Author Topic: Probing the APS bank of knowledge  (Read 6595 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Probing the APS bank of knowledge
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
Calling all chemists, professional and, aahhh, amature: I'm an ER nurse & SWMBO is a Med Tech in same hospital lab. We're were seeing a lot of "bath salts" for a while but they're now illegal, for what that's worth. Hearing on the news about "synthetic marijuana" hitting big & kids coming to ED with high BP, etc. We're seening kids completely gorked but showing negative UDS. Our lab test for 10 drugs. How the hell are they masking this????????????
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Probing the APS bank of knowledge
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »
Not a chemist but I know this one!

The tests you are using are not looking for the stuff you are dealing with.

Explain to the head of toxicology testing that failing to add appropriate new tests exposes them both professionally and personally to liability, as well as exposing the hospital.  Be sure to mention the availability of government money and an armored vehicle to transport specimins in.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
Calling all chemists, professional and, aahhh, amature: I'm an ER nurse & SWMBO is a Med Tech in same hospital lab. We're were seeing a lot of "bath salts" for a while but they're now illegal, for what that's worth. Hearing on the news about "synthetic marijuana" hitting big & kids coming to ED with high BP, etc. We're seening kids completely gorked but showing negative UDS. Our lab test for 10 drugs. How the hell are they masking this????????????
What 10 drug types do you look for?
I sure I can't guess them all but...
Opiates
LSD
THC
Alcohol
Methamphetamines
Coke/crack
Barbiturates
Oxycodone type drugs
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
tricyclids & extasy also

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
As a former analytical chemist, I can answer this: the cannabinoids used in the synthetic marijuana do not trigger the THC test.  They are different enough from THC such that they are not picked up by testing in a routine drug panel.  You can detect some characteristic metabolites through GC/MS, but you have to know exactly what you are looking for. 

Skilled chemists can make synthetic cannabinoids that are not illegal but still have psychoactive effects just by changing a couple of molecules.  The science has far outstripped the law in these cases. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
This *expletive deleted*it is very hard to detect.

And it's very, very wicked, too, and very popular. One of the more extreme cases I've heard is a guy who went crazy plucked his own eyeball out while high on bath salts (IIRC).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:59:33 PM »
can you test for lsd?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:06:29 AM »
This *expletive deleted* is very hard to detect.

And it's very, very wicked, too, and very popular. One of the more extreme cases I've heard is a guy who went crazy plucked his own eyeball out while high on bath salts (IIRC).

Are you sure that wasn't just the final scene from The Man With the X-Ray Eyes?   :angel:
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »
Indeed.

For what it's worth, many states have banned "synthetic marijuana".  Here's more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_cannabis

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
Navy has just booted a hundred or so in the past 6 months or so for Spice and here in my unit there have been a couple of guys popped for it.  No tests but were ratted out.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »
Don't probe too deep for knowledge. Might need some rubber vet gloves and boots around here.  :O

There happen to be a couple of stories tonight on MSN.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/19/10760892-asian-leaf-kratom-making-presence-felt-in-us-emergency-rooms

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/19/10759284-side-effects-of-synthetic-pot-aka-spice-may-be-missed-by-er-docs

And don't forget to watch out for signs of the cinnamon challenge.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »
smoked bacon
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
It's pretty hard to treat someone if you don't know what the problem it. Worst bath salts case I personally was seemed to be self-propagation, the more crap this kid did, the more he wanted, been stormin' for 4 days till his also gorked GF called some friends for help.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
I hear its the new meth, which was the new heroin, which was the new crack, which was the new cocaine, which was the new heroin...

Also, I wonder how safe this new mj-ish stuff is relative to old-school mj?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »
I hear its the new meth, which was the new heroin, which was the new crack, which was the new cocaine, which was the new heroin...

Old school is a lot safer. Other than it's bred potency, we've got a few thousand years of data on it.  =D

The new synthetic stuff? They tweak it enough so it's legally "different", or will pass drug tests for the old stuff, and the testing is "Do you feel something?" and if the answer is "Yeah", they ship it out.

Pretty much the equivalent of  people dying from methanol bathtub gin during Prohibition.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
I smoked the fake stuff once. Smells weird and tastes even weirder. The high was similar to the real deal but felt less comfortable. It only lasted about fifteen minutes. Guy who had it is a felon on parole (hard drugs) and uses it because he can't pop on the real stuff. Basically for him, it's better then nothing when he's bored with booze.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »
Guy who had it is a felon on parole (hard drugs) and uses it because he can't pop on the real stuff. Basically for him, it's better then nothing when he's bored with booze.

With an endorsement like that, no wonder it has taken the nation by storm!   :lol:

Old school is a lot safer. Other than it's bred potency, we've got a few thousand years of data on it.  =D

The new synthetic stuff? They tweak it enough so it's legally "different", or will pass drug tests for the old stuff, and the testing is "Do you feel something?" and if the answer is "Yeah", they ship it out.

Pretty much the equivalent of  people dying from methanol bathtub gin during Prohibition.

I suspected as much.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
can you test for lsd?
Supposedly. As I understand it, most tests don't, as it's very difficult to detect the miniscule amounts needed without special tests.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »

Much less safe.  Old school mj is pretty safe unless it is laced or otherwise combined/contaminated with other agents. Roughly double as risky as tobacco, give or take. In other words, virtually no short term risk except for asthmatics/allergies but long term health risks. You'd be extremely hard pressed to find an example of THC lethal overdose, if it has EVER happened.

New stuff is ... Extremely variable. Some of it is pretty friggin dangerous, others mildly so. From what I understand, it is wildly variable in terms of risk and effects. That is actually the largest risk. You have little to no knowledge of reactions, because of the complete lack of QC and difficulty in effective testing.

vaskidmark is point on. Hospitals very much need a secondary tox screen for these. It will unfortunately be significantly more complicated compared to garden variety opiates, THC, amphetamines, ethanol and barbiturates.  
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »
vaskidmark is point on. Hospitals very much need a secondary tox screen for these. It will unfortunately be significantly more complicated compared to garden variety opiates, THC, amphetamines, ethanol and barbiturates.  

If we have to risk our children's lives to reduce the risk to our children's lives caused by illicit drugs, I'm sure it is for the best.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
Supposedly. As I understand it, most tests don't, as it's very difficult to detect the miniscule amounts needed without special tests.

i've never even heard of anyone actually testing for acid. and you'd think i'd have run into at least one by now.   and i know i never tested positive for it and if they test for it i shoulda. and i was pretty candid about what i liked to use so those in charge of testing knew
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »
I've heard that the best and most reliable test for LSD is using hair follicles.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »
From what I understand, LCD metabolises so quickly that the actual drug is out of the system before the trip has barely begun.
They can't test for what is not there.

Drug testing on hair seems most relibable to catch almost everything, since once you put it in your system, traces grow out with your hair. And, if the hair is long enough, you can literally see a timeline of what was used when.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
I've heard that the best and most reliable test for LSD is using hair follicles.

they must not test for it in va though i only got one hair test. they may just settle for one violation and not look further. i had a perfect score on those tests till 92

you ever see those lil tiny balls contained in a "contact" allergy cap? microdot is the size of one of those balls think of a ball the diameter of a mechanical pencil lead as the effective dose

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »
From what I understand, LCD metabolises so quickly that the actual drug is out of the system before the trip has barely begun.
They can't test for what is not there.

Drug testing on hair seems most relibable to catch almost everything, since once you put it in your system, traces grow out with your hair. And, if the hair is long enough, you can literally see a timeline of what was used when.

It's expensive, because the hair essentially is vaporized in a gas chromatograph. The machine is expensive, and it's labor intensive, because a lab tech has to walk through the whole process with each sample. Granted, computers do a lot of the heavy lifting and analysis now, but it's still some "real lab work".

The other stuff is just dip-sticks, drop cards, or reagents that turn colors when the agent is present. Much closer to the "trained monkey labtech" end of the spectrum.

But I've got to tell you, LCD's taste horrible. I've no idea why anyone would use the stuff. Might as well chew on shards of the old CRT's instead.  =D
I promise not to duck.