructive behavior based on the language used. 

FWIW Ashley Graham is an attractive woman whom, by all reports, is healthy and successful.  She's also a woman that gets paid (by more than just SI) to have pictures taken of her, so the scare quotes aren't really needed.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »
There needs to be a happy medium between society not encouraging self destructive behaviors and also not demanding unrealistic levels of conformity.  The Princeton dinner in the OP is very likely not at that medium, and is encouraging self destructive behavior based on the language used.  

FWIW Ashley Graham is an attractive woman whom, by all reports, is healthy and successful.  She's also a woman that gets paid (by more than just SI) to have pictures taken of her, so the scare quotes aren't really needed.

It wasn't Ashley Graham.  Graham is 170 lbs, and yes she is attractive, not overweight for her height.

It is someone else who is, yes, 200 lbs.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
Mrs. Graham is who popped up when I googled Sports Illustrated model 200 lbs.

There's a limit to the searches in that vein I am willing to do on my work computer.   =D

There are definitely elements that are actively encouraging fat folks to engage in patently unhealthy behavior. I suspect strongly that the Princeton crowd are among them, I was just a little surprised when My google search revealed an attractive woman.  I'll dig deeper into the internet when I get home to unmonitored internet.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
It wasn't Ashley Graham.  Graham is 170 lbs, and yes she is attractive, not overweight for her height.

According to the errornet, Ms. Graham is 5'9" tall and weighs anywhere between 165 and 201 pounds. (Most sources I found said 201). She is definitely plus-sized.

http://celebrityinside.com/body-measurements/model/ashley-graham-body-measurements-bra-size-height-weight-stats/

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »
Will I be the keynote speaker ??

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:41:55 PM »

Hunter McGradey, the model that is over 200lbs, is 5' 11". I'm not going to be the one to call her unattractive.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 08:15:34 PM »
Hunter McGradey, the model that is over 200lbs, is 5' 11". I'm not going to be the one to call her unattractive.

So now we can't use "plus-sized" to describe plus-sized women. She wants us to use "curvy." Further evidence of the decline of the English language.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »
So now we can't use "plus-sized" to describe plus-sized women. She wants us to use "curvy." Further evidence of the decline of the English language.

I wouldn't call it a decline. Plus-sized could have been a great term, had it actually been grounded in reality. It wasn't.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
*snort* "Plus size" in terms of fashion and models is pretty much anything over a size 6. That's where the "decline of the English language" comes in.

Most woman are not a size 6. Think 8 to 16 being normal.

At 200 (yes, I'm a chunky monkey) I'm about a 16, depending on brand. The lightest I've ever been able to get was 186 and I was a 14.
It's called I have an ass, boobs and thighs. Furthermore, I challenge the lot of you to say I was unattractively fat at the time.

The whole term "plus sized" is screwed up because it started off in reference to sizes that were actually *expletive deleted*ing normal and well within healthy range for most woman.

and now aholes, like someone posting in this thread, seem to think that bashing normal sized woman as being fat because they don't actually have any clue how any of this works and seem to be under the delusion that a size 4 should be the norm (and, I can tell you right now, on my frame, if I was a size 4, I would be emaciated with no muscle, much less a healthy amount of fat)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »
Well, I posted the article because of my pet peeve of people "identifying" as something they may or may not be, in the vein of, "I say 2+2=5, so you must accept that". I wasn't going for what people actually were, and whether that's acceptable or not, so  I guess I'll lock the thread before things devolve.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."