Author Topic: Finally! LCR 22lr  (Read 6590 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Finally! LCR 22lr
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
I've wanted one in 22lr since the 38 came out. 

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-lcr-22-new-gun-review/

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Finally! LCR 22lr
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »
Cool.  I like the .38 version, though I could never really justify buying a third .38SP revolver.
A .22 OTOH ...... =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
That's cool! I could be tempted myself, if for no other reason than I would practice A LOT more with a .22 version and maybe improve my ability with that platform. The .38 LCR is a great pocket gun, but frankly, shooting a box of factory .38s, or worse, +Ps, wears me out more than 100 rounds through my .44mag.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
I'm looking forward to it as a lightweight plinking gun I can toss in my daypack while I carry a larger gun on my hip.  My Bearcat is a touch too heavy for that IMO.  The LCR-22 is 10oz lighter than my Bearcat and carries 2 more shots. :D

I never bought the 38 version because I have a nice M37 that has been my CCW for years.  However, the trigger on the LCR is about the nicest DA trigger I've come across.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
I've wanted one in 22lr since the 38 came out. 

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-lcr-22-new-gun-review/

Chris

Interesting.  Wonder what else is in the queue.  A longer barrel revolver on the LCR platform, perhaps?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Meh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
9mm would be very interesting........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »
Put me on the "!WANT!" list....and for the 9mm version, too...  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
why 9mm?  You'd have 5, maybe 6 shots and it wouldn't be anymore potent than a good 38 or 357mag, which already exists.  I think it overlaps the existing calibers too much and lacks the capacity that makes 9mm attractive.

Chris

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
why 9mm?  You'd have 5, maybe 6 shots and it wouldn't be anymore potent than a good 38 or 357mag, which already exists.  I think it overlaps the existing calibers too much and lacks the capacity that makes 9mm attractive.

Chris
'Cause I can't get one now, dammit!

I would like a revolver that shares a common caliber with my auto.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
Perfect. I have been wanting to get my wife a small revolver in .38 along with a .22 that she can use for training.

This definitely tips the balance from M&P to LCR.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
9mm would be very interesting........

Taurus made a 9mm back aways.  There is one in my "tool" chest. ;/

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »
Here is a listing on Gunbroker:  Auction # 265312909  $459.00 + FFL and shipping. =(

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
'Cause I can't get one now, dammit!

I would like a revolver that shares a common caliber with my auto.

+1 to both statements.....that, and I could use it for practice cheaper than I can get .38SPL ammo and still have similar recoil & performance....and it would make a good backup gun....esp. if it didn't need moon clips to operate....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
+1 to both statements.....that, and I could use it for practice cheaper than I can get .38SPL ammo and still have similar recoil & performance....and it would make a good backup gun....esp. if it didn't need moon clips to operate....
After seeing Jerry Miculek reload with full moon clips, I would consider them now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw
Of course, Jerry shoots .45.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
After seeing Jerry Miculek reload with full moon clips, I would consider them now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw
Of course, Jerry shoots .45.

If I could wear Jerry's rig as my CHL carry, I might consder it.....however, Texas says we still have to conceal our guns....  :facepalm:

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
I'm looking forward to it as a lightweight plinking gun I can toss in my daypack while I carry a larger gun on my hip.

+1

Seems like the Bersa .22 will be staying in the drawer.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
The problem with "LCR as plinking/farm gun" for me is that I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a DAO snubby, and thus it's not really that useful.

When I can get an ultralight .22 revolver with a 4 inch barrel and single-action trigger, I will have something to displace the MKII.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
The problem with "LCR as plinking/farm gun" for me is that I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a DAO snubby, and thus it's not really that useful.

I can.  I shoot nearly 100% DA with revolvers ranging from J-frame snubbies up to a Ruger Redhawk with hunting loads.  All it takes is practice and a commitment to not use the SA crutch.  That said, I made a decision about 12 years ago to not rely on SA with my DA revolvers.  The first few months were ugly, but after a while, my trigger pull became smoother and my accuracy returned.  Nowadays, I'm more accurate shooting DA than SA.  The primary exception is my K38 which has Herrett Target Stocks.  They're a bit awkward for DA use.

The LCR trigger is so light and smooth, I suspect it'll be an easy shooter.  The front sight is pinned and there are already aftermarket replacements (Ashley Dot sight for example).  That will make the sight picture better.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »
I have been reading reports of folks getting these guns for prices in the low $400s.  I thought they'd be at least $450 to start.  I may end up with one sooner than I realized.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »

When I can get an ultralight .22 revolver with a 4 inch barrel and single-action trigger, I will have something to displace the MKII.

Ruger Bearcat  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »
The Bearcat is 10oz heavier than the LCR 22.  I have the Bearcat and will be adding the LCR 22 to my collection.

Chris

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 03:02:30 PM »
if I ever have $ again I want one, I have been thinking about a lcr in .357 mag as a carry gun.
Some one on calguns I think mentioned "crimp jump" as a possible problem in a light frame .357 wheelgun with serious defense rounds-can anyone explain what that means?

seems like the lcr in .22lr is a great practice gun for the lcr in either .38/.357.

I want a Bearcat too, because they look awesome.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
if I ever have $ again I want one, I have been thinking about a lcr in .357 mag as a carry gun.
Some one on calguns I think mentioned "crimp jump" as a possible problem in a light frame .357 wheelgun with serious defense rounds-can anyone explain what that means?

Crimp jump is when the recoil of the gun causes a bullet to gradually unseat from the casing.  This has, in some cases, led to a bullet sticking out of the cylinder and stopping the cylinder from turning.  There have been documented instances of ultralight .357 handguns with full power loads with lead bullets having this problem. All of the documented cases I have seen have been with S&W scandium snubbies with full power 125gr Lead bullets. It results in the gun not being able to fire the 5th round.  

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »

Crimp jump is when the bullet, due to inertial forces from the fird round, projects a bit farther out of the casing - it "jumps" the crimping that was supposed to hold it in place.  Pretty much as RHS has described, but it can happen with any handgun and any load.

Loads that jump the crimp may not do so to a great extent on the next round in rotation, but by the time you work all the way around the cylinder you can end up jammed because the bullet projects too far out.1

The same thing can happen if you keep your top round in the magazine of a bottom-feeder, but regularly extract it and then reload by letting the slide go (like you are supposed to).  One day it has too much OAL and will not chamber and you have a wonderful malfunction to try and clear.2

Easiest way to check for 1 is to shoot 5 and pull #6 and compare it to a round out of the box.  If OAL is greater, you have crimp jump.  Checking for 2 is easier - just compare your top round's OAL with one fresh out of the box.

"Curing" crimp jump can be done by, as counter-intuitive as it may seem, using a heavier bullet.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.