Author Topic: Okay electronical-type persons, TV repair question  (Read 6584 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Okay electronical-type persons, TV repair question
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »
My TV is on the fritz.  Panasonic 27" tube-type.  2004 vintage.

Sound?  Check.

Ability to switch between inputs (based on my ability to do it by feel and knowing what the menu system is)? Check.

Picture? Fail.

By Fail I mean nothing.  Nada.  Zero.  Zip.  Zilch.  Not even the little dot in the center that tells you the tube is firing but the beam steering circuit is kaput.  I can feel static at the front of the screen so I'm presumming the degaussing coil and steering circuit is operating, but the electron emitter has gone to the Big Circuit In The Sky. 

I'm presuming the tube will probably be at least $150-200, plus a minimum of $75 labor.  That's $225-$275 to repair (minimum) and I can buy a cheapo Sanyo 32" from Wally World for $349.  I know what the answer is probably going to be but wanted to check with you really knowledgeable types before I donated the old set to Mr. Dempster.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Okay electronical-type persons, TV repair question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
You should green dispose of that toxic trash.

Why do you hate our future generations?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

sanman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »
I'd spring for a new set, but that's me. Haven't troubleshot a TV in years. Seems all I found when I did with the newer stuff was cold/bad solder joints, bad connections, etc. This is one of my pet peeves, wish we could still repair them and not spend the cost of a new set. Such a waste.

Many fond memories of spending the day back and forth to the electronics/radio/tv repair and parts shop testing tubes with my dad. That's where I first started getting into electronics. Pops worked on and helped design sonar and submarine weapons systems. Almost 80 now and still way over my head on that stuff.

Enjoy the new set if that's what you do.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
Already had it apart and checked for cold solder joints.  No dice.  Looks like the tube has failed.  Pity, it had a great picture.  Big as a boxcar.  Heavy as one too.  But still a great picture.

The big PITA will be pulling all my audio gear and rewiring for the new connections.  There's only about 200' of cable and connectors strung behind my entertainment center, non of which can be access from the front.

If anyone sees a screaming deal on a 32" posted on line, reply to this thread.  720p is fine for where this set will be.

Brad

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
Check this site by typing in the name and model # to see if there is a known fix available ...
I found a fix there for a Magnavox flat screen that was simple and it worked ....  ;)

Website ... http://www.fixya.com/support/t474223-magnavox_37mf231d_331d_lcd
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
Went there and came up with this...

as sound is present but no video
it is due to
loose contact in connector or print.
if it is ok than there must be oroblem in ckt.
1 crt base loose.
2 supply to video &signal processor absent.
3 components in video section.
4 voltage on crt base not proper like g2 & filament.
remember it is not major problem.
hope this will help
good luck

CRT base loose - Pulled the board off the CRT base and reset.  Nothing

Supply to video &signal processor absent - absent a supply, there should still be some indication that the tube is firing.  There isn't.  Aside from being able to detect the static charge at the front of the screen (using the time-honored method of sticking my arm against it and feeling the hair stand up) the screen evidences nary a flicker, dot, or jitter.

Components in video section - See diagnosis for "absent video signal"

Voltage on crt base not proper like g2 & filament - Not a clue what this means or how to test it.

Brad
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:18 PM »
4x3, analog tuned, 640x480, e-waste
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »
'04 it's possible it does 408p or even 1080i. like this sony. but it probably wasn't, if it is fight to keep it. crts just look better. [popcorn]

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »
It is capable of 720i via the component inputs.  Compared to my old set, which I just finished temporarily jury-rigging into my intertainment center, it's like 8mm vs DVD.  Take the lower resolution, add in the really nifty greenish hue my old set lends to everything and, well, it kinda takes the enjoyment out of watching pretty much everything.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:17:24 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »
Looks like the heater went *pffft*.  Unfortunately it's not the heater circuit on the board, it's in the tube.  Tube replacement cost, $230 plus $85 labor.

"Mr Dempster.  Paging Mr Dempster.  Please stand by for a delivery."

Also, I'm hitting Craigslist to see if someone has a 32" they want to part with.  Jeez but people can be out of touch.  "I paid $600 a year ago.  Other than not having any of the docs, and the remote not working, and a huge scratch down the side it's in perfect shape so I'm asking $550."  Never mind that I can buy a more recent model of that same TV for $385, new.  They get all kinds of bent out of shape when you offer something reasonable.  How dense can people be?  (I take that back - I know how dense they can be.  The same people want 10% over market for their house because they used Heavy Duty Nails and Rachel Ray paint to install their Martha Stewart combination catbox/onion bin.)

Brad
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:40:41 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
If you're willing to wait for one to show up, woot.com occasionally has pretty good deals on LCD flat-panel displays.  The real trick is that you'll never know when a deal is coming, so if you're in a hurry to replace the set, woot's not a good solution for you.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
Been watching them, too.  Even going to their Sellout.woot site.  Not a bad place for other assorted goodies, either, though you do have to be careful about the often-extravagent shipping fees some vendors try and sneak in.

Brad
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »
woot had a humdinger go by about a week ago
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
Why do you hate our future generations?
They'll probably turn out to be jerks anyway.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

I thought humdingers went extinct?

Brad
-HankB

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
lol

they had a 42 inch lcd i think samsung for 399 refurbished
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
Great price.  Unfortunately it would have been too big for my entertainment center.  Max width is 30.5" if I want it to sit inside the opening, 34" if I sit it on the lip in front of the opening.

Brad
-HankB

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
the 42  inch is a diagonal measurement   one of the greatest marketing scams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
Agreed.  Ranks right up there with Free Refills For Life (plus a small S&H fee).

Unfortunately, 42" diagonal translates to about 38-39" actual width when you figure in the screen size plus bezel.  The new LED units have smaller bezels than units with flourescent backlighting.  The current offerings are also stunningly good in terms of picture.  Problem is they are way out of my price range (32" LED-lit units start around a grand).

Brad
-HankB

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:54:39 PM »
i just got the kid one  23 inch from amazon   Samsung 2333HD 23-Inch Multi-Function Full 1080p HDTV LCD monitor
231 including shipping  ordered yesterday be here weds.  so they claim

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:19 PM »
handy tv pickin' link. [popcorn] just remember the bezel, and stand if your not mounting.

• friends

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 12:37:33 AM »

I'm waiting on Woot! to sell a time machine, then I'll go back and get all the good deals.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »
here you go brad
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A3612353&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=39715&lid=1003774

Good looking TV.  Still a little higher than I have budgeted, though.  I'm trying to stay in the under $350 range (including tax and shipping).  Fortunately I have the luxury of time.

Brad
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 01:02:15 AM »
http://www.refurbdepot.com/SAMSUNG_LN-26C450.cfm

LN-26C450

26" 720p LCD HDTV, 1366 x 768 Pixel Resolution, 20,000:1 Contrast ratio, 16:9 Aspect ratio, ATSC/Clear QAM/NTSC Tuner, HDMI input, SRS TruSurround.

Our Price: $369.95
List Price:$869.99
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"