Author Topic: Cruise Ship repels pirate attack  (Read 6600 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Cruise Ship repels pirate attack
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:10:09 AM »
NAIROBI — An Italian cruise ship used guns and a firehose to beat off an attack by pirates off the east African coast, the vessel's captain said Sunday.

Pirates also freed a Yemeni-owned tanker, the Sea Princess II, Sunday, a Kenyan maritime official that monitors growing piracy off Somalia told Reuters.

Commander Ciro Pinto of the MSC Melody, which has a capacity of 1,500 passengers and crew, said his ship was slightly damaged by firing from the pirates.

The ship came under attack when it was 200 miles north of the Seychelles and 600 miles off the Somali coast. "They started firing like crazy at the ship," he told Italian television Skytg24.

Pinto said pistols were handed out to security staff and they opened fire on the pirates when they tried to clamber up the sides of the ship.

Read more here:  http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20080926/INTERNATIONAL-US-SOMALIA-PIRACY/

Don't wanna violate copyright issues, hence the teaser and link...

That being said, here's a bit that I found particularly interesting (ok, it made me sick, but made me chuckle at the same time)...

Although the ship's action may have saved the Melody from capture, the Kenyan maritime official said it only endangered the lives of passengers.

"Having weapons on a passenger or merchant ship is dangerous. They should have used other means to shake off the pirates, like a loud acoustic device," said Andrew Mwangura of the Mombasa-based East African Sea Farers Assistance Program.

Well, Mr. Mwangura, it looks like the only people it was dangerous for was the pirates!  And that having the pistols on board kept the pirates from seizing a ship with potentially 1500 hostages!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Cruise Ship repels pirate attack
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
They should have used other means to shake off the pirates, like a loud acoustic device...

Well, yeah. I carry a loud accoustic device on my right hip whenever I leave the house. I'll tell you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth: it definitely generates decibels.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
This stuff is getting a bit out of control.  I am very surprised there isn't more action being taken by other countries.  Everyone seems to be just happy to pay ransoms.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:04:12 AM »
just another business transaction.  i wonder what the fee is for travelling through panama?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

agricola

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »
This stuff is getting a bit out of control.  I am very surprised there isn't more action being taken by other countries.  Everyone seems to be just happy to pay ransoms.

The mad bit is that countries are not arming vessels, or putting troops on shipping in the area - and indeed in this case are criticizing the people who do take those precautions. 

I could understand the reason why they wouldnt do this if the pirates were using MTBs or some such where there was a clear disparity of force, but to have a piracy problem like this that features homemade boats, clowns with AKs and RPG and millions and millions of pounds worth of ransoms being paid monthly it is, actually, fairly hard to understand. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
I note - with a bit of misplaced national pride - the security personnel were apparently Israelis.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 12:25:47 PM »
Since comparatively few people die in hijack attempts, PTB (Powers to Be) decided to absorb the cost as an additional cost of doing business.  Kinda like a fuel surcharge.  The pirate's taking costs are sufficiently low as to not worry insurance companies.  Transportation companies aren't suffering with a decline in business and their deductible payments don't affect their operating results.  See, a nice, logical business decision.

Any number of countries could easily end the problem in a few short days.  I suspect one reason it is allowed to fester is to create a problem which can be solved only by all countries adopting the Law of the Sea Treaty.  Time will tell if piracy becomes an excuse to ratify the treaty in the US.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
Where's Jefferson when you need him?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »
Since comparatively few people die in hijack attempts, PTB (Powers to Be) decided to absorb the cost as an additional cost of doing business. 

This is exactly the same thinking that led to the 9/11 hijackings being successful. You'd think eventually people would learn.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »
I note - with a bit of misplaced national pride - the security personnel were apparently Israelis.

Because they're the best!  =D

This is exactly the same thinking that led to the 9/11 hijackings being successful. You'd think eventually people would learn.

Bingo!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11:14 PM »
I think we just need to start baiting them. Take a us flagged cargo ship, load it with marines and pass close to the coast.
Open up on them when they get within range, kill them all sink there boats so word doesn't get back to shore.

Whats that old marine saying.

When it absolutely positively must be destroyed over night call the marines.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
^^^^ Just like the Q-ships of WW II. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 06:31:36 PM »
Since comparatively few people die in hijack attempts, and the PTB (powers-that-be) are normally flying in private aircraft and protected by armed security, so they're never personally affected, PTB decided to absorb the cost as an additional cost of doing business. 
Fixed it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »
>You'd think eventually people would learn.<

You don't know many people, do you?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »
Any number of countries could easily end the problem in a few short days.  I suspect one reason it is allowed to fester is to create a problem which can be solved only by all countries adopting the Law of the Sea Treaty.  Time will tell if piracy becomes an excuse to ratify the treaty in the US.

There are existing, long-standing treaties that authorize force against piracy by sovereign states.  The Law of the Sea treaty is irrelevent.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »

In the article I read, the cruise line released a statement saying that they hired Israeli, because they had the best private security officers available. This kind of ties into your earlier comments regarding Israeli privatization...I could see a Blackwater style private security firm hiring guys right out of the IDF being lucrative. I hope they can do better than arming them with pistols though.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 12:31:49 AM »
I don't think it's all that misplaced. What this made me think of is Switzerland - small country with good soldiers for hire.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
I'm thinking that most of the "pirate vessels" could be run off by one guy with a SAW...

Maybe two.

So, figure three shifts.

Which five of you want to start APS Maritime Security LLC? We'll get Tejster to do the paperwork... And a sizable small-business loan to buy the hardware.

Hmmm... Do I HAVE to use FMJ? Or can I mix FMG/Tracer/varmint?

Blog under construction

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 01:31:52 AM »
Guns?

I thought we were told that all sorts of countries ban any ship with guns on it to dock?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »
Just a small carrier with air patrols around the area could probably locate and destroy many of the pirate boats. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »
Can you imagine the hostage nightmare of a pirated cruise ship?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 11:11:50 AM »
Guns?

I thought we were told that all sorts of countries ban any ship with guns on it to dock?

Which is the truth.   However, the country the boat is flagged in may have reached an agreement with some port countries, or might just be saying to hell with it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 11:27:19 AM »
There must be some way to arm a ship and get around bringing the arms in to port. . . drop a cache in the sea to pick up on your way out, or some type of inter-ship arms exchange between incoming and outgoing vessels maybe?

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
There must be some way to arm a ship and get around bringing the arms in to port. . . drop a cache in the sea to pick up on your way out, or some type of inter-ship arms exchange between incoming and outgoing vessels maybe?

Sounds like a lot of hassle.  In the end, good tactics with non-lethal tools might work just as well and not carry with it the issues of regular weapons.

Chris

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
Guns?

Is it possible to tell those countries, "If we can't arm ourselves to protect our people and goods, we simply won't do business with you"?  ???
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).