Author Topic: Cruise Ship repels pirate attack  (Read 6601 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Cruise Ship repels pirate attack
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Of course it's possible. It's just not likely to pass the cost/benefit analysis.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »
Of course it's possible. It's just not likely to pass the cost/benefit analysis.

Is that a fancy way of saying, "Profits before people"? ;)

Ah well. I guess I won't be going on a cruise in those waters any time ever.  :mad:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »
Is it possible to tell those countries, "If we can't arm ourselves to protect our people and goods, we simply won't do business with you"?  ???

That's what I proposed.

However, their reaction is likely 'fine, we'll get somebody else', and somebody else would do it, despite the risks.  It would take either a focused boycott, or piracy getting so bad for the freighters that significant additional expenses are incurred.  Governments tend to be indifferent to those expenses - it's not actually their cargo, after all, 'just' that of their citizens.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »
Ummmm... maybe this is a silly idea, but what about some form of "security service" that acts as a true "sea nation" (they don't put ashore, except at friendly ports)?

Ship leaves the US with security detail aboard. if they need to make landfall at a port that doesn't allow weapons, they transfer the detail over to a "security ship" (maybe an LPD?) for the duration of that stop. Security details can even rotate from the troop carrier to the protectee...

Probably a silly idea...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
APS Corp. = Armed Polite Shipping Corp.  We are the shipping corp. and provide our own shipboard security.
Clean up at both ends of the deal.   Fun, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 09:39:01 PM »
An Italian cruise ship used guns and a firehose to beat off an attack by pirates off the east African coast, the vessel's captain said Sunday.

Well imagine that. Meeting force with force and winning. :rolleyes:

WTF took so long to figure it out?  :mad:
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
Sounds like a lot of hassle.  In the end, good tactics with non-lethal tools might work just as well and not carry with it the issues of regular weapons.

Uh...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518142,00.html

If Unca Sugah says I am best served by something that is crew-served... and belt-fed... who am I to argue?

Hey, four belt fed machineguns could take care of situations for most oceangoing vehicles, considering the arms that the pirates are fielding... Radar, some optics, and put the videos on youtube...

Blog under construction