Author Topic: a classic example of the flaws in our legal system  (Read 6584 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
a classic example of the flaws in our legal system
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
http://themoderatevoice.com/105277/the-false-imprisonment-of-john-thompson-connick-v-thompson/

guy on death row for 14 plus years   and the prosecution had the evidence that woulda cleared him and sat on it.. what sanctions did/should they face for that?

"Two days before the armed robbery trial, prosecutors received the results of the blood tests from the crime lab. By later admission of the District Attorney’s office, they intentionally withheld the crime lab report and did not turn it over to the defense despite the defense having officially requested, among other things, “all scientific test results.”

As the armed robbery trial began its first day, prosecutors removed all evidence in the case from the police property room and checked it into the court property room. Except for the blood stained swatch. The swatch was removed from the police property room, but never made it to the court property room. It has never been seen again."
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
Re: a classic example of the flaws in our legal system
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »
As Thompson’s case moved to the murder trial, the prosecutors, robbery conviction in hand, failed to turn over the witness description of the murderer. You see, Thompson wasn’t six feet tall with close cropped hair. He was 5 foot 8 and wore his hair in a large Afro in 1984. Prosecutors also failed to turn over the audio tape of their “informant” showing that he was paid for his services. And that additional “witness” the informant led them to? He became the prosecution’s key witness. He was an African American, six feet tall, whose nickname was Kojak because of his close cropped hair.

Authorities also failed to produce a police report in which one of their witnesses gave statements to the police that contradicted their testimony at trial. They also coached witnesses, improper conduct by legal ethics standards, to work around evidence supporting Thompson’s innocence. In all, at least ten exculpatory exhibits were withheld from the defense.

No, that’s not all. In 1994, five years prior to Thompson’s scheduled execution, one of his prosecutors fell ill with terminal cancer. With just months left to live, and perhaps fearing for his eternal soul, he confessed to another former prosecutor who was not involved in the case that he had withheld the blood evidence. The confession was held secret for the next five years as Thompson languished on death row. It was not disclosed until after the investigator found the old microfiche of the lab results.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
Tit for tat seems fair. Send em to death row.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

tincat2

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
what i don't get is how can so many support the death penalty when they know this kind of stuff is out there. i haven't a scrap of sympathy for the perpetrators of some of the horrendous acts all too common in society, but why give supreme authority to officious characters who are no better than the worst we would see dead. i wouldn't give that kind of power to anyone.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
Show me any system that will still be fair and functional when filled with bad actors.

My idealism has been quite tarnished when semi local offices were won by DA's campaigning with promises that are violations of the oath of office.  It has only been in the last 5 years or so that they no longer pretend the DA is anything more than a political position.

I liked it much better when they pretended.  Still, I dream of the oath being taken seriously and offices filled with statesmen rather than mere gov employees.  It saddens me the notion of vocation is gone, folks now just have jobs, not callings.  

But yah, anyone in a position of authority who would tolerate, much less orchestrate, an innocent man going to death row deserves the roles to be switched.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
what i don't get is how can so many support the death penalty when they know this kind of stuff is out there. i haven't a scrap of sympathy for the perpetrators of some of the horrendous acts all too common in society, but why give supreme authority to officious characters who are no better than the worst we would see dead. i wouldn't give that kind of power to anyone.

Well, the death penalty makes it a big deal, giving an explosion to the opportunities for review, both from outside and from above. 

If it weren't for the death penalty, this guy would 'merely' spend his entire natural life in prison. 

Give me liberty or give me death.  I don't like the practice of the government keeping slaves. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
these officers of the court have as yet faced no earthly sanctions

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
the legal injustice system  =(   ;/

As far as the death penalty, it's best when carried out at the moment of the crime by the intended victim  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:49 PM »
so how many "officers of the court" sat on the info? both originally and years later during the ongoing coverup

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
Reverse the rolls and let them rot in prison. Anyone who knew the guy was innocent should join them. Part of the problems when you base success on numbers and a conviction rate rather than actually solving crimes and prosecuting the right guy.

As to the death penalty, no system is perfect and never will be. Is rotting in jail for 60 years really all that much better or make it less an outrage then someone who came close to being executed for a crime they were innocent off?

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
i agree i think some lawyers need to go to the house of many doors.  the innocent guy should sue them blind  including the guy who died's estate.  lawyers need to be afraid to do this  including connick.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:17:59 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

schutzen

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
My guess is Thompson will receive a large settlement from the state. It would be fair to Thompson and to the state's taxpayers if this settlement was paid from state pension funds and the pensions for the court officers (both police and prosecutors involved) were revoked/terminated.

This may sound harsh, but they knowingly imprisoned an innocent man to further their careers.  Really thinking about it, this may not be harsh enough.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »
i agree i think some lawyers need to go to the house of many dooers.  the innocent guy should sue them blind  including the guy who died's estate.  lawyers need to be afraid to do this  including connick.
Oh I think the suing will happen in short order.

But that's far from enough. Those who are entrusted with the public good and enforcing laws should know that stiff civil and criminal penalties are waiting for them when this sort of thing is pulled. Serious penalties to pay what the state should be paying this man to compensate him and serious jail time as well.

I'd be interested to see what pops up from other cases that this guy handled.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
his suit was just overturned by the supreme court  he had won 14 mill.  were that me? it would be a shooting offense

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
http://themoderatevoice.com/105277/the-false-imprisonment-of-john-thompson-connick-v-thompson/

guy on death row for 14 plus years   and the prosecution had the evidence that woulda cleared him and sat on it.. what sanctions did/should they face for that?

They take his place.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
yea  that works for me  it would encourage good behavior

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
makes me speechless to think they did this on purpose.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 05:56:38 PM »
and it was a group thing  multiple "officers of the court " conspired and then when one bottom feeder confessed on his deathbed to another guardian of the public trust that one picked up the conspiracy without missing a beat. no big deal to any of them that an innocent man was in jail and a guilty murderer went free it was all about them and their record.  i think connick needs to swing.  it happened on his watch

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
They take his place.

Sounds good to me....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
his suit was just overturned by the supreme court  he had won 14 mill.  were that me? it would be a shooting offense

SCOTUS merely followed long-established legal theory in reversing the $14Million award.  14 USC 1983 claims of violation of Constitutional rights under color of law require proving an established policy of knowingly violating those rights.  Thompson failed to offer any proof of an existing, official policy - mainly because nobody is stupid enough to enact such a policy or condone such behavior once it becomes known someone is intentionally violating Constitutional rights.  Honestly, it looks like a rookie mistake.

He might still have state tort claims for false imprisonment, loss of income, emotional/physical duress and a raft of other claims based on the Brady violation, as well as claims against some of the players for mis/mal/non-feasance of office if he can show the test results were not brought forward sooner due to any reason except plain ignorance/stupidity.

Under tort laws he might get anywhere between $750,000 - $1Million per year for false imprisonment and maybe between $10 - $25Million for mis/mal/non-feasance.  It all depends on if his attorney somehow managed to preserve his claims under tort law in spite of literally screwing the pooch on the 1983 suit.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »
his suit was just overturned by the supreme court  he had won 14 mill.  were that me? it would be a shooting offense

Where'd this come from?

It's an oopsie.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
Intentional letting a man languish on death row is tantamount to attempted murder especially if they knew he was innocent, which one of them did. I wish people would get ANGRY again. Like during Vietnam or during the civil rights era, people got ANGRY back then and they marched, held sit ins and actually did something. People need to start getting angry again and show a little peaceful civil disobedience. If 1000 people marched to the county court house and held sit ins in all the court rooms this crap would start getting addressed seriously. Multiple court officers deserve to be in jail right now and sadly I don't see that happening.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »
several folks knew he was innocent at the trial and then a new guy joined the conspiracy after he heard the death row confession if that doesn't constitute an ongoing conspiracy i don't know what will

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
On the other side of this, what was the defense attorney doing through all this?  Did he just push a request into the system and nothing else?  Hearing about some of this, it seems as if he spent very little time on the case. 

I like the comment above about taking the settlement out of the pensions of those involved, most especially those for which it can be proven they did it knowingly.  Any still in practice should be disbarred or fired.  There needs to be some personal pain here.  Criminal charges would be better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 12:35:15 AM »
All systems involving humans are necessarily imperfect. Until I can welcome our robot overlords, this is it. The problem with both our legal and political system is we have allowed the lawyers/judges/politicians to insulate themselves from the system they run.

The only way to make our systems more fair, is make punishments harsh, and crimes committed by those inside the system zealously prosecuted and with the harshest penalties of all. Even then there will be massive corruption at every level, but it's the best we can do.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.