Author Topic: Finally! LCR 22lr  (Read 6589 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Finally! LCR 22lr
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
I used to have a sp101 .357 that would stop rotating after a few dozen rounds-I thought it was simply dust or particles from the bullets & it would go away with a quick cleaning ( usually ) I would shoot mostly fed hydrashok at the time-was that crimp jump?
( man I wish I still had that gun )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
I used to have a sp101 .357 that would stop rotating after a few dozen rounds-I thought it was simply dust or particles from the bullets & it would go away with a quick cleaning ( usually ) I would shoot mostly fed hydrashok at the time-was that crimp jump?
( man I wish I still had that gun )

In that case, it is highly unlikely that it was crimp jump, as that typically happens with very lightweight guns, and not heavier all steel guns. Moreover, crimp jumping is a very intermittent problem even on gun/ammo combinations that are susceptible. From what you describe, I would suspect that your particular SP101 might have had too tight a tolerance between the cylinder and the forcing cone.  When the tolerances are too tight there, the little bit of expansion of the metals due to heat, or the slightest amount of carbon fouling can result in the cylinder binding.

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
In that case, it is highly unlikely that it was crimp jump, as that typically happens with very lightweight guns, and not heavier all steel guns. Moreover, crimp jumping is a very intermittent problem even on gun/ammo combinations that are susceptible. From what you describe, I would suspect that your particular SP101 might have had too tight a tolerance between the cylinder and the forcing cone.  When the tolerances are too tight there, the little bit of expansion of the metals due to heat, or the slightest amount of carbon fouling can result in the cylinder binding.

My Security Six doesn't like waxed lead bullets but does fine with jacketed.

Sometimes a little slop isn't a bad thing.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
Ok, why does using a heavier bullet help crimp jump? It seems backward.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 09:35:23 PM »
My SP101 is one of my favorite weapons - very small, sturdy, and powerful.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
Ok, why does using a heavier bullet help crimp jump? It seems backward.

Agreed....esp. since the Airlite S&W .44SPL specifically limited bullets to 200gr. and less.....

Quote from: Michael Bane
my 396 AirLite Ti .44 Special clocked in at just 18 ounces...but boys and girls, the AirLites are a bitch to shoot. Plus, the. 44 Special are specifically marked for 200-grain or lighter bullets for fear of the heavy, super-fast recoil impulse causeing the bullet to jump the cripm and move forwward in the casing, locking the gun up.

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2008/02/period-exclmation-point-on-concept-of.html
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.